elsolo

Who does the cooking?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who does the cooking?

• You
    • Your partner
    • Equally shared

49 minutes ago, XSIV4S said:

I love to cook and don't know how I missed working in that field??? 

I do, too, and do all of it at my house.   I think that cooking for a living would eventually ruin that love.

Edited by OGW
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, OGW said:

I do, too, and do all of it at my house.   I think that cooking for a living would eventually ruin that love.

You're probably correct. Right now if someone complains about my cooking I can threaten them with a skillet.

I do most of cooking. Last night was pan seared scallops in a white wine sauce on a rice pilaf with zucchini.  I did a lot of cooking with the kids when they were growing up and often their friends stayed overnight and we'd cook a big meal with all of them helping and a breakfast the next morning. Their friends enjoyed it for the most part. Both of my sons can cook quite well and one is a chef and now teaches me.

Edited by Taco Junkie
I was slightly inebriated when i typed this
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KBKEITH said:

Totally agree. Cooking as a professional would perhaps take the love out of it. 

My son is a professional and still loves to cook for people. It's been a way of showing love in our family going back generations. Maybe that will change in time. I hope not.

• Like 1

My wife of 39 1/2 years is a fantastic cook and loves to cook, she does dinner, most lunches and the occasional breakfast/brunch.. I am a better breakfast cook than she is but she is a more creative cook than I am.

Regardless of who cooks, I clean.

When I married her I was a 185 pound lean, mean fighting machine..... now I'm a 225 pound tired old fat guy.

• Like 1

On September 2, 2017 at 7:57 PM, elsolo said:

She gets home from work 1-2 hours before I do, she cooks enough just for herself. Last night I asked what she made, and where is the rest of it.  I get told that I wouldn't like it, so none for me.

Something about this makes me sad. 

• Like 2

Wife and I made a deal when we got married 28 years ago.  I cook, she does the yard work.  I like to cook and hate yard work; she likes yard work and hates to cook.  It's worked out for these many years.

She is allowed to find recipes and leave them on the counter.   I'll also pass her a list of recipes, and ask her to pick from the list.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 7:57 PM, elsolo said:

She gets home from work 1-2 hours before I do, she cooks enough just for herself. Last night I asked what she made, and where is the rest of it.  I get told that I wouldn't like it, so none for me.

Wow.  Sounds like a little passive aggressive going on there.  Were you not complimentary enough on her last effort?  Not that much more effort to make two servings than one.

Wife does the cooking, I'm the one that puts food on the table.

We're both traditionalists. That's how the family still works in Eastern Europe - a region of the world where the pink pussyhat didn't get any traction as a political and fashion accessory and divorces are still rare.

Not to mention like all Romanian women she's a great cook so more reason not to interfere with her natural God-given talent.

Edited to add: I grill, I butcher the meat and I clean the fish when I come back from fishing trips. Does that count as cooking?

Edited by Burebista

My wife is a wonderful cook, sadly she has become disabled due to severe lupus. I picked up the ball on cooking, and do fairly well at it.  She is a very picky eater, though, which limits my experimental recipes that I know she would not eat.  She says I'm a good cook, most of the time. 

On 9/12/2017 at 5:43 AM, dudel said:

Wow.  Sounds like a little passive aggressive going on there.  Were you not complimentary enough on her last effort?  Not that much more effort to make two servings than one.

I dunno, last time she cooked something for both of us to eat was six years ago, I can't recall what it was or what might have been said.

It's been like this so long, it was normal, so I finally wondered if it was common for one partner to never prepare meals.

Perhaps it is, but apparently not usually out of spite.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/2/2017 at 10:22 PM, Bruce said:

I do whatever is done here with the Foreman and microwave.   At least five states and Guam prohibit me from touching a stove.  I  think Guam piggybacked on one of the state court orders because I do not recall even being there, let alone making the 911 call.

I really like the George Foreman grille, although I don't use it much. My brother has one and he uses it a bunch. All I ever use mine for is making Belgian Waffles, but my brother makes some pretty good stuff on his.

For me, the microwave oven does most of the heavy lifting. There are a few things I'll cook occasionally, but for the most part, I just do frozen food.

• Like 1