Anyone have two dishwashers?

gwalchmai

I've got two. Best investment I ever made. One is a stainless model made by Kenmore. The other is Texican made by Mr. and Mrs. Torres.

Pretty sure the stainless version will outlast the Texican one. (Plus it costs less at the end of the day.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I have one dishwasher in my apartment. Have never used it.

Now for a dishwasher story:

My parents built a new house in the early 60s. My mom wanted a dishwasher which she had never had. Whenever she used it, the dishes would come out looking as if they were not clean. So, she would rinse off the dishes, pans, etc. before putting them in the dishwasher; and they still came out looking not clean. Next step was to rinse them off before using the dishwasher, followed by rinsing them off after using the dishwasher. This went on for years; she tried several different types of dishwasher soap. Well, 20 years or so later, she decided to have the kitchen remodeled including all new appliances. When the guy was installing the new dishwasher, he said "this dishwasher is hooked up wrong. It circulates the dirty water back into the dishwasher to use in the rinse cycle. Once my mom began using the new, correctly installed dishwasher, everything came out looking clean and spotless as it should.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Our home was built in 1960 sans dishwasher.  Mrs N does not want one.  We lived in an apartment in Indy for a couple of years, it had a dishwasher.  We never used it.  The only reason I can see for one is to hide the dirty dishes until they are washed.  I would have one installed in a minute if she said yes. 

26 minutes ago, tehan2 said:

no, but in our last home we had a commercial (undercounter) dishwasher

It was a Hobart LXi.  a wash cycle was about 2 minutes long.  We could wash all of the Thanksgiving pots/pans/ and dishes in less than 10 minutes

How much does such a thing cost. I saw one for $3500. That's more than two Boschs. I agree that it would be fast, cycle-wise, but my bride is looking to have one as a "waiting to wash" and one as a "ready for use" thing. I know it sounds extravagant, but it's her line-in-the-sand and in return I get a private office.

fortyofforty - that may fall under Spock's advice to Stonn, on winning T'Pring ;)  

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

How much does such a thing cost. I saw one for $3500. That's more than two Boschs. I agree that it would be fast, cycle-wise, but my bride is looking to have one as a "waiting to wash" and one as a "ready for use" thing. I know it sounds extravagant, but it's her line-in-the-sand and in return I get a private office.

fortyofforty - that may fall under Spock's advice to Stonn, on winning T'Pring ;)  

I got mine used (I was in the business then, left it, and now back in) it needed about $280 in parts that a restaurant didn't want to pay for the labor from Hobart to install.  It took 15 minutes to put in , 30 minutes to clean and polish it so it looked good enough to put in the kitchen.  Our entire kitchen was used commercial equipment. 

But to answer the question, they're about $3500 new, they normally sell around $1500 used (LX30's and LX18's a little less because they're the old model)  Shopped well or needing work they run from free to $750.  The main computer board is the most expensive repair at around $1000, everything else is cheap and easy if you know what you're doing

• Like 1

My brother had two in one of his houses but it wasn't in the kitchen, they had a butlers pantry. Was nice if you entertained a lot. They also had two dryers in the laundry room. 

Now, they have a smaller house but still a fridge/freezer combo in the kitchen and a fridge only and a freezer only in the laundry room. Excess is best, I guess ;) BTW...that's just for two of them and they live summers elsewhere.

Edited by Zonny
  • Like 1