Camping set up?

holyjohnson

Headed out for a few last days of motorcycle camping this week here in Colorado.  It requires a minimalistic approach but a tent, bedroll, pad and change of clothes gets it done.  I don't bother cooking - eat pre cooked or canned stuff out of grocery stores and an occasional restaurant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tahmail said:

Headed out for a few last days of motorcycle camping this week here in Colorado.  It requires a minimalistic approach but a tent, bedroll, pad and change of clothes gets it done.  I don't bother cooking - eat pre cooked or canned stuff out of grocery stores and an occasional restaurant.

used to do it years ago and used a G.I. style Jungle hammock,bed roll,clothes and booze in an old BSA scout pack.

now its all car stuff so i can carry comfort.

5 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

used to do it years ago and used a G.I. style Jungle hammock,bed roll,clothes and booze in an old BSA scout pack.

now its all car stuff so i can carry comfort.

Thought about trying the hammock and have some friends that use them but don't think the banana shape is for me. Toss and turn a lot at night and want a shelter for my gear since I don't want it left out at night.

16 hours ago, Tahmail said:

Thought about trying the hammock and have some friends that use them but don't think the banana shape is for me. Toss and turn a lot at night and want a shelter for my gear since I don't want it left out at night.

yeah,you have to sort of sleep in a diagonal in them,the booze helped.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tahmail said:

Probably not then. I love my hammock, but I can't sleep worth a damn in it other than a quick nap. I'm a side sleeper. Not to kid myself, I don't sleep well while camping, in general. Most noises wake me up constantly. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, stevekozak said:

I like your puppy! 

Thanks.  He's my buddy and goes all over with me.  He's got a short cut now and gets groomed often.  In that pic, he decided he was going to walk into the water where I was trying to fish.  Fishing ended then, I let him play for a bit.  Then he ran back into the tent and plopped inside.  Got stuff soggy and dirty.  Just can't get mad at him though.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2017 at 10:44 PM, holyjohnson said:

anyone who camps?

lets see you`r camping set up,tents,bags,chairs,cook wear.

i have`nt done much stalking or backpacking in years but still car camp.

we use an REI Kingdom 6 and it fits all the needs we have.

you`r up,whats your gear?

The REI Kingdome 6 will be my next tent since I car camp. My current Sierra Designs Bedouin 4 has been a fine tent, but I would like something a little larger.

Would love to be able to do the backpacking thing but my knees aren't what they used to be.

Edited by OV1kenobi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OV1kenobi said:

The REI Kingdome 6 will be my next tent since I car camp. My current Sierra Designs Bedouin 4 has been a fine tent, but I would like something a little larger.

Would love to be able to do the backpacking thing but my knees aren't what they used to be.

I just have the half dome 2+, but my wife doesn't care for the whole 'no water, no electricity, rustic idea'...and my dog doesn't get a vote.  He just goes with me :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OV1kenobi said:

it`s a big tent,and heavy.

if you camp on wet ground a lot get the foot print.

if you use it in windy places the guy-lines work well.

it is a big comfortable tent.

On 9/12/2017 at 9:58 AM, r3dot said:

Any tent recommendations under $200? Been checking eBay for a deal but no luck yet. Big Agnes, nemo, etc. May just go with an REI dome  2p but they're a bit heavy. 

one of our friends has the REI passage 2 and its like 4-5 pounds and pretty nice for a 2 person tent.

it is small though,like no choice snuggle small.

and he has to keep his pack out in the vestibule.

it really depends on what you`r doing hiking,backpacking,car camping by yourself or with someone.

REI stores are really good at helping you see the tents and even a return if its not what you`r looking for.