Old Pictures

Eric

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

Just an observation:

I have to assume that the pilot was hit by ground fire when he was diving or climbing out from a ground attack mode.

Just looking at the uniformity of the peeling back of the Prop skin, shows that the shell that hit it was going so fast relative to the rotation velocity of the propeller, it was as if the propeller was standing still.  No indication  of any angular velocity component in the damage to the prop.  It appears symmetrical.  Amazing!

Thinking about this more, I'm going to posit that rather than a ground-fired 88 (that is nearly 3-1/2" in diameter and that would have had to hit from nearly directly behind to make that pattern), that the prop took a hit from something like a 20mm cannon round fired by a German fighter - far more likely to come from astern, and I'd think an 88 would have made a hole that was much larger and likely compromised the blade to the point that the end would have separated.  Either way, it's very impressive that it stayed together, and didn't lose enough material to go horribly out of balance.  I think I'd need to change my shorts if I landed and saw a duck pin bowling ball sized hole in my prop!!  (And to think, today there are many who need a safe space because someone wrote "Trump for President" in chalk on the sidewalk at their college.)

-Pat

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

Just an observation:

I have to assume that the pilot was hit by ground fire when he was diving or climbing out from a ground attack mode.

Just looking at the uniformity of the peeling back of the Prop skin, shows that the shell that hit it was going so fast relative to the rotation velocity of the propeller, it was as if the propeller was standing still.  No indication  of any angular velocity component in the damage to the prop.  It appears symmetrical.  Amazing!

I wonder what the RPM range was for a Jug in those circumstances.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I wonder what the RPM range was for a Jug in those circumstances.

One article I read performance testing of the plane listed max RPM at 2700, which sounds about right for the R2800 Double Wasp, and somewhere else I saw the reduction gear ratio as 2:1, so that would mean the prop would spin at a maximum of 1350 RPM.

-Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The spec for muzzle velocity of an antiaircraft 88 says it was about 2700 feet per second.  The cross section of an 88mm would be roughly 3.5 inches.

The comment about an 20mm is a valid consideration also.   20 mm is about 8 tenths of an inch.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, janice6 said:

The spec for muzzle velocity of an antiaircraft 88 says it was about 2700 feet per second.  The cross section of an 88mm would be roughly 3.5 inches.

The comment about an 20mm is a valid consideration also.   20 mm is about 8 tenths of an inch.

Interesting that 20mm is about 20 gauge.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Didn’t the unibomber do the wilderness life for a good number of years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah.  There are more than one reason for wanting isolation and solitude.  Sometimes it's to evade the law.

I doubt we'll see a member of Antifa hiding out in the wilderness unless mom packs his/her lunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Yeah.  There are more than one reason for wanting isolation and solitude.  Sometimes it's to evade the law.

I doubt we'll see a member of Antifa hiding out in the wilderness unless mom packs his/her lunch.

They just need someone to invent a man-portable Starbucks. Of course, finding the men to move it might present a problem for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1