Now defunct retailers of your youth

Al Czervik

Western Auto.  When I was a boy used to get all my 22 ammo there.  My mom gave them permission to sell to me without an adult there, think I was was about 10.   Revelation brand if I remember correct.  My bicycles my parents bought me came from there as well.

Dave..

• Like 7

My buddy and I would spend idle Saturdays riding our bikes to the mall and just walking around, looking in the stores, watching girls, maybe seeing a movie or going to the arcade.

Montgomery Ward was one of the anchor stores, and their hardware department had a small gun counter that held a beautiful Browning Hi-Power. We'd ask to see it, and 100% of the time, the salesman would take it out and let us handle it. We were both about 12 years old and completely unaccompanied, but it was a different time, circa 1980.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

My mom was a manager of the local Montgomery Ward store.  She then went to work for Wal-Mart when they moved in.

My dad owned one of four gun shops in town.  His shut down in 2007.  Now there is only one left, and it is more of an "outdoors/hardware" store.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DrB said:

Western Auto.  When I was a boy used to get all my 22 ammo there.  My mom gave them permission to sell to me without an adult there, think I was was about 10.   Revelation brand if I remember correct.  My bicycles my parents bought me came from there as well.

Dave..

My dad got my first 22 there, it was a Revelation brand tube fed bolt action made by Marlin that he bought for both me and my younger brother to share, which we did, no problem. He also bought a 12 gauge pump for himself with an adjustable choke that was made by Mossberg.  Today, I have the Mossberg and my brother has the Marlin.

I remember one time I went into Western auto to look at the guns they had locked in a rack at one end of the store. I noticed that in the ceiling above one of the shotguns there was a big hole where someone must have loaded the gun and fired it off while it was in the rack! The ammo was not kept behind the counter at the time but I think after hat happened they started keeping the ammo behind the counter, but I don't really remember. at the time I didn't think to ask how it happened. Maybe I was afraid they'd accuse make of having been the one who did it, but who ever did it probably got caught with the smoking gun though the idiot might have tried to run away.

There was another store for a while called White Front (this was in Southern California) and my parents bought my youngest brother an electric guitar there that looked kind of like a fender Telecaster and was white with a maple neck. Later my little brother got a real Telecaster and gave the white front guitar but I never learned how to play it and ended up giving it to a musician friend of mine who seemed to think it was a pretty good guitar for something that probably cost $50 bucks or less at the time.

• Like 1

I remember the Monkey Ward store in Baltimore. The building also housed one of their 9 national warehouses. The place was huge. It's still there and has been converted to offices. According to wikip it has a 1,000 windows and 1.2 million sq.ft.

Montgomery_Ward_Warehouse_and_Retail_Sto

• Like 2

Sears.

Its not dead yet, but on life support.

Got my first "gun" at Sears, A Crosman .22 pellet rifle.  With a real wood stock.  C02 powered, I put down many a bird with it. 

My Dad was a hobby woodworker and purchased most of his tools from there.  I still have a good selection of Craftsman power tools, all made in the 1950's and 1960's.  Here is one, my Craftsman Jig Saw.

Craftsman%20Jig%20Saw.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrB said:

Dave..

The first firearm I fired was a Western Auto Revelation single shot 22.  I still have it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnbt said:

I remember the Monkey Ward store in Baltimore. The building also housed one of their 9 national warehouses. The place was huge. It's still there and has been converted to offices. According to wikip it has a 1,000 windows and 1.2 million sq.ft.

Montgomery_Ward_Warehouse_and_Retail_Sto

There was a Wards location in St. Paul in an area they called the "Midway" (I guess "midway" between Minneapolis and St. Paul) anyway, it also was a huge facility, both retail sales and regional shipping warehouse.  Not quite as bit as the above.

I once saw a video of the catalog ordering facility, and until their demise that location still used Index cards to keep track of their inventory.  The video was about how antiquated the process was.  But, it worked!