Tissot or Wenger watch

ARP

The Orient that I bought, I am sending it back, defective as far as I can tell. No way to zero the chrono. Disappointing to say the least as the other 2 auto Orients I have are above my expectations.

In shopping around the net for a replacement, I have focused in on a Tissot XL chrono with a blue face dial, silver/gray bracelet or a Wenger chronograph with blue face, ss bracelet. Both are quartz, both are Swiss made,  of course they both look great. I own a Wenger and a Tissot. The Tissot has that edge of quality to it, the second hand strikes the second marks almost dead on perfect, the Wenger is about the width of a second hand off, but is not a chronograph. If one were referring to that as sloppy, then buy a better watch. Both keep perfect time. The Wenger, the hands are that Swiss Army red color against the blue dial, the numbers are luminescent (very bright on the one I own) and from the appearance in the picture, the sub dials circles are silver outlined. Sporty. The Tissot, the sub dials look to be a darker color and are recessed, the hands and dot markers are luminous, if they are like my V8 model, not bright at all, even after charging them with a 400 lumen flashlight, subdued. Case sizes, Tissot 45mm, Wenger 44mm. Someone pointed out that the left subdial of the Tissot chops part of the zero off the 10, like the dials were an afterthought, again one of those little details like the second hand stops on my Wenger. Wenger is operated by a Ronda 5030D movement, Tissot????13 1/4"' whatever that is, both battery powered. 

My goot is telling me that the Wenger will be more to my liking, the Tissot just lacking in "pop" and is more subdued. Tissot, 3 weeks to delivery. Wenger, ships tomorrow if I like. Wenger, $236 Tissot, $249. 

4 minutes ago, Moeman said:

Check these out https://deepbluewatches.com/

Those are all fine if you are after a diver watch with rotating bezel etc.  I'm looking at uncomplicated chronograph with good lume at a reasonable price. When I'm doing an overnight charter, part of my mind game is estimating time enroute, how much do I have left to travel etc. The glance at my watch that has the green glow and a few mental calculations, helps to keep me alert. 

15 minutes ago, ARP said:

Those are all fine if you are after a diver watch with rotating bezel etc.  I'm looking at uncomplicated chronograph with good lume at a reasonable price. When I'm doing an overnight charter, part of my mind game is estimating time enroute, how much do I have left to travel etc. The glance at my watch that has the green glow and a few mental calculations, helps to keep me alert. 

I wanted a tritium watch because I got tired of shining a light on it. Working overnight runs all times of the night.

Marathon has some very good ones, Isobrite as well. I have a Carnival that I wear more than any. Accurate and easy to see at all times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

I wanted a tritium watch because I got tired of shining a light on it. Working overnight runs all times of the night.

Marathon has some very good ones, Isobrite as well. I have a Carnival that I wear more than any. Accurate and easy to see at all times.

Looks like the first Marathon that has a chrono is $1500+ and, they are dive watches. The ones that are not dive watches were not chronos.

Carnival? I did a search on them and for some reason could not find a website for them. Just retailers. That's okay, I'm going to stick with a few brands I'm familiar with. Was reading a few things this afternoon about Tissot; seems that some of their quartz watches fail after a few years with a battery not being the problem. I saw a second Wenger that is slightly different than the first one I saw, the start/ stop button for the chrono is square, and the price is about $24 more, curious as to why the higher price.

19 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Tritium watches are much more prevelant than even a few years ago. With prices all over the place.

chronos may limit the choices some

good luck with it.

I really like my tritium in Green, my wife's watch is in Pink and my daughter bought one in Blue.  Jianianhua brand on the face.  I have seen them with Carnival on the face also.

I am more interested in visibility, and these watches are superbly bright.  Tritium vials on the numbers, hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had some specific questions about the Wenger. The Tissot fell out of the running after I read a few reviews that indicated the quartz models, some of them stopped working after a few years and it was not a battery problem. The Wenger model (Attitude) comes in 2 versions. One has just standard push buttons for the chrono and plain blue face, the other has a square start /stop button with jimping on the button and the reset is a plain button. The blue face has what appears to be vertical lines running across the face. Both run on the same Ronda movement, both have metal bracelet with security clasp. Trying to determine the difference, other than $24.

Called the seller, they did not have the 2 watches on hand to check, they suggested I call Wenger direct. Called Wenger, did not have the watches on hand and no answer other than to call 1 of the 2 authorized repair shops in the US. They did not have an answer either.  So I called the seller back and ordered both and will figure it out on my own, pick one and ship the other back. 

• Like 1

I am hard on watches, wear every day at work.  I settled on Seiko 5's for my workday watches.  Lost one in the mud on the farm, found it a couple of months later under water.  Washed it off and it still worked.  The mineral crystal does scratch though.

Dave..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, crockett said:

$300 for the quartz version, $600 for the automatic.

BE CAREFUL!!! That watch is the most counterfeited watch in the world. Must buy from an authorized dealer. Yes, I really like that one too. If I had a do over, I would have bought it instead of the Orient Mako and the Tissot V8. Perhaps someday.

The blue faced Wengers arrived yesterday. The faces are slightly different, one has pin strips when viewed at certain angles, the other is solid. The major differences between the 2 is the case shapes are different, bezel vs no bezel and the no bezel case is chromed, bezeled is brushed ss. I think I know which one I'll keep.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ARP said:

BE CAREFUL!!! That watch is the most counterfeited watch in the world. Must buy from an authorized dealer. Yes, I really like that one too. If I had a do over, I would have bought it instead of the Orient Mako and the Tissot V8. Perhaps someday.

The blue faced Wengers arrived yesterday. The faces are slightly different, one has pin strips when viewed at certain angles, the other is solid. The major differences between the 2 is the case shapes are different, bezel vs no bezel and the no bezel case is chromed, bezeled is brushed ss. I think I know which one I'll keep.

Thanks.......  I did not know that.  Guy at work has an Orient Mako.  I like that watch also..

• Like 1