Camping set up?

holyjohnson

My unsolicited advice for those looking to buy a travel trailer or a 5th wheel, is to find the message boards for what you are interested in and spend some time reading and asking questions.  There is also a truism......get enough truck (for present and future).  I have a Dodge 3500 that I bought new in 2010 to pull a 30' TT.  I have since bought a 33' fiver, and by the numbers of the truck's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) I am a few hundred pounds over.  All axle weights (5ver and truck) are a few hundred lbs. under on each, but overall, it is over.  Since I have less than 18,000 miles on the Dodge, I am not buying another.

Edited by Keith Swalley
sp
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, 40 Glock said:

I spend close to 8 weeks a year in this set up.  Each year it just gets nicer/bigger and better equipped.

IMAG1465_1.jpg

My brother is going on an epic Mule Deer hunt in Eastern Montana in November and bought a round canvas wall tent and a really nice wood stove for it that will fit 16" logs.  I spent a lot of nights in 50yr old Army oiled canvas tents when in the military.  Helped set a few up and couldn't believe how heavy they are.  That smell is forever impregnated in my brain.

• Haha 1

My wife and I just bought a Rockwood (Forest River) A-Frame, so we'll see how it goes. 

This will get us through this summer, and maybe part of next, but I see us upsizing pretty quickly.

20180708_135543.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went out again the other day and only had to drive 27 miles to find a spot next to a crystal clear little stream where only three vehicles went by in two days; and they were hound hunters chasing a bear.

Great little spot but the hornets and yellow jackets were epic.  No mosquitos though.  I think the other larger predator bugs must kill them.  Didn't see a single mosquito.

OFffz1kl4pdcJ66E1y_msVmq4icsG9MBZOyZ6n_9JY0pX92IB.jpg.1b089bc92a701a02f6f4550c3fdc0224.jpg

bWpJMoBDLU0_nKJimWT0eXQjX6O8o776N82_N7PZH-0pX92IB.jpg.8b3ece6308e5c8b7701395d33eaad905.jpg

kH9DL1d48L8L4F5XPaF4STZgCH8RR8KoRG4u5oVX0qUpX92IB.jpg.6b11860c789bca0c20b573ed47141b1f.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, geofri said:

Sweet! Where is this?

I think I just bought that kayak... is it a malibu xfactor?

The kayak camp is on the Blanco river in central TX about 200 feet from the first drop into the narrows.

The motorcycle set up was in Idaho just outside Mountian Home.

Edited by Old Buzzard
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 10:26 AM, Old Buzzard said:

I have done the Devils River a few times, but before they made the roadside at 163 a natural area and you have to get a permit I haven't been back. 

The Pecos will be my next big trip that direction. Here are a couple of pics from the devils.

3.jpg.3d687212f9c02daab9223f86c9b9e02a.jpg50.jpg.12e236abf4d1b5de68b63eec3cf31e9e.jpg37.jpg.f0a84b7a0fa5d6e4609485f6a8c91367.jpg

Man.. I was just gonna ask about devils river! I re-discovered it digging online a couple months ago aftering hearing about it when I first moved to TX.

There was a low water level advisory a couple weeks ago.. but I am hoping to setup a trip soon. 

53 minutes ago, Old Buzzard said:

The kayak camp is on the Blanco river in central TX about 200 fee from the first drop into the narrows.

I've hit several spots aroun there, and never knew about the narrows.  Austin has a lot of awesome places.  I'm in Houston; it's horrid. 

You probably know this place, which I just visited this past week. 

• Haha 1

Sorry, do not have pics but if I am car or supported bicycle camping I use a Kamp-rite tent cot deluxe. It is a 30" wide cot with a domed roof tent attached to the cot, is 11" off the ground, is screened on all four sides with zippers and nylon roll down panels. You can sit upright inside the tent, store your gear underneath, has a rainfly. I use an inflatable camp rest pad and then sleeping bag on top. My version is old, genII, I think the last extended use was probably 2009? can't really remember. I have not tried it for winter camping yet, have thought about it. It sets up in about a minute, folds up into it's carry bag of about 3'6" x 3'6"x 4" and weighs about 30lb.

www.kamprite.com

Edited by ARP

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

We tent camped and backpacked for decades.. getting older now.. but more importantly have the time now to go out for 30 days or more at a time, so.. Plus we do a lot of hiking in areas we can't take the dog, so a nice climate controlled hang out for him while we hike or kayak, is a good thing. We do still own everything for tent camping, and I get out a couple times a year if I can, she and the dog stay home, as this is usually deep in a no dogs on trails, bears and elk in the camp, below freezing at night even in July, daily kind of area.. being from Kansas, she doesn't.. appreciate that as much as I do.. LOL

20180715_081222.jpg

20190715_074834.jpg

20190724_192016.jpg

20160803_141229.jpg

We have camping gear, and the land to camp on it some clearings.  However, I had to point out to my wife that there are some small trees in that area that need to come down, unless she wanted a surprise on a windy night.  She is just excited about having acreage I suppose.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SFCSMITH(RET) said:

We tent camped and backpacked for decades.. getting older now.. but more importantly have the time now to go out for 30 days or more at a time, so.. Plus we do a lot of hiking in areas we can't take the dog, so a nice climate controlled hang out for him while we hike or kayak, is a good thing. We do still own everything for tent camping, and I get out a couple times a year if I can, she and the dog stay home, as this is usually deep in a no dogs on trails, bears and elk in the camp, below freezing at night even in July, daily kind of area.. being from Kansas, she doesn't.. appreciate that as much as I do.. LOL

20180715_081222.jpg

20190715_074834.jpg

20190724_192016.jpg

20160803_141229.jpg

We have done a similar set up in the past.  I just hated having to use their fire rings, which is always put someplace where it is a PITA to get it going.  If it stops raining, eventually I am going to make a Dakota Fire hole, invective heat, and it isn't like someone can tell me "no," like they do in State Parks.