Old Pictures

Eric

My Uncle and Godfather WWII. He served with Audi Murphy. Family story is that Audi intervened with the higher ups to allow my uncle to go into the Italian town where his  father and my Grandfather were born to bring food and supplies. At the time soldiers were not allowed into the towns. Never could really verify because he never wanted to talk about the war. I lost him this past year.

Uncle Dom WW 2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I remember the end of the era when men of means always put one hand in their pocket.  It beats the hell out of me why that came about, but I guess they thought it gave them "stature".

I knew a guy like that. One hand in his pocket always. Everyone called him "Pocket Pool Louie". I kid you not. tom. :cowboy2:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had loved the use of the one hand in the jacket pocket while seeing the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"; in which Michael Caine instructs Steve Martin in the art of looking like a confident, suave (you can pick many words to interject) gentleman (of means, of course!); this website to me said a lot! http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/10/people-stuck-one-hand-jackets-old-photographs/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, UHLAWPUP said:

And yet, I remember him as being genuine and quite kind.  He was being himself, not acting.

When you have that much tallent...just be you...for most people that's hard.

Btw...watch in  the magnificent seven because of your posting.

I have to ask...how did you get that assignment?

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VinD said:

My Uncle and Godfather WWII. He served with Audi Murphy.

Just wanted to say thank you. My mother's family straddles the border with some French and some Italian.   About five years go I found out Japanese American troops liberated my mom's village...amazing.

I'm here because they took a stand. That generation leaves me in awe.  Men like your uncle.

Thanks for sharing that photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

When you have that much tallent...just be you...for most people that's hard.

Btw...watch in  the magnificent seven because of your posting.

I have to ask...how did you get that assignment?

They were premiering a movie here in Houston, and the local press got to do one-on-ones with the stars. I can’t remember the flick, but Richard Crenna was in it with him, and I thinkMary Lou Henner. It was quite awhile ago. 

Edited by UHLAWPUP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UHLAWPUP said:

They were premiering a movie here in Houston, and the local press got to do one-on-ones with the stars. I can’t remember the flick, but Richard Crenna was in it with him, and I thinkMary Lou Henner. It was quite awhile ago. 

Nice!  A local spin on a flick.   Sounds like a story that come some attention.

But you got to meet one of America's greatest actors.

Jackie Mitchell, a 17-year-old southpaw pitched against the New York Yankees in an exhibition game.

The first batter she faced was Babe Ruth, followed by Lou Gehrig, the deadliest hitting duo in baseball history.

Mitchell struck them both out!

9f8d98917fb9aa21.jpeg?1585858145

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lot's of pictures at the link

The freezing hell of the Battle of the Bulge: Colorized images show resilience of US troops in snow camouflage advancing on Ardennes and tank crews huddling together in front of camp fires ahead of one of the most brutal encounters of WWII

26680190-8176637-Soldiers_march_down_a_snowy_track_running_through_the_western_fr-a-120_1585754588777.jpg.a511db6b6c9c3ce10a37128d6183c747.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8176637/The-freezing-hell-Battle-Bulge-Colorized-images-resilience-troops.html

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

The contestants of the 1946 Miss America pageant lined up in their swimsuits and sashes.

2294b9ddf850cc5e.png?1585978625

Can we pick from the assortment presented, or do we have to take what's given...………………..

First time my GF and I went swimming at the Granite quarry, she had a suit like that.  Then I married her.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Sticks are easier to load/reload and not as heavy, also easier to use.

They also taped three sticks together so they could just flip the stick and insert a full magazine.  The stick in the middle was flipped opposite that of the outside two.  That essentially gave them 10 more rounds than the rotary magazine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

They also taped three sticks together so they could just flip the stick and insert a full magazine.  The stick in the middle was flipped opposite that of the outside two.  That essentially gave them 10 more rounds than the rotary magazine.

Also read that the drum magazines rattled. 

• Thanks 1