Old Pictures

Eric

NEVER FORGET

"This is a mass burial at sea, on the USS Intrepid in 1944 following a kamikaze attack. I've never seen this photo, and I figure most of you probably haven't either. I posted it so people can see, and remember the incredible sacrifices made on our behalf."

ab572a442b441f8c.png.c733a13c2160d445a897f05958b77f15.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

What is used now for ballast in sea burials? Supposedly in the days of wooden ships and iron men, cast iron cannonballs from weapons inventory were used, but such wouldn’t normally be available today. 

In a life-time of reading about that war I have never seen this photograph.   Rather humbling. 

In regards to the previous posting of the African American aviators...one thing that comes to mind is...as officers...as pilots.

They still had to deal with Jim Crow laws that made them use the back door to enter a department store.

You can liberate a concentration camp.   But have to sit at the back of the bus.

We had a lot of growing to do as a nation.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Historian said:

In a life-time of reading about that war I have never seen this photograph.   Rather humbling. 

In regards to the previous posting of the African American aviators...one thing that comes to mind is...as officers...as pilots.

They still had to deal with Jim Crow laws that made them use the back door to enter a department store.

You can liberate a concentration camp.   But have to sit at the back of the bus.

I saw this for the first time for me when I reported to my ship in Charleston, SC.  I had many experiences that I had trouble understanding at the time.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Historian said:

My father was in some of the major operations in the Pacific and I remember him briefly speaking of sea burials.  He never spoke much about the war but did witness a kamikaze attack on a hospital ship which turned him against the Japanese for the rest of his life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, railfancwb said:

What is used now for ballast in sea burials? Supposedly in the days of wooden ships and iron men, cast iron cannonballs from weapons inventory were used, but such wouldn’t normally be available today. 

I was told they used plaster in the area around the feet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

My father was in some of the major operations in the Pacific and I remember him briefly speaking of sea burials.  He never spoke much about the war but did witness a kamikaze attack on a hospital ship which turned him against the Japanese for the rest of his life. 

I think it was pretty normal for a lot of people to feel that way considering the horror the Japanese brought with WWII.   I have read a lot into why they started the war and I think most of them knew...it was all or nothing...and they didn't have much of a chance of winning.   They were, however, a hell of a force to recon with.

• Like 2

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Historian said:

I think it was pretty normal for a lot of people to feel that way considering the horror the Japanese brought with WWII.   I have read a lot into why they started the war and I think most of them knew...it was all or nothing...and they didn't have much of a chance of winning.   They were, however, a hell of a force to recon with.

I think it goes deeper than that. I think they saw themselves as superior to other races/nationalities and treated them with a cruelty and callousness they would not have inflicted on perceived equals. To some extent, I think that arrogance is still a part of their culture today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

I think it goes deeper than that. I think they saw themselves as superior to other races/nationalities and treated them with a cruelty and callousness they would not have inflicted on perceived equals. To some extent, I think that arrogance is still a part of their culture today. 

That was certainly part of the issue, Eric.  Without any doubt.   They had for hundreds of years felt they were superior.   And yes, i think they still have the arrogance streak within their culture.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Historian said:

That was certainly part of the issue, Eric.  Without any doubt.   They had for hundreds of years felt they were superior.   And yes, i think they still have the arrogance streak within their culture.

While all that is certainly true,  I give today's Japanese credit for being smart about diversity and that sort of crap we are being fed.  They control their immigration carefully and you don't see any Mosque's being built in Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

While all that is certainly true,  I give today's Japanese credit for being smart about diversity and that sort of crap we are being fed.  They control their immigration carefully and you don't see any Mosque's being built in Japan.

They have tried very hard to preserve their culture.   That's for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere in Great Britain. Note driving on left. Believe the tank with steel skeleton around it is part of a coal gasification plant. Had one in the town where I grew up. 

Note also the numbers of flue pipes in the chimneys. Shades of Mary Poppins!

17E3E183-692C-489E-B969-40659FE50BEA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1