Old Pictures

Eric

1 hour ago, UHLAWPUP said:

For the record, that’s an RCA dual ribbon microphone, and I actually got to use one early in my radio career.  Fragile as old hell but outstanding sound.

I'm not familiar with the various microphone types by sight since my military and ham radio experiences to microphone types were very limited. 

But I do understand the types of microphone construction once you tell me what type it is.

Thanks I do appreciate the mic description.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

4BA2DFFE-C51D-4D5D-8EEF-117914F02AFA.jpeg

Once in a great while, the Minnesota media outlets will tell of the aftermath of a Winter fire, or water main break, or even a Spring thaw, where a cars tires get frozen to the ground in ice, and peel away from the rims when the driver tries to get it unstuck. 

We should be compassionate, but it's still funny.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

0028764C-3E48-4E9A-8280-AED14DA8CDED.jpeg

In the Navy, my ship was relatively small so we usually hugged the coastline traveling for Charleston, SC to Panama City, Fla, Minecraft Research base in the late 50's. 

I remember being a couple of miles off the Atlantic coast in the early evening and passing Miami.  It was just like a romantic post card picture, viewing the city from the Ocean when it was lit up at night.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

I'm not familiar with the various microphone types by sight since my military and ham radio experiences to microphone types were very limited. 

But I do understand the types of microphone construction once you tell me what type it is.

Thanks I do appreciate the mic description.

I was all of 16 years old working at WRJW in Picayune, Mississippi. Damn thing made me sound like Edward R. Murrow when I read the news.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, UHLAWPUP said:

I was all of 16 years old working at WRJW in Picayune, Mississippi. Damn thing made me sound like Edward R. Murrow when I read the news.

My father’s family lived in that area, until most of the clan moved to Arizona, in the 1950s. I still have kin in that area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UHLAWPUP said:

I was in radio communication most of my life, but as in Ham Radio and as a Navy Radio Operator.

In designing and building electronics to enhance my intelligibility for marginal communications, I was always plagued by the fact that I had almost no "highs" or range in my voice.

Communications audio processing deals with these Highs. Limiting and compression of certain frequency elements can enhance the intelligibility in electronic communications. 

But my voice was such that you had no components to work with. It was difficult to understand me under noisey conditions. Nothing to pierce the noise or a unique sound. 

I would have given anything to have some vocal qualities to work with, but it was not to be.

Orson Welles, Murrow, Cronkite, and others were simply a pleasure to listen to, I was like speaking with my face immersed in  mud.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

I was in radio communication most of my life, but as in Ham Radio and as a Navy Radio Operator.
In designing and building electronics to enhance my intelligibility for marginal communications, I was always plagued by the fact that I had almost no "highs" or range in my voice.
Communications audio processing deals with these Highs. Limiting and compression of certain frequency elements can enhance the intelligibility in electronic communications. 
But my voice was such that you had no components to work with. It was difficult to understand me under noisey conditions. Nothing to pierce the noise or a unique sound. 
I would have given anything to have some vocal qualities to work with, but it was not to be.
Orson Welles, Murrow, Cronkite, and others were simply a pleasure to listen to, I was like speaking with my face immersed in  mud.

Periodically complaints were registered about loud commercials - often used car salesmen during the wee hours. The commercials usually did not exceed the maximum loudness, but they were cranked up where the average loudness was far higher than reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1