Old Pictures

Eric

"Oldest survivor of USS Indianapolis has died at 98" https://abcn.ws/2QPAGxc

"It brings us great sadness to share that Don Howison, the oldest remaining survivor, and the last living officer of USS Indianapolis, has passed away," the post said. "Don was a wonderful man with a great sense of humor and outlook on life. Rest In Peace, sailor. You will not be forgotten."

To this day, the tragedy that left 880 sailors and Marines dead is known as one of the worst disasters in U.S. Naval history. Only 316 survived.

There are now just 10 living survivors.

image.png.5bd6ff387688de49ba4d6983c6ee55ff.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

I understand he slept with a 1911 under his pillow for the rest of his life.

Hell of a soldier!

image.png.0c56c00c1514ceb8da054d21e5609613.png

Fair actor too.

MY father was not a war hero nor a soldier.  But he slept with a loaded 1911 under his pillow too.

When he passed away the girls gave me his pistol.  I had to get a wooden dowel and drive the shell out of the chamber.  It had been there so long the brass oxidized and jammed the round.

It was the early version whiteout the palm swell on the grip.  I shot it well but had no money for ammunition back then. 

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Fair actor too.

MY father was not a war hero nor a soldier.  But he slept with a loaded 1911 under his pillow too.

When he passed away the girls gave me his pistol.  I had to get a wooden dowel and drive the shell out of the chamber.  It had been there so long the brass oxidized and jammed the round.

It was the early version whiteout the palm swell on the grip.  I shot it well but had no money for ammunition back then. 

I’ll give you $10 for it

• Haha 1