Ishapore Lee Enfield

DrB

Looking through things for my WW1 rifles I found this.  Were these converted from 303 or made in India?  What do you know about them.  Think I paid less than $200 back when.  Been sitting since in the cosmoline.   I'm on a treasure hunt deep in the safe..

Ishapore_308.jpg

As I understand it they were made in India specifically for 7.62 NATO.   I guess they also used surplus Enfield stocks, some of which required repair, so that may account for the belief that they are conversions.  The NATO is a higher pressure cartridge than the .303 and the bores of a .303 are .311 like an AK or Mosin.  

2 hours ago, DrB said:

Looking through things for my WW1 rifles I found this.  Were these converted from 303 or made in India?  What do you know about them.  Think I paid less than $200 back when.  Been sitting since in the cosmoline.   I'm on a treasure hunt deep in the safe..

Ishapore_308.jpg

Made in India at the Ishapore arsenal from 1963 to 1975 I've always wanted one of these but I've heard from a people of people who owned one that they weren't very accurate. The Ishapore 2A and 2A1 rifles are often incorrectly described as ".308 conversions." But in fact, the 2A/2A1 rifles are not conversions of .303 caliber SMLE Mk III* rifles: they were designed and built right from the outset to fire7.62 NATO ammunition The 303 chambered guns have a slanted magazine to accommodate the rimmed 303 cartridge. the Ishapores have a square magazine for the rimless 308.

8 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Made in India at the Ishapore arsenal from 1963 to 1975 I've always wanted one of these but I've heard from a people of people who owned one that they weren't very accurate. The Ishapore 2A and 2A1 rifles are often incorrectly described as ".308 conversions." But in fact, the 2A/2A1 rifles are not conversions of .303 caliber SMLE Mk III* rifles: they were designed and built right from the outset to fire7.62 NATO ammunition The 303 chambered guns have a slanted magazine to accommodate the rimmed 303 cartridge. the Ishapores have a square magazine for the rimless 308.

Thanks for the info.  Mine is stamped 2ABA on the import stamp.  Any idea what that means?  Thanks....  Dave