Like snakes?

Alabusa

Nope.  I live out in the Country.  Out where I pick up the kids from the bus, and there is a communal mail box was a small copper head.  I took out my 9mm Glock with the milled RMR, but the dot on his head, killed him, cut off his head, and then buried it.  I didn't want someone getting fangs in a tire, or getting a kid bit.

I like snakes but most of my experience has been with either  the non-venomous variety or Rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes won't bother you if you don't bother them and if I'm in their habitat, I leave them alone but they are not welcome in my habitat. But I wouldn't mind if some non-venomous snakes, the kinds that eat mice, were native to my area but they aren't.

A lot of people have a fear/hatred of snakes, even the non-poisonous ones. I used to catch them when I was a kid along with a lot of other little critters. One time I caught a little shrew (I thought it was some kind of mouse) and put it in a box for a snake to eat. To my surprise the shrew attacked the snake and started eating it.

• Like 1

I absolutely despise sneks.  I grew up on a ranch in the middle of nowhere, with all of the nasties of which one may think....moccasins, rattlers of different sorts, copperheads, and coral snakes.
Sounds like nirvana to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, willie-pete said:

Heading toward the dog run; didn't get there. 

rattle.thumb.jpg.d1705ea18aaeaec507251cfc24b1b6b0.jpg

625 with .308 shotshell filled with #12 shot; DRT

snakegun.thumb.JPG.014b3c862f589a9d801af9264991206a.JPG

The non poisonous varieties get a pass ( if I see them ; not so much if my wife sees them ).  She usually calls me though and they get a pass.

I have had good luck with rat shot.  When I was a young guy, and a friend of mine said, "Let's go hike that big mountain over there."  So, we did, as we neared the top, there was a lot of rocky shale around.  I had a .357 with snake shot for rattlers.  We managed to piss off a 6 foot timber rattler that came out from the rocks that tried to strike even before rattling.  We gave it some distance, but it didn't want to give any quarter.  So, I shot it over and over in the face with my rat shot in the face.  I would see the haze hit, but it only made it more angry.  I dumped the rat shot that was left and loaded magnums.  I hit in the body to distract it, before we finished it off.

• Like 1

I'm down the hall from 2 balls and a Cal king. Over the years, We've had a Burmese python, Dumeril's monitors, bred over 100 bearded dragon babies, leopard geckos, etc. Down to just the 3 snakes after 20+ years of having cold-blooded critters. Probably won't add any more to the stable, due to possible future lifestyle change, becoming sorta-snowbirds.

• Like 3

On 11/24/2018 at 12:41 PM, willie-pete said:

Heading toward the dog run; didn't get there. 

[...]

The non poisonous varieties get a pass ( if I see them ; not so much if my wife sees them ).  She usually calls me though and they get a pass.

This is somewhat annoying.  People do this all the time.. "Oh you like snakes? Hey that reminds me, here look at this pic of this snake my uncle killed last summer". 

Then I say "oh that's nice. You said you were  a dog lover huh?  Check out this road killed puppy I stopped to take a pic of last week".  

• Like 5

But yes, I do have a fancy for them. All herps really. Since I was about 15 years old it has become a passion. 

I'll dig up some random snakes pics from over the years. I'm doing less captive, and a lot more field herping these days. 

6790006.jpg

newsnakes006.jpg

IMG_2798-1.jpg

femalhyprarsnake217.jpg

08c31aprnormpueblans002.jpg

Femalebrbsnake64.jpg

newballs011.jpg

dd5590bb.jpg

FemAltanghondosnake1.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, geofri said:

But yes, I do have a fancy for them. All herps really. Since I was about 15 years old it has become a passion. 

I'll dig up some random snakes pics from over the years. I'm doing less captive, and a lot more field herping these days. 

6790006.jpg

newsnakes006.jpg

Nice pictures and I like snakes, too, I used to catch the non-poisonous ones when I was kid maybe keep them overnight and then let them go. But you should try another photo hosting site like Tinypic or Thumbsnap or just post the pictures directly from you computer files so you don't get that photobucket watermark. 

123abc.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, geofri said:

This is somewhat annoying.  People do this all the time.. "Oh you like snakes? Hey that reminds me, here look at this pic of this snake my uncle killed last summer". 

Then I say "oh that's nice. You said you were  a dog lover huh?  Check out this road killed puppy I stopped to take a pic of last week".  

So, how many puppies kill people, compared to poisonous snakes?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moshe said:

So, how many puppies kill people, compared to poisonous snakes?

Haha. A LOT more than snakes do.   Not that it really has anything to do with liking or disliking them. Bambi kills people too.. no need to hate. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/16/chart-the-animals-that-are-most-likely-to-kill-you-this-summer/?utm_term=.c3350b3ee54a

Edited by geofri
  • Like 2

I like them well enough.  Thankfully we haven't seen any venomous snakes in the yard but the state is full of them.  We've got a Ring Necks all over the place, I've got to root through the fire pit before use to remove them.  Here are a few from some of my hiking.

BRacerfullside42416.jpg

BRacerheadshot42416.jpg

Coral41816.jpg

GS1.jpg

GS2.jpg

Edited by syntaxerrorsix
  • Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, geofri said:

Haha. A LOT more than snakes do.   Not that it really has anything to do with liking or disliking them. Bambi kills people too.. no need to hate. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/16/chart-the-animals-that-are-most-likely-to-kill-you-this-summer/?utm_term=.c3350b3ee54a

With Deer Hunting, it is wise to wait for them to stock kicking their legs, and carry a backup handgun.  I have hunted and culled deer.  Nubin bucks, or does.  I have never been a "trophy" hunter.  I can't eat the antlers.  Though, I have stopped hunting.  It is not the weather, though, I dress warm, as I have a lot less insulation.  It is the work after that tears me up.  Skinning and pulling off the skin, than gutting and quartering.  They are heavier than they look, especially when you hang them up, and get a quarter off at a time.  It is a lot more work than it looks, especially as things get heavier in general.

• 2 weeks later...

My last pair of pet snakes, I gave them back to my reptile dealer after nine years.

I later saw them on TV.

Nicest carpet pythons you could meet, after "Bitey" bit me 365 times a year for five years, she mellowed out.

Jungle/diamond python hybrids.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Never seen so many snakes in so little time and space. 1 mile walk down a swamp boardwalk. 

12 cottonmouths and 2 watersnakes(little unsure on subspecies.. probably southern). Pretty sure they were all pushed from hiding due to high water. 

It was just a big game of eye-spy. super frustrating that I couldn't get closer to catch any of them. with all the flooding it would have been knee to waist deep in swamp muck, below the 5' boardwalk. 

31660112097_520c34cef6_b.jpg

46498609562_053dd7c0a5_b.jpg

46550395661_3554c9e664_b.jpg

31609979917_ffe95613f8_b.jpg

44732873600_fddcf53df2_b.jpg

44732877220_16e9bfdf11_b.jpg

One nice larger specimen, from the day before, which my brother nearly stepped on. 

Loved the colors on these panhandle snakes.. those I've seen in texas are usually much more drab. 

45621856035_ab90cd474f_b.jpg

Edited by geofri
  • Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, geofri said:

6790006.jpg

newsnakes006.jpg

IMG_2798-1.jpg

femalhyprarsnake217.jpg

08c31aprnormpueblans002.jpg

Femalebrbsnake64.jpg

newballs011.jpg

dd5590bb.jpg

FemAltanghondosnake1.jpg

LOVE the blood and the Brazzy. There's a monocle loose or dead about 30 miles north of me, for about a year now.. Gotta say, not a fan of that.