G19 replacement?

Spats McGee

As some of you have undoubtedly realized, I like to start my overthinking early.  I guess I like to beat the holiday rush.  A little over five years ago, I bought a Glock 19, and I've considered replacing it a handful of times.  For a variety of reasons, I believe the time has come to part ways with my G19, not without a little twinge of sadness.  

As of this posting, I actually have listed my Glock for sale, and I hope she finds a good home.  With that said, I still believe that the 9mm compact is quite possibly the best all-around pistol to be had.  It is my hope that I will be able to replace her in fairly short order.  I know I've done this dance before, but I'd still like your opinions on possible replacements.  If I've missed one that you think I should consider, speak up now.

Before I get off into this, yes, I know I'll have to get to a range and shoot a few handguns.  I'd be looking at this one mostly for the range, but also occasional carry, particularly in colder months.

Here's my current list:

1.  Another G19.  I have no complaints about my current G19.  I'm ~2000 rounds in, and it's been a beast in terms of reliability.  I had one spring break at ~400 rounds, and a handful (probably <10 other failures to feed).  I would not feel bad about going this route again, but I will also admit that I've never been entirely satisfied with how well I shoot my G19.  My current one is a Gen 4, and I'd also consider going with a different Gen to see if I shoot it any better.

2.  S&W M&P 2.0 Compact -- This is the siren that has tempted me to cheat on my Glock since the day she came out.  Going strictly by the numbers, it's almost identical to the G19, being slightly heavier and longer.  Especially when you consider the 4.0" version.  Would I shoot it any better than the G19?  I don't know.  I do know that I have a Shield that I really like.  I also know that the grip texturing is really aggressive, but that sandpaper can solve that.

3. Springfield Armory XD(M) 3.8" Compact 9mm -- This one's been on my Contender List before.  It gives up a round the #1 and #2, as well as a little barrel length.  A little heavier, too.  I like the idea of a grip safety, though.  (Clearly, I don't like it well enough to make it a requirement . . . )

4. CZ P10C -- Again, almost identical to the G19, but I don't know that my local range will have any for me to shoot.  How's this one doing out in the real world?

I looked at HK and Sig.  I really like the idea of owning one of those, but I could not find anything that fits what I'm looking for.  Too heavy, too expensive, has a thumb safety, blah, blah, blah.  Maybe I'm just too Goldilocks about this.

What models am I missing in creating The Long List?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 8:38 AM, Spats McGee said:

I posted this on several boards and have been truly astonished at the number of people that thought this was about how well I shoot that Glock.

I'm surprised you are sorta 'royalty' on this AND Firing Line Forum..glad you're keeping the G-19..I went around and around cuz I was 'gifted' a G-17 and already had a G-19..which to keep, which to keep??

Decided to keep both...really like both..Really like the 'any -17 mag' for the G-19...since I have a bunch..even a couple of 21r ones. 

• Like 1

If I were looking to replace a G19 I'd replace it with a Gen 5 G19 MOS because I like the fact that the gen 5's don't have finger grooves and the MOS doesn't have the dumbass magazine cut-out.  I'd also modify the ambi slide release. Years ago I did actually replace my G19 with a G23 and then I saved a few of my 9mm mags and got a KKM 40-to-9 conversion barrel for it and a g32 357 Sig barrel for it.

glk ambi slide stop3.JPG

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your input.  As it stands right now, I"m going to keep the G19.  I'm  hoping to add to the stable rather than replace.  Specifically, something that wasn't even on my list has moved to the top of it:  the HK VP9SK.  The VP9 has been released with a button mag release (rather than the paddle), and I'm hoping that the VP9SK comes out with a button by the time I get enough money saved.  I wouldn't mind the paddle on a range gun, but I want a button mag release if I'm ever going to carry the new pistol.

• Like 1

You need to carry the pistol that you are happy and proficient with.  Whatever that might be.  I am not going to pistol shame you.  Well, I might, if you got a Hi-Point.  But, beyond that, if you can put rounds on the BG and not a bystander then I say G-d Bless you, friend.  I am pretty decisive about my firearms.  Frankly, for SD, my favorite round is the .45 ACP, though I do carry a G-19.  I like that I can jam a 17 or 33 rounder in there, if things get hairy, and I still have an RMR, comp to make it less snappy, and a Johnny Competition Trigger for more accurate shots.  I love my FNX-45 Tactical and have lusted after one for years.  Once, I make sure I have it dialed in, and the holster comes in, it is going to be my carry piece.  But, nothing is perfect.  Even with the hammer back, there is more time to the "wall" than I would like.  I have determined there is no "perfect" firearm.  If I could find a reliable trigger for the FNX-45 I would eliminate the distance to the "wall" before it fires.

There are some really nice Sigs out there if you are into that brand.  I own two HK's as well, but they aren't striker fired.  The only striker fired I tolerate is the Glock.

• Like 1

Well, I'm late to the conversation and it sounds like you've already made your choice, but I'll add my two cents just because.

For me, it would be the M&P 2.0 Compact. I'm a long time S&W fan and think that pistol looks great.  And the good reviews don't hurt either.

I've been trying hard not to buy one in .40 for months now. I don't need another pistol, another caliber, or any more hours thrown away at the range getting accustomed to a new gun (vs. time in on the ones I already own).  But once I sell a Shield and a G26, it just might happen anyway.

40820-DEFAULT-l.jpg.2d19ede18bfe360f437c69a74f1f0cca.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

Interesting.  I thought I was one of the few people who still like .40 these days.  Most people are 9mm everything, with a few .45 ACP dedicated people.

Actually, I never liked .40.  In fact, when my department went through semi-auto transition from 681s to 4006s, I went out of my way to carry a non-standard 4506.

I've been one of those 9 & 45 guys for years (although with the emphasis on .45 ACP). 

It's only recently as its popularity has dropped a notch or two that I find myself intrigued by the .40 S&W.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:13 PM, Borg warner said:

glk ambi slide stop3.JPG

Borg,

I've seen you post that pic before.

Have you tried it yourself?

I've upgraded from a gen3 G26 to a gen5 and like all its features except the ambi lever.  

I was wondering if it could be replaced by a gen4 lever, but your approach could work, too. (Or, might be the only option, depending on fit).

Edited by Maccabeus

Sounds like a case of polymer gun boredom. Try a Sig P239. All metal, DA/SA with a decocker, single stack.

It’s a really neat little gun.  

The only constant in my carry guns over the years is my 5 shot airweight revolver and the P239. 

I’ve had a lot of different guns over the years including a G26 that I still ocasionally carry off duty, and I always carry it as a backup on duty. But I’ve never been in love with it. Glocks are affordable and practical, but they just don’t “do it” for me if that makes sense.  

Sometimes I just need to strap on a 3” K frame and a speed loader pouch to liven things up a little. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

Borg,

I've seen you post that pic before.

Have you tried it yourself?

I've upgraded from a gen3 G26 to a gen5 and like all its features except the ambi lever.  

I was wondering if it could be replaced by a gen4 lever, but your approach could work, too. (Or, might be the only option, depending on fit).

I don't have a gen 5 so I haven't tried it myself but I can't see any possible reason why it wouldn't work and why it wouldn't be very easy to do. I don't think a gen 4 lever would work or you'd hear a lot more about people doing it.

Glock should offer as an option, Left side only, right side only, or ambi. I've heard from a lot of Lefties who are so used to using the earlier slide stop/release (or not using it) but I've also heard from a few who liked it, but either way it should be an option. But since it isn't it looks like a simple thing to fix without a lot of gunsmithing expertise involved.

And it's something a gunsmith could easily do an dnot charge much money for doing it. I believe in getting to know your local gunsmith and giving them whatever business we can. Gunsmiths are good people and if we don't give them our business pretty soon there won't be any more gunsmiths. I went through 3 locak gunsmiths in my area until I found a good one and I even worked rfor mone for a whil edoing vounter sales. The guy I finally found is a certified Glock and Smith an Wesson armorer and the is one of the best in the business. He did a trigger on a Browning Hi-power for me that has to be felt to be believed.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

... I've heard from a lot of Lefties who are so used to using the earlier slide stop/release (or not using it) ...

I'm one.  I never rushed into lefty controls because I'm so used to adapting to the typical set-up.  Now that I've finally tried one, I don't like having to worry about hitting the release by mistake with my thumb.  (That was never an issue as a lefty in a right-handers world).

OK, sorry for the hijack, now back to your regularly schedule thread...

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 2:10 PM, Collim1 said:

Sounds like a case of polymer gun boredom. Try a Sig P239. All metal, DA/SA with a decocker, single stack.

It’s a really neat little gun.  

The only constant in my carry guns over the years is my 5 shot airweight revolver and the P239. 

I’ve had a lot of different guns over the years including a G26 that I still ocasionally carry off duty, and I always carry it as a backup on duty. But I’ve never been in love with it. Glocks are affordable and practical, but they just don’t “do it” for me if that makes sense.  

Sometimes I just need to strap on a 3” K frame and a speed loader pouch to liven things up a little. 

Nah, not boredom, but the idea has been temporarily shelved.  The P239 looks nice.  I'm not terribly comfortable with decockers, but that might cause me less heartburn in a carry gun than the paddle mag release that HK uses.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:45 AM, Maccabeus said:

Well, I'm late to the conversation and it sounds like you've already made your choice, but I'll add my two cents just because.

For me, it would be the M&P 2.0 Compact.  I'm a long time S&W fan and think that pistol looks great.  And the good reviews don't hurt either.

HK has certainly caught my eye right now, but the M&P 2.0 Compact is one of those guns that just keeps showing up on my Want List.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 12:46 PM, Moshe said:

Interesting.  I thought I was one of the few people who still like .40 these days.  Most people are 9mm everything, with a few .45 ACP dedicated people.

I am still a .45 Auto 1911 fan, and I am too old to change. I remember when the .40 came out, and there was a stampede by cops and civilians to get one.

The .40 is a great round, and I wonder how many people, even know what they are talking about sometimes. It seems like a herd mentality.

The upside is, this must be a good time to buy a used .40 S&W, there must be a lot of them available. Why? Because they want a 9mm now.

Edited by Suspect Unknown
  • Like 3