What Car Did You...

Eric

4 hours ago, KWalrad said:

1984 Chevy Citation. Had a front seat like a sofa. My aunt drove me down for the test about a week before I left to Fort Benning.

The physical D.L. was paper, and by the time I left Georgia, it was pretty tattered and illegible just from being in my wallet.

Replacing it was one of the first things I did when I took my first leave "home".

Same here.  1984 Chevy Citation.  Was the driver's education car.  

Driving instructor looked like Bob Ross and was also the tennis coach.

I had a very homely Asian girl in my class that ran over some poor families landscaping pulling into their driveway.

She didn't pass.

• Haha 1

The original death trap.

I drove the bug  because it was very easy to parallel park.  that was the part of the driving test everyone feared.  Of course it was a stick.  A buddy of mine failed his first driving test cause he ran over a curb.  We never let him live that one down. 

vw.jpg

Edited by norton
  • Like 1

We have a wide variety of ages here, but I suggest that we can divide the population into those that saw Blood on the Highway in Driver's Ed and those that that were deemed to sensitive and would have nightmares and watched a Captain Planet film instead.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A 1973 Toyota Corona in 1981.  Got in with the examiner, made a show of adjusting the mirrors (which were already adjusted, as I'd DRIVEN it there, but the game must be played), belted in and made sure the examiner did as well, then backed up out of the space, drove around the DMV building to the exit, stopped and made a right onto the street out in front.  Drove perhaps a mile down the road, stopped and signaled a left turn across traffic and drove up through the local park.  Full stop and a signaled left turn out of the park then down the side road to the street where the DMV was.  Full stop, signaled right turn onto the main road, then another stop and signaled left turn back into the driveway of the DMV, followed by a right turn into the first available (angled) parking space.  Total distance perhaps a mile and a half.  No parallel parking.  Cake and pie.  Despite that, there were kids I went to high school with that still managed to fail the driving part.  That's scary!!

As an aside, the driver ed school cars were 79-80ish Fords, might have been Granadas or Fairmonts.  All of them had broken steering wheel center trim pieces, because some bright light at Ford had decided that putting the horn button on the turn signal stalk (you pushed in on the end, towards the steering column to blow the horn) was a good idea - far better than putting it on the wheel hub or spoke where they'd been since what, the fifties or earlier?  :headscratch:  You know, the spot you naturally mash down on in events where you need the horn?  Because of course in an emergency you'll have the manual dexterity to put a fingertip on the end 3/4" diameter signal stalk that's at 9:00 relative to the steering column and 2" or so from the rim of the wheel.  Even at sixteen that struck me as an incredibly stupid way to arrange the controls.  :shakehead:

And in reply to Tous' question above, for us it wasn't Blood on the Highway, but instead a rather gruesome B&W film called Signal 30.

-Pat

• Like 1

When I got my motorcycle endorsement, a dumb kid was there to get his licenses. When they went outside to do the driving test, the examiner sent kid home without his license. Didn't even do the driving test.

The kid had apparently been getting his ride ready for some time. It was a Chevy Luv pickup that he had shoehorned a V8 into and had a 671 blower sticking out of the hood.

I don't know who the bigger dumb ass was. The kid for thinking they would let him test in that or his dad that drove him there and back in it.

18 hours ago, Borg warner said:

The Pacer was very futuristic.

Amc pacer7.jpg

My mother had a blue Pacer wagon. It was actually a very nice car and rode better than most Cadillacs. There are just not bragging rights when you drive a Rambler.

It was best said by one of my customers in the oil fields. He said. "Driving a Rambler is like having sex with an ugly woman. It might feel good but you don't want to let anyone know you did it."

1973 VW camper bus. 4 speed manual with a shifter that was about a yard long and a slanted H shift pattern. The steering wheel was like something you would see on a school bus. Top speed was about 70 mph if you had a tail wind. I took the test in 1979 though I had been driving/riding for several years by then.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:21 AM, Gun Shark said:

Lexus GX in 2009 it was either a 2008/9 or a 2006/7.

Yay!  So I'm not the youngest one here.  2001, I drove Daddy's old 1994 Silverado.  When I got my DL he gave it to me and bought himself a new one.  I still drive it.

And no, I didn't pass parallel parking LOL.

21 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Someone took a hideous car and made it a little less hideous.  A little.

Lol.

When Mrs N and I were about to be married, she needed a new car to drive to work.  She had her eye on a slightly used late model Mustang-this would have been about 1970-her Dad and I talked her into buying a new American Motors Hornet.  They were about the same price.  We kept it 2 years, going through 3 alternators, and it had vacuum windshield wipers that slowed down when you accelerated.  The car was a total piece of crap.  What a stupid idea on my part.  Looking back I think I didn't like the idea of my hot raven haired new bride tooling around in a sexy car.  Like a Mustang. 

It looked like this one, except it was yellow.

american-motors-hornet-1972-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Hannie Caulder said:

Yay!  So I'm not the youngest one here.  2001, I drove Daddy's old 1994 Silverado.  When I got my DL he gave it to me and bought himself a new one.  I still drive it.

And no, I didn't pass parallel parking LOL.

I actually took the test in the neighboring county because their parallel-parking test setup was probably big enough to fit a semi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SC Tiger said:

I actually took the test in the neighboring county because their parallel-parking test setup was probably big enough to fit a semi.

I didn't hit the cones, but I wasn't close enough to the curb.

(And I had already been running one of Daddy's TLB's for the summer LOL.)

Edited by Hannie Caulder