Old Pictures

Eric

6 hours ago, pipedreams said:

On January 11, 2008: New Zealander Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man, with Sherpa mountaineer Tenzing Norgay, to climb Mt. Everest, dies from a heart attack at the age of 88 in Auckland, New Zealand.

image.png.acbd27c83db9ea789077c6f3f352b920.png

OTOH, he bears no resemblance at all to Hillary Clinton...

• Haha 4

(Jan. 13, 1910) during an experimental transmission at the 39th street Metropolitan Opera House in New York City, Lee de Forest's Radio Telephone Company broadcasted the first public radio broadcast. The broadcast was a live performance of the operas Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci.

image.png.4b569f26dec95386ba2bf561f04b6b5d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pipedreams said:

(Jan. 13, 1910) during an experimental transmission at the 39th street Metropolitan Opera House in New York City, Lee de Forest's Radio Telephone Company broadcasted the first public radio broadcast. The broadcast was a live performance of the operas Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci.

image.png.4b569f26dec95386ba2bf561f04b6b5d.png

He is the inventor of the Triode Vacuum Tube.  The first of vacuum tube technology leading to real radio communications and Amplifiers.

He also was a leader in developing sound on film recording. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bish1309 said:

No F'n way...

I simply couldn't trust the cable.

My minesweeper had moored mine, sweep cables.  The weave was classified and they never break!  We broke one.  It caused a full blown Naval Investigation to determine why.

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2018 at 10:43 PM, Borg warner said:

Gunther Toody and Francis Muldoon.

Wow we found car 54!

Seriously.  I'm late to this tread.

Eric posted a picture of Sophie Scholl.

Her story breaks a mortal's heart. I just spent 10 minutes reading about her...and i knew about her already....may God welcome her home.  May those who condemned her rot in hell for eternity.

Edited by Historian

On 1/13/2020 at 6:13 AM, pipedreams said:

4TH MARINES CORREGIDOR BEFORE THE BOMBING AND SHELLING

image.png.832d550fd67003de8d7c5faa607ca270.png

In the early 50's a friend of mine was digging through some of his deceased fathers jackets from WWII and he found an unopened pack of Camel's Cigarettes' in one pocket.  Many years later we opened the pack and each lit one up.

God! The were horrible!  They burned very quickly and smelled like a Grass fire.  I had to go back to my old standby Pall Malls.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

In the early 50's a friend of mine was digging through some of his deceased fathers jackets from WWII and he found an unopened pack of Camel's Cigarettes' in one pocket.  Many years later we opened the pack and each lit one up.

God! The were horrible!  They burned very quickly and smelled like a Grass fire.  I had to go back to my old standby Pall Malls.

My grandfather used to send me to the corner drugstore to pick up Pall Malls for him. I was maybe six.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Historian said:

image.jpeg.1b5fb67e4e7729f254006317e6c3ce6e.jpeg

I am pretty darn sure my dad is in this photograph.  I am about to call him.  Uss Des Moines 1959, waiting for President Eisenhower.

The one in the dark uniform and white cap? Yeah, I think I see him. Tell him thanks for his service!

That is one long girl. I gotta ask. I'm no physics major but how does the ship not tip over? ?

• Like 1