Who Remembers?

Eric

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, SmokeRoss said:

How about cash registers that had the buttons you pushed like a typewriter, then cranked the handle on the side. yeah, checkout was much slower then.

The car museum had one of those as well. Actually we had two. The one we used to ring up museum admittance tickets and gift shop purchases mas a deep maroon, with streaks of black all over it. It is a painting method they used to do called antiquing. It was intended to make something look old. In this case, the register already was old. It worked like a champ though.

The second register, which was just sitting there being displayed, was a work of art. The chassis of the register was silver plated and the removable panels and other hardware were gold plated. It was gorgeous.

Both registers were similar to this model.

59acfbd572380__32.JPG.29355e875ec83114823783f5915f6ea7.JPG

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

Beverage_pull_tab.jpg

I've almost choked on a few of those. I used to be in the habit of dropping them into the can, after I pulled them off. Bad idea.

It was cool to save them up and make chains out of them though. I knew a kid when I was ten who had a chain of those tabs that ran around the walls of his bedroom more than 3 1/2 times. His dad drank.:crylikeender:

5 minutes ago, SmokeRoss said:

I took typing in high school. The entire class only had 2 electric type writers. Boys weren't allowed to use them as the girls were supposed to be the ones getting typing jobs. I could do 90 words a minute on the manual. 

We  didn't have any electric type writers at all

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, SmokeRoss said:

Thermos bottles that broke if you dropped your metal lunch pail.

I got my ass kicked more than once for dropping a thermos and breaking the glass liner, when my mom would send me to my dad's shop with a thermos full of coffee.

My youngest kid started one of the first bulletin boards on the Kenai Peninsula. Might have been the first. Around 1988. Called 'Neighbor To Neighbor' I remember all the screeching modems in the basement. Had an industrial sized bundle of phone lines coming into the house with a large panel on the wall under the stairs. it's still there actually.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Rabbi said:

This used to mean something awesome might come on. 

This was even better. In the days of only 4 or 5 channels, it meant a night time cartoon special was about to come on (usually Peanuts)

I used to love it when it was a movie premiere on HBO and they would show the full intro, with the camera panning over the enormous scale city diorama. It seemed so high-tech back then.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

This is something you used to have to deal with on many cars. 

01011_BOSCH_POINTS.jpg

It always helped to keep a book of matches in the glove box, in case you needed to gap a set of points. The thickness of the matchbook cover was a good general gap thickness, for most sets of points.

That brings up another one. Who remembers when pretty much every business on Earth had bowls/trays/buckets full of free branded books of matches for their patrons? I think every house in the country had a bowl or kitchen drawer full of a huge variety of matchbooks. Restaurants and such used to have fishbowls set up that you could drop your company's matchbooks into, for drawings for free meals and such. Matchbooks are what you wrote phone numbers on to give to people, you name. Matchbooks were everywhere. Where the hell did they all go?