Old Pictures

Eric

11 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

What are those ladies doing? Sanding the skin of those fish to make them slide through the water faster? I wouldn't think it would be surface prep for some kind of paint, etc. since they already have fins bolted on.

Maybe it's a final smoothing of the skins so they don't scratch/score the tubes.  Speculation, since I don't really know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

d36d033f3f69d873.jpg?1582541670

In 1868 the US House of Representatives vote 126 to 47 to impeach President Andrew Johnson. The primary charge against Johnson was violation of the Tenure of Office Act, passed by Congress in March 1867, over his veto. Specifically, he had removed from office Edwin M. Stanton, the secretary of war—whom the act was largely designed to protect—and attempted to replace him with Brevet Major General Lorenzo Thomas.

• Like 2

Air view of the biggest industrial plant in the world, the Dodge Chicago Plant at 75th and Pulaski Road on Sept. 9, 1945. By 1950, the Ford Motor company would be making 28 cylinder Pratt and Whitney Wasp Major engines for use in Air Force planes. — Chicago Tribune historical photo

Air view of the biggest industrial plant in the world, the Dodge Chicago Plant at 75th and Pulaski Road on Sept. 9, 1945. By 1950, the Ford Motor company would be making 28 cylinder Pratt and Whitney Wasp Major engines for use in Air Force planes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pipedreams said:

d4006350a472929f.jpeg?1582478644

On February 23, 1942, at 19:00 hours, Japanese submarine I-17 fired on the Richfield aviation fuel tanks outside Santa Barbara, California. Although little damage occurred the shelling frightened the population and influenced the decision to intern Japanese-Americans.

Over 400 ships were sunk off the East coast by German submarines

it never hit the press in a big way as to not panic the population

things have changed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, pipedreams said:

The Illinois Reserve Militia guard Midway Airport during World War II in Chicago, circa Jan. 12, 1942.

The Illinois Reserve Militia guard Midway Airport during World War II in Chicago, circa Jan. 12, 1942.

They apparently carried bayonets due to limited ammunition and carrying capacity when attacked by superior numbers, I suspect along with the long firearm that hindered close in fighting.

So why can't people that live in states with limited magazine capacity, carry long knives to protect themselves when the magazine is empty...…………  Musings

• Like 2