Ovens.,Gas or Electric?

DrB

My ex-wife was electric all the way for appliances.  When we split I ran the gas line into the house . Propane here here only where I am at.  Not going back to electric for the main cooking ever....   Heating up leftovers and the small stuff heating up, yes electric... Just ordered a new Breville toaster oven.

Dave..

1 minute ago, steve4102 said:

LOL,

Many "Modern" Gas appliances still need Electricity to operate the electronic circuit boards  that make them run.

You are a comical dude, I'll give you that.

You can still run a generator, buddy heater or outdoor gas grill. I'd take gas over a bunch of 5 gal gas canisters every time we get hit by a hurricane.

17 minutes ago, crockett said:

You can still run a generator, buddy heater or outdoor gas grill. I'd take gas over a bunch of 5 gal gas canisters every time we get hit by a hurricane.

No doubt, but to claim that gas appliances will run even with the power out (without Backup) is just another brain dead comment from him.

I do not have a gas range, but I do have a gas boiler, water heater and fireplace.  None of these will "run" without electricity.

I have installed a 10K back-up generator that runs on LP or Gasoline.  It is not automatic, I have to manually flip the transfer switch and start the generator.

Without that and even with a Natural Gas Boiler I would be busting water pipes in the winter if the power goes out for an extended period of time.

Gas is great, but unless you are set up to live off the grid, it still requires electricity to ignite. 

OH, and my Back-up generator will run my electric range as well.

Edited by steve4102
  • Like 1

Many times I have heated the house with no power turning on the burner and lighting it with a lighter.

”modern” is the issue. Like having a landline when the power goes out. Lots of snow and ice storms around here and in “the old days’

as far as brain dead...ignore me or **** off

10 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Many times I have heated the house with no power turning on the burner and lighting it with a lighter.

”modern” is the issue. Like having a landline when the power goes out. Lots of snow and ice storms around here and in “the old days’

as far as brain dead...ignore me or **** off

LOL.

Got Gas forced air heat?

Got Gas Boiler Heat?

Neither works without electricity and neither does your cook top in most if not all modern day kitchens.

So you agree that Gas doesn't "flow" without power.  Maybe there is hope for you yet, but I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, DrB said:

My ex-wife was electric all the way for appliances.  When we split I ran the gas line into the house . Propane here here only where I am at.  Not going back to electric for the main cooking ever....   Heating up leftovers and the small stuff heating up, yes electric... Just ordered a new Breville toaster oven.

Dave..

9 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

“Modern”

Yup, the OP was talking "MODERN" you no so much. Missed the intent of the OP again, dintcha.

4 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Half a dozen homes around me are heated with that modern “wood” stuff. But ok, be a dick.

OP, good luck 

Wood?

The OP is talking Gas, gas that he installed after he separated from his gal.

Who the hell said anything about wood?

Focus man, focus, try and keep up and put down the bong.

2 hours ago, steve4102 said:

Neither works without electricity and neither does your cook top in most if not all modern day kitchens.

Gas cooktops work just fine without power. You just have to use a match to light the gas. The same as 60 years ago. Ovens are a different story.

• Like 2

When we moved back to Kansas from Texas we brought our almost new electric stove even though the new house has gas heat, hot water and range, I ran a dedicated 220v 50a circuit so my wife could have both.  The kitchen is so big that there was plenty of room to put in an island in the kitchen and install the electric range, she uses both depending on what she is cooking and the top of the gas range will still work without electricity by just lighting the burner with a match.  My hot water heater doesn't need external power to run so even without electricity I have the gas stove top, plenty of hot water and my wood burning fire place, since I have better than a cord of cut fire wood under the patio cover I'm not terribly worried.

• Like 3

When we rebuilt our house after the fire, the wife went to great extremes to design her kitchen. The contractor often joked that they were building a kitchen with living quarters.

So Suzanne decided on electric for her built in oven/microwave and a very expensive gas cook top (it does work when the power is out) . She seems quite pleased with this set up. 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2018 at 4:49 PM, steve4102 said:

No doubt, but to claim that gas appliances will run even with the power out (without Backup) is just another brain dead comment from him.

I do not have a gas range, but I do have a gas boiler, water heater and fireplace.  None of these will "run" without electricity.

I have installed a 10K back-up generator that runs on LP or Gasoline.  It is not automatic, I have to manually flip the transfer switch and start the generator.

Without that and even with a Natural Gas Boiler I would be busting water pipes in the winter if the power goes out for an extended period of time.

Gas is great, but unless you are set up to live off the grid, it still requires electricity to ignite. 

OH, and my Back-up generator will run my electric range as well.

I can and do run my gas oven whithout electricity, there's these things called matches that mysteriously burst into flame when rubbed, I turn the knob and place the match next to the burner and magically the burner is lit.

Just because you don't have the capability doesn't mean others don't.

And this can be done without electricity, I do it quite often when the power goes out

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, steve4102 said:

LOL.

Got Gas forced air heat?

Got Gas Boiler Heat?

So you agree that Gas doesn't "flow" without power.  Maybe there is hope for you yet, but I doubt it. 

I can light the cooktop burners on my modern natural gas stove when the power is out. Sure the boiler needs electricity. But I just throw another log in the wood stove.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I can light the cooktop burners on my modern natural gas stove when the power is out. Sure the boiler needs electricity. But I just throw another log in the wood stove.

I would argue with him...but I don’t bark