To iPad or not to iPad, that is the question...

ChiefWPD

I have two iPads. Like them. My wife is making noise about wanting her own iPad. Fine. I'm not a tech person but do note that there are now quite a few similar devices on the market. The advantage to the iPad, at least as far as I can see, is that there is a transparent transfer of information to any new iPad which I might purchase.

Am I correct in this assumption, or, as in "Iceberg/Goldberg," they're all alike now?

Thanks!

Edit: One iPad is an older model, kind of beat up, which I use as an internet radio.

Gun Shark, so, if I'm reading your thoughts correctly, once part of the Apple system I'd loose data/connection by going to another maker's unit?

You wouldn't necessarily lose data, but things will communicate differently with each other and they store information differently. iOS and Android both have very devices that run them, however, for ease of use, since you aren't a tech person. for ease of use, I would stick with what you're use to.

I personally would love to have one of the new iPad Pro's.... I will probably get one, one of these days or months. mostly for hurricane preparedness and to maybe learn to code.

If you're invested in the Apple Ecosystem, get one.

Talk to me about its utility in hurricane preparedness

Stream news or the radio, over LTE using the iPad instead of our cell phones for as long as the ability to do so lasts. The last hurricane I was in we had cell service for a long time.

• 5 weeks later...

I was an android user both phone and pad until I purchased hearing aids that would blue tooth to apple but not android.

I now have an iphone and ipad.  They work great and there are nice features but I hate itunes and miss how easy it was to move files in android.

If I had a choice I would choose android but now I probably will not go back  I have been assimilated (resistance is futile). 

On 9/12/2017 at 10:00 AM, dudel said:

Microsoft Surface for me.  Got tired of all the limitations of the iPad.  My Surface is a full blown PC with a completer development environment on it.  Footprint is very similar to an iPad; but the power is magnitudes greater.

Having used both, I would much much much rather have the iPad Pro than a surface(and I have a Surface Pro 3.)

• 9 months later...

I'm using my iPad Mini 2 as I write this and it's just so convenient to use, versus firing up my desktop. Bigger display than my phone, but not nearly as big as a laptop.

I have considered upgrading, but here's the problem: The Pro is a bit too big for my personal tastes, but it costs less than my Mini 2 did. The iPad Mini 4 is the exact same size as my Mini 2, but Apple still wants more than $400 for the thing. :shakefist:

For now, I'll stick with my Mini 2...

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t even have a real computer anymore. I have an iPad with a USB keyboard. 

I can use google docs for any word processing I need, and the only other things I do are browse and email. The iPad works fine for that ad long as I have a real keyboard. 

I like the iPad better than my wife’s kindle and my mom’s Samsung. 

If I couldn’t have an iPad I’d get a Chrome Book, but I prefer the iPad with a keyboard mainly because it performs almost identically to my phone. 

On 8/9/2017 at 10:34 AM, CharlieFoxtrot said:

I am incident commander for a refuge of last resort.  My iPad communicates seamlessly with city systems and civilian news sources, and what I do on it immediately appears on my iPhone and Macbook Air.

What else would you like to know?

• 4 weeks later...