What Movie Scared You Most?

Eric

• Administrators

What movie scared you most, when you were a kid? For me, it was probably this 'Documentary' movie about Bigfoot, that came out in 1976 or 1977. Those movies were all the rage, right around that time. I remember watching the movie at a drive-in, at night. The drive-in had a row of seats back by the snack bar, right in front of the edge of a large plot of woods. About halfway through the movie, my dad made to go to the restroom on the side of the snackbar and instead, went into the woods, sneaked up on us, goosed us and yelled. I'm pretty sure my damned heart stopped momentarily. That is the only movie that I can remember ever giving me nightmares, except that time my mother got tired of me causing trouble in the other room and made me sit beside her while she watched Yentl.:Alex: As Marlon Brando once said, "The horror... The horror!":crylikeender:

So, what movie scared you, growing up?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Speleothem said:

"The Exorcist."  When it came out.

Girlfriend picked the movie and I had no idea what to expect.

When I was in the Army, I was stationed at FT Myer, VA, right outside Washington DC. We did our partying in Goergetown, in DC. The Exorcist was filmed on the west end of Georgetown, on whatever the main street of Georgetown was. I think it was M Street. The house was up on a cliff that is sixty feet high or so, right across from where the traffic coming over Key Bridge from Virginia t-intersects onto M Street. There was an old shopping center on M Street, right across from the Key Bridge/M Street intersection. Beside it was a REALLY steep set of stairs that led up to the street on which the house where The Exorcist was filmed sat. The stairs let out on a sidewalk that ran right beside the window of the bedroom where it all happened.

On many occasions, we would be drunk and decide to go run up those stairs in the dark and walk by the house. I don't know why. It was something to do. We did that one time and when we got to the top of the stairs we literally ran into half a dozen Marines who were stationed at the Eighth and I Marine Annex, who had gotten it into their heads to run DOWN the stairs. We scared the collective **** out of each other and had a good laugh. Then we went back to a seedy, but kind of cool punk bar in Georgetown called Poseurs and we got hammered. That was a fun night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jaws,  I was about 14 when it came out and we were at Disneyland in Florida.

Ruined me having fun swimming in the ocean.

And now well over 40+ years later of working in the oilfields and offshore all my life - the Sea is Savage and everything in it has teeth.

Offshore at least offshore Africa we dump the kitchen scraps overboard 4 times a day.

When we do man over board drills and rescue's with a dummy - it is not unusual for the Dummy to get chewed to hell....

Faced with burning up or drowning or becoming fish shiite in a couple of days......I will jump but I won't like it.....

• Like 1

Was an old Black and White "B" movie about trees that could come alive move around and snatch you.  Don't remember the name but I remember watching my back when outside in the dark around trees for several weeks after that.  I was young boy at the time. Was on Ghoulardi "Shock Theater"   My parents did not want me to watch his show but I always found a way anyhow..

Dave..

The worst had to have been The Exorcist. I watched it with my older sister late at night when it first came out and she jacked with me the time.

None of the other "horror" movies stand up to that one. Halloween, Friday the 13th, The Omen, they all take a backseat to The Exorcist.

I've run up those stair in Georgetown many times as well late at night in a drunken stupor. Good times.

• Like 1

Some damn vampire movie I saw when I was about 7-8 years old in the hospital.  It had a female vampire  lead.  No idea what movie it was, but it gave me many a sleepless night for awhile. I would imagine I saw her showing up in my door at night ready to kill me. I imagine it was some old B movie, that was not very good, but my childhood imagination made it very real.

• Like 1

Too many to mention -- I was addicted to horror films as a kid, and most caused me sleepless nights... :D

Some that come to mind -- the original "Thing from Another World" with James Arness as the monster (the moment they find the sled-dog drained of blood freaked me out); "Jack the Ripper" (an old Hammer film about the serial killer); "Attack of the Crab Monsters" (I was REALLY young when I saw that one...); "Caltiki, the Immortal Monster," some Hammer Films version of "Frankenstein"...

Yeah -- a lot of cheesy movies there -- but I was young, and those were far more innocent times... 

I'm not counting any movies I didn't see until I was an adult... :)

Probably Shogun. I don't think I'll ever get the images and sounds of that guy being boiled out of my head. 

I wasn't a kid when I saw it, but Event Horizon was a pretty darn disturbing and scary movie, also.

Edited by Brad

That's easy!

In 1951 my father took me to a movie I had been pestering him about.  It was "The Thing From Another World".  I was cringing the whole time.  Only movie that ever did this to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

It was a classic.  Filmed in darkness much of the time and made you create the "thing" in your mind.  Without a doubt, the scariest movie I had seen in my life.  I found that I could scare me, more than a monster  the movie created to scare me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, janice6 said:

That's easy!

In 1951 my father took me to a movie I had been pestering him about.  It was "The Thing From Another World".  I was cringing the whole time.  Only movie that ever did this to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044121/

It was a classic.  Filmed in darkness much of the time and made you create the "thing" in your mind.  Without a doubt, the scariest movie I had seen in my life.  I found that I could scare me, more than a monster  the movie created to scare me.

I have the DVD of the 1951 "The Thing"... I re-watch it occasionally. It holds up amazingly well. It's a supremely smart movie, as one would expect from a film directed by the legendary Howard Hawks (the directorial credit went to Hawks' new son-in-law, Christian Nyby -- but everyone knows the film has too much of the characteristics of Hawks not to have been directed by him).

Some scenes in the film have yet to be surpassed for thrills and cinematic horror. The build-up to the kerosene-dowsing scene, and the kerosene battle itself, is one. IIRC, igniting a stunt-man to the extent and duration that the scene demanded had never before been attempted in a movie. People weren't a hundred percent sure that the stunt-man could actually survive the scene. O.o

The ice-melting scene with the electric blanket mistakenly still plugged in -- another instant classic.

The studio wanted to do a literal adaptation of John Campbell's sci-fi/horror novel, "Who Goes There?" (which was achieved by John Carpenter in the 1982 remake). But Hawks & company smartly realized that they didn't have the budget or technology to realize the monster in the book. So they opted to go with an alien kept in shadows most of the time -- another smart decision. :)

• Like 1

Young kid, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. It didn't help that the year after those major hurricanes hit FL and we went to Orlando... specifically... Halloween Horror Nights at universal... To this day I am somewhat scared of chainsaws... and I carry a gun 99% of the time.

Teen/ older kid and now: Contagion and other Biomedical epidemic/pandemic movies. 

The shining. The conjuring was one of the best new horror movies.  

Some movie with clowns killing people, running through a dark house...could never remember the name and never watched it again. 

Edited by r3dot