Microwave Ovens. anyone else not use.

DrB

I use it all the time.

Hot water, yes, but also some veggies, precooking potatoes before finishing in the pan, precooking brats or Italian sausage before finishing on grill or under broiler, microwavable Indian dishes in the little pouches (yum!), sauce for spaghetti, the kids like microwave Mac and cheese & microwave popcorn, but most often it's used for heating up left overs.

With a house full of kids, when we prepare a full meal, there's times I wish I had two to run alongside the oven and toaster oven.

I have said for years that I live out of my microwave. I purchase groceries based upon that they can be microwaved. I rarely use dishes and never use pans. It's paper plates, paper towels, and the container that the microwaveable food comes in. I have not used the kitchen range (stove) in years. The last time was over 10 years ago for french fries. My microwave is larger than those you see these days. I purchased it at Walmart, over 20 years ago. And yes, I microwave water for my Folgers coffee crystals. 

No use here, and mine will be kicked out soon, to be replaced with a proper and commercial grade range hood.

Those microwave / range hood combos are a total nightmare. If you cook regularly, the entire microwave will be full with grease, even if you wash these wannabe filters once a week. And you will still have a layer of grease on everything in the kitchen, because they suck like a 80 year old hooker.

No processed food here, and basically everything out of a microwave oven tastes bland and / or gets a rubbery texture. No thanks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crockett said:

No use here, and mine will be kicked out soon, to be replaced with a proper and commercial grade range hood.

Those microwave / range hood combos are a total nightmare. If you cook regularly, the entire microwave will be full with grease, even if you wash these wannabe filters once a week. And you will still have a layer of grease on everything in the kitchen, because they suck like a 80 year old hooker.

No processed food here, and basically everything out of a microwave oven tastes bland and / or gets a rubbery texture. No thanks.

Now, now.  Microwaved butter is neither bland, nor rubbery.

We use it regularly. We can heat up left overs, my wife makes popcorn in it, for a quick breakfast you can cook an egg in the microwave in the morning and toast your muffin then you have a cheap egg mcmuffin that takes a few minutes to make, etc.

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Yep... My same results over the years...  My microwave resides in the basement for emergency use only.  Even if that...

• Like 1

Works great for some things, others not so much.  A valuable kitchen multi tasker in general I'd say.

The key is Saran wrap.  Keeps in heat and moisture and prevents boil over within reason.

I keep waiting for the microwave freezer, much harder I guess.  Ice cubes on demand would be bad ass, except in EU of course.

I like my microwave. You just have to know what settings and times work best for what you're cooking.  a lot of times I make soup on the stove then put it in a pyrex bowl and add Ramen noodles and nuke it for about 3 minutes and the noodles soften up faster than if you just add them to the soup and let them soak, and you don't what to cook the ramen noodles with the soup because then they'll be too soft.

It's also good for warming up pizza or fried chicken