I'm jonezen for a 55" tv, doing my due diligence

ARP

Currently have a 1 or 2 gen Samsung tv, 46", bought possibly 9 years ago or so. And I am looking at a Samsung 55" class 4k. Blackout Friday is having some stupid deals, chances are I will buy on line and have it delivered to Walmart for PU. Therefore, no need for me to venture out into harms way on blackout friday.

I'm trying to figure out EXACTLY what I need in order to have my home sound system work in concert with the new TV. Have a Denon receiver and run Bose AM5 system with a few satellite speakers as it provides for a 7 channel system, use a center channel speaker and 4 sat speakers. It connects to the current tv via an RCA jack/patchcord (red/white plugs). Wondering how I am going to interface the Denon receiver and the new TV. Also wondering how I am going to interface the OTA roof antenna to the new TV. Propaganda says the new TV I am looking at has 2 hdmi ports and 1 usb port. So I am looking at a coaxial cord connection and an RCA connection, and it sounds like neither will be compatible to connect. 

Things that make me go hmmmmmmm.....

• Confused 1

I have a Samsung 4KHDR QLED 55inch TV purchased from Costco last November hooked up to a Marantz SR6012.  Everything(6 speakers plus a subwoofer) is hooked up to the Marantz,and there is one HDMI to the TV’s “One Connect” box, which then uses what appears to be a Fiber Optic cable going from that box to the back of the TV.

It’s awesome!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gun Shark said:

I have a Samsung 4KHDR QLED 55inch TV purchased from Costco last November hooked up to a Marantz SR6012.  Everything(6 speakers plus a subwoofer) is hooked up to the Marantz,and there is one HDMI to the TV’s “One Connect” box, which then uses what appears to be a Fiber Optic cable going from that box to the back of the TV.

It’s awesome!

I recall when I got the current Samsung and then got the Denon receiver, I was futzin' around with cords, and bought a fiber optic cord only to discover that the tv did not support the fiber optic cable. going to have to look at the Denon and see what it requires to connect other than the RCA. I also read something somewhere about adaptors, RCA to HDMI provided with TV

What about the coaxial cable for the OTA TV antenna? Can you do anything with that?

Model I am looking at is the UN55NU7100fxza, cost is around $500+. Kinda in the review stage right now, see a lot of people bitch about side angle view and no blue tooth. Read independant reviews that stated some of the viewing features are better with it than the "Q" line of product, I'm kinda in uncharted water as to knowing what is what with new tv's, not heavy into the electronic side of things. Unsure if this model has the "One Connect" box.

One thing is for certain, I'm not scrapping any of my audio stuff to listen to a sound bar on a tv or the OTA antenna.

Edited by ARP

I recall when I got the current Samsung and then got the Denon receiver, I was futzin' around with cords, and bought a fiber optic cord only to discover that the tv did not support the fiber optic cable. going to have to look at the Denon and see what it requires to connect other than the RCA. I also read something somewhere about adaptors, RCA to HDMI provided with TV
What about the coaxial cable for the OTA TV antenna? Can you do anything with that?
Model I am looking at is the UN55NU7100fxza, cost is around $500+. Kinda in the review stage right now, see a lot of people bitch about side angle view and no blue tooth. Read independant reviews that stated some of the viewing features are better with it than the "Q" line of product, I'm kinda in uncharted water as to knowing what is what with new tv's, not heavy into the electronic side of things. Unsure if this model has the "One Connect" box.
One thing is for certain, I'm not scrapping any of my audio stuff to listen to a sound bar on a tv or the OTA antenna.

We got it based on advice from a friend who owns an AV company and does this for a living. He installed the original equipment when the house was built.

He recommended that model TV for us whether 55,65,75, or 82 inches. I could become well versed in it with some research, but I haven’t done it. Since he was installing it anyway and I trust his expertise and judgment when it comes to this...it was easier just to ask him what to go with.

I don’t use OTA, I use YouTube TV and Hulu with Live TV streamed on an Apple TV or a Roku depending on which remote I pick up. I do believe there is a COAX input on the back of a Marantz. I will look at it when I get home, however I believe he recommended getting one when he found out that we cut the cord, so I assume it would work with it.

The fiber optic cable looks like it’s Samsung proprietary.

36 minutes ago, ARP said:

The reviews don't look that good on that model. A good amount of people are not happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-55NU7100-Flat-Smart-2018/dp/B079NH4VHR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542576914&sr=8-1&keywords=un55nu7100fxza#customerReviews

I used to be a SONY and Samsung fan. Until I got a 65" OLED LG. Granted they are much more expensive, but just based on the quality and design aspect I would still pick a regular LG over any other brand.

This would be my pick in the HDR 4k class:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Smart-Ultimate-Bundle-SK8000/dp/B07BQFN8R2/

$699 at Wal Mart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-55-Class-4K-2160-HDR-Smart-LED-AI-Super-UHD-TV-w-AI-ThinQ-55SK8000PUA/

Has Dolby Atmos and many more connections:

Number of HDMI Ports:    4
Number of Component Video Inputs:    1
Number of Composite Video Inputs:    1
Number of Digital Optical Audio Ouputs:    1
Number of USB Ports:    2
Number of Ethernet Ports:    1
RF Antenna Input:    1
Network Compatibility:    WiFi, Ethernet

Edited by crockett

3 hours ago, crockett said:

The reviews don't look that good on that model. A good amount of people are not happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-55NU7100-Flat-Smart-2018/dp/B079NH4VHR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542576914&sr=8-1&keywords=un55nu7100fxza#customerReviews

I used to be a SONY and Samsung fan. Until I got a 65" OLED LG. Granted they are much more expensive, but just based on the quality and design aspect I would still pick a regular LG over any other brand.

This would be my pick in the HDR 4k class:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Smart-Ultimate-Bundle-SK8000/dp/B07BQFN8R2/

$699 at Wal Mart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-55-Class-4K-2160-HDR-Smart-LED-AI-Super-UHD-TV-w-AI-ThinQ-55SK8000PUA/

Has Dolby Atmos and many more connections:

Number of HDMI Ports:    4
Number of Component Video Inputs:    1
Number of Composite Video Inputs:    1
Number of Digital Optical Audio Ouputs:    1
Number of USB Ports:    2
Number of Ethernet Ports:    1
RF Antenna Input:    1
Network Compatibility:    WiFi, Ethernet

Im kinda careful about the reviews on amazon, sort of have to fine toof comb them to figure out which ones are pilot error and which ones are legit this product is junk. So I dug into them and I kind of am getting this vibe that the lower priced 4K with the bigger screens, the flaws will be more highlighted. Fully admit I could be completely wrong on this. I think I needz to edgumacate myself more on 4k tv. And the low end Samsungs I am looking at, might not be what I'm hoping for.

This whole thing for a new tv started with the hotel rooms I have been in lately all have the 55" screens. I'm hooked. 

• Like 2

Well, I'm no help for advice. The biggest TV in our home is only 37", but I'm usually watching on the aging 27" in our bedroom. And everything is stock TV speakers.

Last night I ordered a non-4k dumb 50" model from Walmart for $199 as an early Christmas gift for my wife.

Compared to the setups being discussed here, it's outdated and second rate.  For us, watching 15+ year old mediocre models, it should be a jaw dropping leap forward! 

Benefits of being thoroughly behind the technology curve: it's a nice money saver and we're easily impressed!

Edited by Maccabeus

I think I have narrowed down my choices to 2 models, a Samsung and a LG. Both have the 120hz refresh rate, which is good for tv programming that I watch.

My last tv I bought as an open box item from Crutchfield, it has been flawless. So I went to their website to check out a few things and confirm that my Denon receiver will be compatable to hook up with a FO cable so it works.

I'm not a member of Costco, it is not close by, but I will check out the requirements to join and see if they carry either of the units I am looking at. Samsung UN55NU8000FXZA and a LG 55SK8000PUA. Both are under the $800 I am willing to spend on a tv at this point.