M1 Garand loads?

Collim1

I’m loading up my first loads for the M1 this afternoon. 

I’m planning to start with 47g of IMR4895 and some 147/150g pulled projectiles.  Primer is a Winchester large rifle. 

Any ideas on this load would be appreciated. I want something soft shooting and accurate with minimal recoil, but obviously I need it cycle the action reliably. 

Not damaging the rifle is a priority as well. 

Seems to be a fairly common “safe” load for the M-1. 

I no longer have an M-1, but I’d really recommend a schuster or similar adjustable gas nut if you  want to develop s light recoiling loading. The stock gas system does not suit itself well to loads that are much under the standard. Atleast mine never did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PPU and S&B M1 Garand specific loads give me ~5 moa from a prone position resting on my elbow. If my reloads cycle the action reliably and give me 4 moa I will be happy. 

Running the gun, especially the famously satisfying ping and clip reloading are the primary fun for me. I’m looking for a good cheap plinking load. 

With the free projectiles and brass I came across the cost of these rounds is going to be really cheap. About 23 cents per round.

It would be cheaper if powder was available locally for less than $30 a pound. The reloading supplies available locally are pretty disappointing. When I get a load worked out I plan to make a bulk powder and primer purchase online. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am up and running on my M2 ball loads.  47g of IMR4895 and pulled 147g .308 projectiles.  These are being loaded into once fired PPU brass.  I have some HXP brass as well but I haven’t started working on it yet.

i don’t expect great accuracy from the NATO 7.62 pulls.  They’re also short OAL when loaded to the cannelure, and if loaded long there isn’t enough bullet in the case.  Atleast there is not chance of a long round jamming the clip up on a reload  

Finding published data for a M2 ball replication load has not been easy.  I found some Hornady data for match loads, but nothing for 150g FMJ and 4895.  The 47g 4895 is from an article I found in an old NRA magazine article recxomending that for a soft shooting plinking load that will reliably cycle the action  

I am planning to shoot these and see how they do before I commit to it.

Edited by Collim1

I got quite a few loads worked up ready to test. Just waiting on some good weather to hit the range. 

I got some 168g BTHP Match rounds loaded over 46, 46.3, 46.5, 46.8, and 47g of IMR 4895. Also got some 147g NATO Pulls and some 150g Hornady FMJBT’s over 46.5, 47, and 47.5g of 4895.  

I made up a spreadsheet with each load so I can keep up MOA and reliability for each round. Planning to shoot 8 each at 50 yards prone and see what they do. I think 50 yards will be close enough to remove most of my man made variation and hopefully still far enough away to show what each round can do. 

I’m gonna be very disappointed if the rounds aren’t Atleast reliable. Accuracy I can work on later. 

Now I need to polish the inside of my resizing dies. It’s leaving scratches in the brass. I’ve done some experimenting with case lubes and a few left some brass streaks in the dies that needs to be polished out. I’ve some jewelers polish I’m gonna put on a patch and chuck in the drill, hopefully that will polish it out. 

Edited by Collim1

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.