19-3

OldCop71

It looks ugly but beauty is as beauty does and the model 19 was one of the best revolvers Smith and Wesson ever made and I'd take a 19-3 over any Smith & Wesson made today. I'd even be tempted to strip off the Cerakote and have it re-blued, because I know a local gunsmith who does a beautiful job of polishing and re-blueing and his prices are reasonable.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

100 percent on Unknown's comments. You can laugh at the rest of us when it rains on your elk hunt, camping trip, etc.

That thing is a tank. I'd get nicer grips. But that's me. Right now that gun could survive a submarine disaster and get raised by Howard Hughes. 

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

Old Cop,

have you checked the barrel if it is stainless? It might be one of the many M19s that had developed cracks on the forcing cone and when no more M19 barrels were available but M66 barrels were still found, many M19s were retrofitted with the stainless 66 barrels.

• 1 month later...

I have not checked the barrel, was not aware of that. I will eventually have it either re-blued or cerakoted in a near blue shade.  This revolver, since I replaced the rear sight, is dead nuts accurate, shooting one ragged hole double action at 25 yards.

Very workable gun.

if you wanted it restored (I had one beat to pieces) S&W does a great job. You can tell them not to work the action over and they will refinish and clean it up well.

or Robar is very good at refinishing. Same thing, tell them not to work the action over.

nice find

• 1 month later...