Who Remembers?

Eric

On September 3, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Eric said:

Who remembers when TVs were furniture?

SylvaniaConsole.thumb.jpg.88f876e9b090698bc28afeed4b0a06c2.jpg

I remember my grandparents first television. It was about the size of my daughters VW Beetle but weighed more and had a screen smaller than my iPad. But that wasn't a problem because it had a 6 inch think magnifier that sat in front f the screen that not only made the image bigger, but distorted the picture unless you were the lucky one to be directly inline with it. 

Cutting edge!

• Like 2

• Administrators
Just now, jmohme said:

I remember my grandparents first television. It was about the size of my daughters VW Beetle but weighed more and had a screen smaller than my iPad. But that wasn't a problem because it had a 6 inch think magnifier that sat in front f the screen that not only made the image bigger, but distorted the picture unless you were the lucky one to be directly inline with it. 

Cutting edge!

The edges of the lens were sharp?

:crylikeender:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, jmohme said:

There was nothing sharp about any of it.

I understand that the early TVs were refurbished and used as power supplies for Gamma Knife procedures.:crylikeender: Those old things put out some radiation!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Who ever used one of those big T-handle keys to reset a gasoline pump back in the full service days. The mechanical computer had to be rolled back between each customer. 

I’ve been trying to find one of those old keys but I can’t even find an image of one. A couple antiques dealers know what I’m taking about but haven’t seen one in years. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 10:51 PM, Batesmotel said:

I remember those well. Dad was an electronics technician. I still have a couple of his tube pullers. Look like skinny spaghetti tongs. 

A couple of years ago I restored a 1950s Grundig cabinet radio. The first time I turned it on was a blast from the past. 

Click

Humm

Smell Ozone

Tubes light up

Radio slowly gets louder

My hero!  I am a radio junkie.  And some of mine still have tubes.

On a cold night you can hear forever.

Fountain pens.  Anyone besides me still use them?

Edited by Historian
  • Like 2

On 9/4/2017 at 12:04 AM, Eric said:

Who remembers when TVs were furniture?

SylvaniaConsole.thumb.jpg.88f876e9b090698bc28afeed4b0a06c2.jpg

Mom was always a huge Elvis fan, when we first moved to Tennessee (I was 12) we went to Graceland. In one of the downstairs rooms was a console TV (there were TVs in every room IIRC), but not just any console TV, the exact same one as in our living room at home with the same color marble top. Mom was jazzed about that until it died a few years later. It then was a stand for other TVs for the next decade or so.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2017 at 4:19 AM, Rabbi said:

da2a5d85b9727ccdbc21900a264644cc.jpg

6 and 10 were the channels Dad watched, but all the good stuff like Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica, was on 43. God help you if Dad caught you zipping it from 6 to 43 too fast.

Edited by billkill
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Historian said:

Did those things actually work? I can't imagine they did.

It might have been a solution for constipation. It could probably shake the **** out of people.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Historian said:

Did those things actually work? I can't imagine they did.

No, of course not.  They were intended to convince people that you could shake fat off instead of working at it.  People don't like work.  It's a four letter word to the drinking class.

Today there is a recent ad for a device like a board with vibrations, making the same claim that you can stand on the board and exercise by being shaken without doing any work.

People will forever look for a way to eliminate exercise since it involves work, yet they will accept preposterous claims if it means they don't have to sweat.

The human race has forever proven gullibility is the basis of crap sold to them.  Always they want something for nothing.  If you put forth no effort, the return you get is commensurate with your sweat equity.

33 minutes ago, janice6 said:

No, of course not.  They were intended to convince people that you could shake fat off instead of working at it.  People don't like work.  It's a four letter word to the drinking class.

I figure any loss of weight would likely be the result of just performing the actions.   Not nearly as useful and exercise and diet.   But more entertaining.

The thing about getting into shape is:  There are no short cuts.

• Thanks 1