Steyr M95

DrB

The hole in the bottom of the magazine well is for the ejection of the en-bloc clip. I bought one of these rifles in 1967.  I had a hard tim egetting ammo and clips for it so I eventually sold it. It was pretty beat up and I only paid about $60 bucks for it, sold it for $50. About 3 years ago I found one in mint condition with bayonet for about $150. The clips are still somewhat hard to find but can be re-used and PPU make ammo for it.  it shoots an oddball .333 diameter cartridge though there were some Greek models that were chambered for 8mm Mauser and I think those had different magazines an did not use the clips.

The straight-pull action is very fast to operate. PPU makes ammo for it (8x56R)  with both softpoint and FMJ projectiles weighing 208 grains. Ballistics are similar to the 338 Federal and with the Soft point ammo would make one of these guns into a nice brush gun deer, bear, and hogs for anyone who knows how to use iron sights. 

95steyr.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

The hole in the bottom of the magazine well is for the ejection of the en-bloc clip. I bought one of these rifles in 1967.  I had a hard tim egetting ammo and clips for it so I eventually sold it. It was pretty beat up and I only paid about $60 bucks for it, sold it for $50. About 3 years ago I found one in mint condition with bayonet for about $150. The clips are still somewhat hard to find but can be re-used and PPU make ammo for it.  it shoots an oddball .333 diameter cartridge though there were some Greek models that were chambered for 8mm Mauser and I think those had different magazines an did not use the clips.

The straight-pull action is very fast to operate. PPU makes ammo for it (8x56R)  with both softpoint and FMJ projectiles weighing 208 grains. Ballistics are similar to the 338 Federal and with the Soft point ammo would make one of these guns into a nice brush gun deer, bear, and hogs for anyone who knows how to use iron sights. 

95steyr.jpg

Thanks again.  I will look for some clips.  Now the well in the bottom makes sense..  I'm guessing with the oddball diameter bullet reloading is probably not going to happen easily.  Don't remember why I bought it, guess was when I got my 03FFL, the fever started..

Dave..

19 minutes ago, DrB said:

Thanks again.  I will look for some clips.  Now the well in the bottom makes sense..  I'm guessing with the oddball diameter bullet reloading is probably not going to happen easily.  Don't remember why I bought it, guess was when I got my 03FFL, the fever started..

Dave..

PPU sells the bullets separately through Graf's which also has the dies, so it can be reloaded. It looks like they're currently out of stock so you will  need to contact them. (573) 581-2266

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/12618

5 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

PPU sells the bullets separately through Graf's which also has the dies, so it can be reloaded. It looks like they're currently out of stock so you will  need to contact them. (573) 581-2266

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/12618

Thanks...  I'll give it a look...

Found a original .303 Jungle Carbine I bought in the early 80's lurking in the back... No import marks... I remember shooting it with some of the old WW2 British cordite ammo.  Pull the trigger wait at least 3 seconds before it lit off.. I'm having fun here digging through stuff...

Dave..