Pepper Spray

Hauptmann6

As a police officer with 16ish years of experience, I've had more experience with pepper spray than I wish. 

I have been sprayed myself several times. It causes an ungodly burning sensation and gets me to shut my eyes, but I can still somewhat function. I can still more or less fight back while I try to see through the pain as best as I can.

I have used pepper spray on bad guys with mixed results. Sometimes it ends the threat, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the situation. For instance, pepper spray doesn't do a damn thing to someone high on PCP. Ask me how I know....

I recommend the largest can of pepper spray she can reasonably carry. The tiny ones are nearly useless. I also hear good things about the "Fox" brand. It's supposedly extra hot stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

As a police officer with 16ish years of experience, I've had more experience with pepper spray than I wish. 

I have been sprayed myself several times. It causes an ungodly burning sensation and gets me to shut my eyes, but I can still somewhat function. I can still more or less fight back while I try to see through the pain as best as I can.

I have used pepper spray on bad guys with mixed results. Sometimes it ends the threat, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the situation. For instance, pepper spray doesn't do a damn thing to someone high on PCP. Ask me how I know....

I recommend the largest can of pepper spray she can reasonably carry. The tiny ones are nearly useless. I also hear good things about the "Fox" brand. It's supposedly extra hot stuff.

I know it's not 100% but it's better than them trying to go hands on. Heck, just the solution in the eyes might be enough to get them 2 seconds to get away.

If the G/F could she would carry, but the kid is about to be 18 and all of 120 pounds soaking wet.

And Fox labs, that's what I was trying to remember. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yeah, it can work....really well, but not always. I have used it and been around it being used several times (and had to take a spray myself at the Academy)    Keep in mind that it does not reduce the strength of someone at all.  It just gives them something else to think about.   Seriously, it does not change what someone can do, it just splits their attention between what they were trying to do and dealing with the suck.   The hope is the suck wins. 

It is my understanding that the stuff *you* can buy is not as powerful as the stuff LE can buy.    If that is true (or even usually true) given that it is not 100% effective, hell maybe not even 75% effective, I sure would not want the weak sauce. 

9 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

"I recommend the largest can of pepper spray she can reasonably carry. The tiny ones are nearly useless."

This.

12 minutes ago, Hauptmann6 said:

I know it's not 100% but it's better than them trying to go hands on. Heck, just the solution in the eyes might be enough to get them 2 seconds to get away.

If the G/F could she would carry, but the kid is about to be 18 and all of 120 pounds soaking wet.

And Fox labs, that's what I was trying to remember. Thanks!

I sympathize with your situation. It would be more ideal to arm them with AR-15's, but that is not realistic. I apologize if this is thread drift, but is a taser out of the question? They sell a selection of products for civilians that are demonstrably more effective than pepper spray. They are, unfortunately, far more expensive. Just a thought...

Back to pepper spray, the ideal setup would be would resemble a fire extinguisher ?

24 minutes ago, Hauptmann6 said:

Tazers in Michigan require a CPL or it's a felony. And ya gotta be 21 to have a cpl. Gotta love the government.

Sorry to hear that you don't live in a more free state. Just go purchase the largest Fox pepper spray you can. Also, teach them good personal safety tactics. General self defense techniques, self awareness, condition yellow, etc.

Michigan is odd. We have some good laws, yet quite a few really stupid ones too. I guess that's what happens when unions run the state.

GF has been paying attention for the last few years and has been learning. The step daughter... well shes a teen girl. She did have the crap scared out of her recently so she's starting to pay attention.

Already ordered the biggest cans I could see them actually carrying on a regular basis.

Thanks all

Fox makes good stuff 

small one on her keychain, large one in her purse. Also think about a personal alarm. The wife has one and you can stay close when it’s going off

I’m not going to criticize, if she can’t carry then she can’t carry. She needs something

https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/five-point-three

https://www.amazon.com/Personal-Emergency-Self-Defense-Security-Keychain/dp/B076FVX6S1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542033443&sr=8-3&keywords=personal+alarms+for+women

Edited by Dric902