New variation of the Heckle & Chuckle VP9

Borg warner

This may be old news but it's news to me, HK is offering a version of the gun with a push button mag release instead of the paddle. It's the VP9b. The 'B' stands for "Button".

I wish HK would bring back the squeeze cocker P7, possibly even with a polymer frame to cut costs and reduce the weight.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/02/hk-vp9b-pistol/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2018-11-03&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Some folks like the paddle release and some like the button release so they are trying to satisfy their customers.

That's a good point and it's nice to see a company doing that. I'd prefer the button to the paddle but I'm not Left handed and I'm not so sure the button can be reversed, while I'm pretty sure the paddle is ambi. I've shot HK's with the paddle and they aren't bad but I'd still rather  have a button.

Edited by Borg warner

3 hours ago, Historian said:

My employer paid for some and I the rest. I had a training class where we shot about 6000 in six days. 

At the time I was averaging about 4000 rounds a year on my own.

You cant break an hk.

Maybe not, but I'd sure like to try!  (Trying = wearing one out, not abusing it.)

28 minutes ago, Spats McGee said:

Maybe not, but I'd sure like to try!  (Trying = wearing one out, not abusing it.)

I beat a few targets with mine when i ran out ammo. 

In all seriousness, they can break like anything else, but it's a little harder than most.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, Spats McGee said:

Yeah.  I think they get a little over shadowed in the market with a bunch of good choices.   Modern pistols are so well made it's hard to not get something that will work reasonably well unless you buy bottom of the barrel.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The HK owners seem to be spread over three groups: first, the P7 crowd, who will accept nothing but the P7 and regard everything else HK as lesser grade; second, the USP bunch, who regard everything after the P7 and USP as inferior; and finally, the newer HK model owners, who have the P30 and VP9 models, who like the newer stuff and don't see why anyone thinks the quality has declined. I have a VP9sk, and consider it to be an exceptionally well-made factory produced gun. Tack-driver, great ergos... yes, it costs less than a USP-9c, but the USP models were made and marketed to the military and law enforcement market. And it could be that, over time, that HK figured out how to lower production costs without sacrificing quality. 

I might get a USP-9c some day... but I'm definitely keeping that VP9sk.

3 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

The HK owners seem to be spread over three groups: first, the P7 crowd, who will accept nothing but the P7 and regard everything else HK as lesser grade; second, the USP bunch, who regard everything after the P7 and USP as inferior; and finally, the newer HK model owners, who have the P30 and VP9 models, who like the newer stuff and don't see why anyone thinks the quality has declined. I have a VP9sk, and consider it to be an exceptionally well-made factory produced gun. Tack-driver, great ergos... yes, it costs less than a USP-9c, but the USP models were made and marketed to the military and law enforcement market. And it could be that, over time, that HK figured out how to lower production costs without sacrificing quality. 

I might get a USP-9c some day... but I'm definitely keeping that VP9sk.

The newer group of HK model owners has never handled the P7 series is the only possible explanation for that type of thinking.  I'm sure they're still making good pistols, but the P7s are just incredible pieces of machinery. 

Oh, and we don't just consider everything else HK as second grade, we pretty much consider everything else by everyone second grade in comparison.

I am a fan of the older HK's.  I own two.  Both stainless slides.  I keep them cocked and locked in a holster.  One .45 ACP Compact and one .40 USP.   For HK pistols I like stainless with external hammers.  Most of the 9's I see are all striker fired.

Edited by Moshe

• 2 weeks later...

There's no easy way to make a polymer P7. The gas port cylinder and piston get very hot during firing and would deform/melt the polymer in short order. I have a P7/PSP and after one magazine through the pistol in the Arizona summer, it is too hot to hold in the ready position. Later versions [P7M8 and P7M13] had a polymer heat shield on the frame, but it still wasn't designed for people who enjoyed mag dumps.  

I wish they'd bring back the old P9S. It was a great pistol that worked well with a suppressor.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:50 PM, Borg warner said:

This may be old news but it's news to me, HK is offering a version of the gun with a push button mag release instead of the paddle. It's the VP9b. The 'B' stands for "Button".

I wish HK would bring back the squeeze cocker P7, possibly even with a polymer frame to cut costs and reduce the weight.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/02/hk-vp9b-pistol/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2018-11-03&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

A plastic framed P7 would be an unholy blasphemy.

It would also probably melt. 

I’d be happy if they just made parts again.

1 hour ago, Maxmanta said:

A plastic framed P7 would be an unholy blasphemy.

It would also probably melt. 

I’d be happy if they just made parts again.

What I liked best about the P7 was number one, it's squeeze-cocker carry mode. and number two, it's compact size. Every other HK made since has been thicker and chunkier. 

I'd like to see them make a similar size squeeze cocker 9mm but it wouldn't have to have the same gas port piston mode of operation. And I'd still like to see them start manufacturing the original P7 again.

But I'd also like to see some other manufacturers start making Squeeze-cocker SA pistols the same compact size as the original P7.