Old Pictures

Eric

10 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Notice how well the passengers are dressed. And the cabin is unlikely to be air conditioned. 

Travelng in public was considered a very formal activity and you presented yourself in the best light,

It was a stretch for me in my early travel days to adjust to jeans and T shirts........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Travelng in public was considered a very formal activity and you presented yourself in the best light,

It was a stretch for me in my early travel days to adjust to jeans and T shirts........

Going to walk-in movies was also often a dress up occasion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Knight might have actually been one of about a dozen Washington area journalists who joined the Marines as part of a new program that allowed journalist to be Marines first and correspondents second.

I have two books written by Washington Post journalists who were part of this group who petitioned the Commandant of the Marines to start the program.

Notice...they shot first. Wrote later.

This was the start of the Marine Journalism program.   If if you've ever worked with one.  They are among the best photographers and writers I've known.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

e6e6216b1ee9d6b9.png?1593319310

Or wives that would dress like that around the house.

Probably brings her husband a martini after work.  Well made.

Mine is more likely to throw the olives at me one at a time...and tell me to make my own.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Looks like some of Adolf's super soldiers just surrendered to an African American.  Our man looks like he's not one to tangle with.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3a/BlacksoldierwithGermanPOW.jpg/1200px-BlacksoldierwithGermanPOW.jpg

He better be, he wouldn't have much time to bring that rifle to the ready if those Germans should decide to jump him. Nice pic, though...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

He better be, he wouldn't have much time to bring that rifle to the ready if those Germans should decide to jump him. Nice pic, though...

The photo was taken in 1945...these men had seen enough. They wanted to go home if they could.

Our probably had a lot of friends with him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Historian said:

The photo was taken in 1945...these men had seen enough. They wanted to go home if they could.

Our probably had a lot of friends with him.

I go with the latter (somebody had to take that pic). The Germans still did resistance months after VE Day. You can never count on surrendering soldiers being docile.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I go with the latter (somebody had to take that pic). The Germans still did resistance months after VE Day. You can never count on surrendering soldiers being docile.

After VE it wasn't as much as many people would think.  Yes, there was some.    And i agree with your comment that you still can't trust'em.

None of them have decorations.  They got rid of anything that might be useful to tie them to something they didn't want to be known for.

• Like 2