Old Pictures

Eric

USS St. Lo:

At 10:47, Oct. 25, 1944, off Samar Island, the task unit came under a concentrated air attack by the Shikishima Special Attack Unit. A Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero—perhaps flown by Lieutenant Yukio Seki—crashed into the flight deck of St. Lo at 10:51. Its bomb penetrated the flight deck and exploded on the port side of the hangar deck, where aircraft were in the process of being refueled and rearmed. A gasoline fire erupted, followed by six secondary explosions, including detonations of the ship's torpedo and bomb magazine. St. Lo was engulfed in flame and sank 30 minutes later.Of the 889 men aboard, 113 were killed or missing and approximately 30 others died of their wounds

bz-5d0546a76bc85.jpeg.a1cb04a08de2438cd22eaff6b9592db6.jpeg

bz-5d0546b1cd9ff.jpeg.6ac8872f5401e1607c878c11de0d1b7a.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

The anniversary of the invasion of Saipan, 1944, beginning the huge air-sea-land battle encompassing Saipan, Tinian, Guam and the reaches of the Philippine Sea, that saw the cry, "Hell is upon us," uttered by the Japanese commander as some 60,000 Japanese troops perished in battle, the Japanese Naval Air Force was annihilated, and thousands more civilians committed suicide by jumping from Saipan's cliffs.

bz-5d053cd174e25.jpeg.99c44af8c58961b60859226dee5e2a0d.jpeg

bz-5d053ed43c2a9.jpeg.bcece791396e4cbb426bf510c9b50fc0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Well, I guess they learned a valuable lesson.

According to what I read at that time, the Shah was trying to modernize Iran too fast, too much Western influence and loss of Muslim customs.  The Muslim clerics were afraid that they would be put out to pasture.  So they started a revolution and threw the nation backwards in time.  But all was good now that the state was run by their religion.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, janice6 said:

According to what I read at that time, the Shah was trying to modernize Iran too fast, too much Western influence and loss of Muslim customs.  The Muslim clerics were afraid that they would be put out to pasture.  So they started a revolution and threw the nation backwards in time.  But all was good now that the state was run by their religion.

The lesson I was referring to was "never publicly protest against a totalitarian regime". I doubt very many of these ladies are living happy lives today, especially those who could be identified.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

The lesson I was referring to was "never publicly protest against a totalitarian regime". I doubt very many of these ladies are living happy lives today, especially those who could be identified.

I understand.  I was just stating how absurd the premise was for making it a Muslim state.  As always it was a quest for power and the populace paid the price.  previously, women in Iran were respected, now they are dominated.  

Edited by janice6
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Well, I guess they learned a valuable lesson.

Maybe there is a similarity here between what is happening to our society and what has happened to Muslim society.

For example, the quest for Muslim men to dominate women to sate their feelings of impotency, which appears to be brought on by  the religious and governing structure that dictates that the most powerful and ruthless control the rest of their population.   The common men comprising the lowest of the powerful in their country, need to feel that they control something, or someone so they can taste that power for themselves.  Women don't fight back much, so they are the prey.

While all the self described factions of our fractured society in the USA are trying to dominate everyone that doesn't accept their claims as a valid human condition.   Maybe our splinter groups coalescing to dominate, is much like the ineffectual males at the bottom of Muslim countries trying to feel they have some control by subjugating those that don't agree with them.  Thus giving them a belief that they have value, versus their previous feelings of irrelevancy.

The difference between these two societies is that our is used to fighting back, while theirs have a 1000 year philosophy that compares to our popular song, "What will be, will be".  

• Like 2

Maybe there is a similarity here between what is happening to our society and what has happened to Muslim society.

For example, the quest for Muslim men to dominate women to sate their feelings of impotency, which appears to be brought on by  the religious and governing structure that dictates that the most powerful and ruthless control the rest of their population.   The common men comprising the lowest of the powerful in their country, need to feel that they control something, or someone so they can taste that power for themselves.  Women don't fight back much, so they are the prey.

While all the self described factions of our fractured society in the USA are trying to dominate everyone that doesn't accept their claims as a valid human condition.   Maybe our splinter groups coalescing to dominate, is much like the ineffectual males at the bottom of Muslim countries trying to feel they have some control by subjugating those that don't agree with them.  Thus giving them a belief that they have value, versus their previous feelings of irrelevancy.

The difference between these two societies is that our is used to fighting back, while theirs have a 1000 year philosophy that compares to our popular song, "What will be, will be".  

You may not fully appreciate the effects that a life of Mohammedan Theocratic Indoctrination, with harsh punishments as negative reinforcement for apostasy might have on the incidence of extreme male dominant behavior in a culture that in many ways dates back nearly 1400 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, C_Hallbert said:

You may not fully appreciate the effects that a life of Mohammedan Theocratic Indoctrination, with harsh punishments as negative reinforcement for apostasy, might have on the incidence of extreme male dominant behavior in a culture that in many ways dates back nearly 1400 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right.  I don't appreciate it in the least.  However, I do see what it has produced over all this time.  little to nothing.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think this picture was taken in 1968, or a little after. The newest car I see is a 1968 model or later, anyway. Cool pic.

1560879225_64588680_1587644628056656_7228571233527267328_o_mmthumb.jpg.f1c22c0236a06c090a1fcd131d238116.jpg

Interesting thing I noticed. Most cars were single occupant and most drivers were like sitting on the arm rest of their drivers door.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Bish1309 said:

Interesting thing I noticed. Most cars were single occupant and most drivers were like sitting on the arm rest of their drivers door.

Maybe it was a hot day and they were trying to pick up the breeze from the door windows. A/C wasn't all that common an option back then.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Eric said:

Maybe it was a hot day and they were trying to pick up the breeze from the door windows. A/C wasn't all that common an option back then.

You may be on to something. I see several with those window vents open.

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Bish1309 said:

You may be on to something. I see several with those window vents open.

It's amazing how grateful you can be for a hot blast of air in the face when the alternative is just baking in the car. I remember those days well. I remember our family having pickups with cowl vents and side vents under the dash. As long as you were moving, they really helped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And the front seats back then were bench style.  Very few 'bucket seats' available.  A few cars had, but nobody used, seat belts.  So one arm out the window, or one's left elbow resting on the door armrest, was how most folks drove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think this picture was taken in 1968, or a little after. The newest car I see is a 1968 model or later, anyway. Cool pic.

1560879225_64588680_1587644628056656_7228571233527267328_o_mmthumb.jpg.f1c22c0236a06c090a1fcd131d238116.jpg

The only foreign cars in sight are a couple of VW's.

• Like 3