Old Pictures

Eric

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Imagine how they felt!  It must be terrific!

In The Old Guard, our parade field was Summerall Field. It is the site of the first flight by the military of a Wright Brothers aircraft. Of any aircraft. The aircraft crashed. The flight and crash took place in 1908. Orville wright was seriously injured and the Army Lieutenant that went up, Lt Thomas Selfridge, was killed. It was the first death of someone in a heavier-than-air aircraft crash. My barracks was right across the street from the crash site.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

In The Old Guard, our parade field was Summerall Field. It is the site of the first flight by the military of a Wright Brothers aircraft. Of any aircraft. The aircraft crashed. The wright brother that went up (I forget which) was seriously injured and the Army Lieutenant that went up with him was killed. My barracks was right across the street from the crash site.

That's quite an honor, in both cases ( being a member of the Old Guard and the site).  I was awed to find my hotel in San Antonio right across the street from the Alamo.  History is impressive when you can touch, feel, and see it!

• Like 1