Old Pictures

Eric

On 1/18/2020 at 6:58 AM, Bish1309 said:

The one in the dark uniform and white cap? Yeah, I think I see him. Tell him thanks for his service!

That is one long girl. I gotta ask. I'm no physics major but how does the ship not tip over? ?

Here is how one aspect of that was addressed:

Earlier in my career    I attended a conference hosted by the Navy representing my company.  The issue was that the mechanical rotational assembly and the massive reflectors comprising the radars used on US Navy ships, was getting to heavy and there was a real danger of the ships losing stability due to the tremendous mass on the top of the masts.

The answer that came about was exemplified by,   "...The Aegis Combat System is controlled by an advanced, automatic detect-and-track, multi-function three-dimensional passive electronically scanned array radar, the AN/SPY-1. Known as "the Shield of the Fleet", the SPY high-powered (6 megawatt) radar is able to perform search, tracking, and missile guidance functions simultaneously with a track capacity of well over 100 targets at more than 100 nautical miles (190 km).[3] However the AN/SPY-1 Radar is mounted lower than the AN/SPS-49 radar system and so has a reduced radar  horizon.[4]…" ,   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis_Combat_System

...This produced a radar that was a planar configuration with electronic scanning of thousands of modules

on the antenna surface that were individually controlled both in phase relative to the rest of the elements,

and also in their radiated power.

The computer could make one powerful beam of energy, or multiple beams working independently from

each other, to independently track multiple targets at the same time.

This radar system had the antennas mounted on the sides of the superstructure rather than on top of the mast.  Together with electronic beam scanning, it eliminated the unwieldy mass of the old antenna structure and it's mechanical rotational motor drive systems.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Here is how one aspect of that was addressed:

Earlier in my career    I attended a conference hosted by the Navy representing my company.  The issue was that the mechanical rotational assembly and the massive reflectors comprising the radars used on US Navy ships, was getting to heavy and there was a real danger of the ships losing stability due to the tremendous mass on the top of the masts.

That pic was from 1958.

Like a lot of good girls...they have some bottom weight that keeps them top portion afloat.  Some models differ and they are more stable above than bellow.  Usually we say, "She took to torpedoes to the back and she's still afloat!"

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 6:38 AM, gwalchmai said:

My grandfather used to send me to the corner drugstore to pick up Pall Malls for him. I was maybe six.

Convenience store across the street from my elementary school in the late 1940s sold cigarettes by the each and didn’t ask for ID. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Convenience store across the street from my elementary school in the late 1940s sold cigarettes by the each and didn’t ask for ID. 

MY home town never broke a pack.  But they didn't care who bought them either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

See...

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

$8.85 in 2019 is required to match what $1.00 in 1958 could buy, considering only the decrease in the value of a Federal Reserve Note. Technology changes in automobiles, for example, make that comparison of marginal value. 

Technology changes in Television are at the pace of in cars, yet TV's today are cheaper than at that time.  In terms of cost, they are priced the same as in 58.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2019 at 3:49 AM, pipedreams said:

The original Highway 15 -- Route 66 -- out of California. Cajon Pass back in the day.

The original Highway 15 -- Route 66 -- out of California. Cajon Pass back in the day..jpeg

Not California, but Colorado; the use of wagon train has caused confusion: The correct title is "Oxen team heading up Ute Pass (U.S. 24) taking supplies to the Ute Agency." - NARA - 293477.jpg   https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:"Oxen_team_heading_up_Ute_Pass_(U.S._24)_taking_supplies_to_the_Ute_Agency."_-_NARA_-_293477.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, railfancwb said:

That's very interesting. I was born in the 40's, when cigarette packs were included in WWII soldier's (C-) rations. When I started (mistake! I quit!) smoking, some places like restaurants handed-out free cigarettes in 2-packs, even 5-packs (hard paper packaging); and of course free books of matches were common in diners, usually in a glass 'fish bowl' on the cashier's counter. Whether you smoked or not, you were smart if you 'collected' them, as today they have higher value. 

• Like 3

On 1/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, Bish1309 said:

The one in the dark uniform and white cap? Yeah, I think I see him. Tell him thanks for his service!

That is one long girl. I gotta ask. I'm no physics major but how does the ship not tip over? ?

So i talked to Dad last night.  He said that the photo there was taken about one month before he arrived but everyone was still very excited about the president's review of the men and ship.

He got a chuckle out of the photo.   About a month later he did stand in review for Eisenhower while he was in the South of France.

Just a great looking ship.   Thanks for letting me share, fellow Boresiters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, janice6 said:

This is what happens when you let the government take care of you.  They quickly decide that they don't want some of you.

Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP put that up on the anniversary of the liberation of the hell that was Auschwitz.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Historian said:

The OP put that up on the anniversary of the liberation of the hell that was Auschwitz.

I watched some of the "services".  My first thought, was of the politicians and liberals shedding the Crocodile tears while making political and social statements to the press, about how those that didn't agree with them should go to camps like this.

Damn right I'm a cynic!!!!!  I know very well the suffering those people were put through in those camps.  I knew it quite well since I was around 10 years old. 

I have no faith in hypocritic politicians or liberals protecting my present and future.   I see their hate for me in the media, and I read their threats for my fate under them.  

I see little difference between them and Nazi Germany.  All they need is the opportunity!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I have no faith in hypocritic politicians or liberals protecting my present and future.   I see their hate for me in the media, and I read their threats for my fate under them.  

I have no faith in the people that say never again in one breath, and the next say take my guns.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 5:13 PM, konabish said:

That's very interesting. I was born in the 40's, when cigarette packs were included in WWII soldier's (C-) rations. When I started (mistake! I quit!) smoking, some places like restaurants handed-out free cigarettes in 2-packs, even 5-packs (hard paper packaging); and of course free books of matches were common in diners, usually in a glass 'fish bowl' on the cashier's counter. Whether you smoked or not, you were smart if you 'collected' them, as today they have higher value. 

I remember young ladies walking around the county fairs, sometimes at stock car races or flea markets handing out free sample packs and matches to anyone who looked “old enough to smoke”.

• Like 1