Pickup/SUV tires in the snow.

PNWguy

What do you like?

Bought a set of the Goodyear Duratracs this spring to put on my Yukon since they were supposed to be some of the best AT tires in the snow.  Drove around for the first time in snow a few minutes ago and not impressed.

Tracks look good...

G5K-3uE-Skz0cEcUJuytlzR37v3ZEVi3z3ywpwUjPHIpX92IB.jpg.b529af3a23f021f836f7fe733aeedf49.jpg

Oddly enough, on my previous vehicle, a 2014 Ram 1500, I installed a set of very cheap set of Milestar Patagonia MTs and had them siped.  They did amazingly well in the snow.

D_sVd28R-E2oB_Qk6sxsNEo2pWFCZ_iErkLqHowvLrwpX92IB.jpg.1ca287bc75ff4c4d893c321bb1b1cd14.jpg

May just be the very wet and heavy snow that is throwing off my perception.

What do you guys like for tires that also do well in the snow?

• Like 1

I have been driving in snow my whole life and I have come to a couple conclusions that have served me well all these years.

Do not go wide, big wide tires may look cool and may work great in the muck and the mud, but they are a poor choice in the snow.

Do not got aggressive.  They too look cool and will defiantly get you through the deep stuff, but one does not always drive through the deep stuff, plus I don't think they handle well on ice.  Besides, one still must drive on cleared pavements in both winter and summer. Very few people change tires in the spring and the fall like we did in the old days.  Swapping out the summer tires for the "snow" tires is a thing of the past.

The tires on my trucks must perform well in all conditions AND they must last at least 50K miles.

That brings me to my favorite Truck Tire, the Bridgestone  Dueler A/T.  The perfect combination of tread design and softness/hardness of rubber for unbelievable traction and longevity.

https://jet.com/product/Bridgestone-Dueler-AT-Rh-S-P26570R17-Tire-113S/11aadc3ec771481c89760a3d5c562d9b?jcmp=pla:ggl:nj_dur_gen_automotive_parts_accessories_a1:automotive_parts_accessories_tires_wheels_tires_a1:na:PLA_785913087_44722375167_pla-301754791093_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=785913087&is_retargeting=true&clickid=c8ce7418-f873-4c5e-898e-9a9769db66a4&kclid=c8ce7418-f873-4c5e-898e-9a9769db66a4&gclid=CjwKCAiAiuTfBRAaEiwA4itUqBLPI1qOU69UL6D_1Cp7JEgyZ2LROeAwojngjGBgNBbDEi2P4F0koBoCx-gQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rinspeed said:

I have the BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2s on my F150 now and they have been great.  I'm sure when they wear out I will put the same tires on it again.  If you check the big name tire websites the KO2s are always rated towards the top with good reason.

Good tires, the company I worked used them exclusively.

They did however complain about the poor mileage they got out of them when compared to my personal truck with Duelers.

34 minutes ago, steve4102 said:

Good tires, the company I worked used them exclusively.

They did however complain about the poor mileage they got out of them when compared to my personal truck with Duelers.

A good friend of mine swears by the Bridgestone Duelers, supposedly the newer BFG KO2s are much better for mileage.  I do know from experience that rotating them helps a bunch.  

7 minutes ago, Rinspeed said:

A good friend of mine swears by the Bridgestone Duelers, supposedly the newer BFG KO2s are much better for mileage.  I do know from experience that rotating them helps a bunch.  

Something many of us forget to do, then complain when their wear prematurely.

• Like 1

Bridegestone makes Blizzaks in LT sizes and those are about the best true winter and snow tires you can find they can be studded.

my wife and i have also used Cooper discoverers on her old jeep and my truck and they worked well.

Firestone WinterForce work well too.

Nokian Hakkapelita 2 if you can find them make driving on ice like a dry summer day,they are studded and Verboten in MN.

9 hours ago, bigchuck83 said:

I’ve been happy with the General Grabber at2 tires. Same tread pattern as BFg as All terrain t/a ko tires with better wet road traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of similar to the BFG ATs...

General just did a re-design of the Grabber AT2 and called it the AT/X.  But they also still sell the AT2...

General Grabber A/TX

General Grabber AT 2

• Like 1

Must be slick snow.  I have Duratracs on my truck now and they are by far the best snow tires I have had.  I came over 80 in the snow with 4WD not working.  I am beyond impressed.  I have Revos on it, I thought they sucked.  The original Firestones got about 2X the miles on them anything else since has and they had pretty good traction.

I put Pirelli Scorpians on my Mazda CX5 AWD. Have not had any bad conditions to test out yet, but so far they are quiet for an AT type tire with the mountain snow flake designation (it was kinda a big deal over on tire rack that did an extensive amount of research on them). Tire Rack likes them, these are the first out of the gate for Pirelli in the crossover vehicle tire market. They have tread on the sidewalls. 50k tire, the big claim is that the tires do not get hard when temps drop so they work well all seasons. My 17" tires were about $160 each and ended up with $65 in rebates.

edit: My tires are the ATR+. Just read 2 more reviews from some Canuckskyz on Tire Rack, they like their performance in snow so far.

Edited by ARP

4 hours ago, tadbart said:

I live in Florida, so I really don't have much to offer. My friend who lives in Anchorage has studded snow tires that he switches out twice a year. Seems like just about everyone I know in AK has a spot in their garage for "the other season" tires.

@Walt Longmire can you add to this?

I had studded tires for the winter when I had my Chevy cargo van.  (I loved that van!)

And ten tubes of sand arranged on the floor.

(I worked at a gas station in Texas.  Some snowbird brought in some studded tires on rims, to be switched over.  The other cowboy-kid said, "WOW!!  Look at all the nails in this tire!!!")

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Another good thing to do is get some large bags of sand and put about 200 pounds of them over the rear axle.

Helps with traction and you can use it if you get struck.

To get the weight of the sandbags behind the axel in my PU, I used to use   nylon tiedown straps and strap the sandbags to the inside  pf tailgate in the bed.  The farther back in the bed the more effective the added weight was. 

Edited by janice6

12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

To get the weight of the sandbags behind the axel in my PU, I used to use   nylon tiedown straps and strap the sandbags to the tailgate in the bed.  The farther back in the bed the more effective the added weight was. 

Yup, placing them directly above the axle is far less effective then as far back as possible. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

We don't remember anyone every worrying about how often Minnesotans get stuck.

I do remember all the hullabaloo from the state about the studs grooving the  paved roadways.  They really did help though.  I did get tired of people wearing the tires until the studs started flying off at highway speeds and hitting and cracking my windshield. 

3 minutes ago, steve4102 said:

Yup, placing them directly above the axle is far less effective then as far back as possible. 

I think people forget that it's like a "lever arm", the farther behind the axel, the more you exaggerate the added weight effect.