Old Pictures

Eric

On 3/11/2019 at 7:31 AM, pipedreams said:

Halifax crew amidst the damage caused when it was hit by a falling bomb from another aircraft while raiding Cologne on the night of June 28-29, 1943.

Halifax crew amidst the damage caused when it was hit by a falling bomb from another aircraft while raiding Cologne on the night of June 28-29, 1943..jpeg

I notice the top gunner is not smiling in the photo.  Just guessing he had to change his undies after they landed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Decimated the Beaver population.

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

04d742d2782cbc7670a5e93f6a41fdb6.jpg

Tophats... tails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet those Top hats played hell with the clearance signs on overhead bridges.   

• Haha 2

On 3/20/2019 at 7:34 AM, pipedreams said:

left James Thomas Bird, right John J. Haynes Texas Rangers 1886

left James Thomas Bird, right John J. Haynes Texas Rangers 1886.jpeg

It's odd that Texas Rangers would still be carrying cap&ball revolvers in 1886, and taking a photo without their Winchesters.  Just sayin.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 7:13 PM, railfancwb said:

When did “finger outside trigger guard” become standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When people found out the guns could accidently go off when their fingers were ON the trigger.

• Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, janice6 said:

Yes.  And they got caught between the relay contacts.

I worked for Remington Rand Univac right at the end of the Vacuum Computer era.  A couple of years after I started, Software to allow multitasking changed the cost of using the computer from Thousands of dollars per task, to almost ten's of dollars per task.

We were a military contractor.  If we didn't have a military contract to pay for the use of the computer, we couldn't use it.  the operation costs were so high the government were the only ones that could afford to use it.  It belonged to the Navy!

My company made numerous Military computers and built facilities to house them.  Our computers had air-conditioning long before my facility put it in for the staff.

Our only graphical readouts were performed by line by line printing on chain printers resulting in some cases 100's of feet long graphs done in asci format.

We would get a bunch of staff down the long hall in the facility and raise the printouts to be viewed at a grazing angle to be able to see the graphical function.

It was a wonderous time.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 4