Who Remembers?

Eric

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Rabbi said:

Blue Laws

178b8b9f2164b1f204d5674bd63fd28c.png

You must be a mind-reader. My brother, his wife and I were just talking about the Blue Laws in Texas, over dinner. She didn't remember that they used to hang the chains over the entrances to the supermarket aisles that sold things other than food. A supermarket could be open, but you were allowed to be foodstuffs. Hardware, cleaning supplies, etc could not be sold on Sunday. The laws were repealed in 1985.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The thing about most phones back then is the phone company owned them. You paid rent on it. (in many cases)  The pile of **** phone companies probably still charge old people for one of these phones if they have never moved and still have it in some dark corner of the house. 

rotary_phone.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

Coolest toy ever!

6zUhEXvpEvel-Knievel-Stunt-Bike.jpg

Ripcord Racers. Those were great. I had a thought the other day, when I was looking at a display of Fidgit Spinners. Someone needs to make one with a gear on the axle and a little slot for a ripcord. If you used a ripcord to spin one of those things, it would spin for an hour. I bet they would sell like hotcakes.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Eric said:

You must be a mind-reader. My brother, his wife and I were just talking about the Blue Laws in Texas, over dinner. She didn't remember that they used to hang the chains over the entrances to the supermarket aisles that sold things other than food. A supermarket could be open, but you were allowed to be foodstuffs. Hardware, cleaning supplies, etc could not be sold on Sunday. The laws were repealed in 1985.

As the Jewish kid....I was double screwed.  I had Jew stuff to do on Saturday...and everything was closed on Sunday.  I hated the blue laws.  

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Rabbi said:

The thing about most phones back then is the phone company owned them. You paid rent on it. (in many cases)  The pile of **** phone companies probably still charge old people for one of these phones if they have never moved and still have it in some dark corner of the house. 

rotary_phone.jpg

Something I miss about old phones is the ability to slam the handset down in someone's ear, if you were pissed at them. It was satisfying to do so and it made a loud, rude noise in their ear.

I had an idea a while back for a smartphone app. It would be an app that would allow you to 'Slam The Phone Down' in someone's ear. The app would give you a second hangup button that when pushed, would make a loud, jarring noise in the caller's ear, as it disconnected them. I bet the app would sell.:crylikeender:

• Like 2

• Administrators

I also miss the ability to angry-dial a rotary phone. If you were angry when you were making a call, you could whip the hell out of that dial on every digit dialed. It may be a bit childish, but it was a satisfying feeling.

Someone needs to make a big old Buick of a rotary phone, bakelite case and all, that was a Bluetooth accessory for computers or mobile devices. I would buy one.

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Something I miss about old phones is the ability to slam the handset down in someone's ear, if you were pissed at them. It was satisfying to do so and it made a loud, rude noise in their ear.

I had an idea a while back for a smartphone app. It would be an app that would allow you to 'Slam The Phone Down' in someone's ear. The app would give you a second hangup button that when pushed, would make a loud, jarring noise in the caller's ear, as it disconnected them. I bet the app would sell.:crylikeender:

Or you beat the receiver against the wall several times before hanging up.

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, SmokeRoss said:

Or you beat the receiver against the wall several times before hanging up.

Or just pick up that five pound phone and clock someone with it. It would make a cool ringing sound when you did so.:crylikeender:

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Eric said:

It probably work....hell, it probably already exits in some form. 

As a tangent, most people under 30 probably do not grasp the long distance phone call and what a big deal it once was. (and how close long distance often was) 

• Like 2