Local cop did a very dumb thing.

PNWguy

17 hours ago, billkill said:

Do you actually believe an 18 year old girl, would try to initiate sex with a cop ...

Regardless of what this particular gal did or did not do, absolutely yes.

I wasn't a week out of field training, riding solo before I had my first offer.  It's amazing what a cute young coed will offer and literally plead for when you are writing her a ticket for causing an accident and that ticket will put her over the edge for driving offenses so that she will lose her license.  Avoiding legal punishment can be a strong motivator.

While I felt terrible for her, I wrote the ticket because I had gotten the impression from my FTOs that I had to due to departmental policy. My insistence led to her increasingly inappropriate offers. Telling the story later that day, I learned it was my discretion and I didn't have to issue that citation. Sorry, lady.

After that, other than for fatalities, injury wrecks, or extremely boneheaded actions, I never wrote another ticket to the at fault driver of an accident.  Accidents are instant karma (lost time, car repair expenses, insurance increases, and countless hassles). Writing a ticket is just insult to injury.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have to call BULL**** on this. I got worked over by 6 County cops in an elevator. The only place there were no cameras. I lodged a complaint with the Sheriff and was basically laughed out of the place. I asked for a State Trooper investigation. Laughter. I had photos of the damage done to me and the testimony of a nurse I saw while in county custody. Yeah. Not a ****ing thing happened. 

Sorry to hear about that experience. 

I think you have to append an unspoken "When the department desires or is forced by circumstances to conduct an investigation..." to the front of that other statement. Then it is generally true.

Even for car accidents in most agencies. When I damaged my county P.D. cruiser, the State Patrol was called to write the report, etc. (And, no, I didn't get a citation even though I was at fault).

If the offenses against you had been caught on video or had a first hand credible witness, those Troopers would have followed through.  In defense of the troopers (not the offenders), LOTS of false reports are made against officers and so without conclusive evidence, they will lean toward being skeptical.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:14 AM, M&P15T said:

We're taking her word that he "instructed" her to do anything. For all we know, she initiated everything.

She's a damn adult, whether she's been drinking or not. It's her responsibility to control herself. This PC crap about him being a cop and her being a helpless waif that isn't responsible for anything she does is ridiculous.

And if I had an 18 year old daughter, I'd know damn well that she was a horny-as-hell female, in heat, and she just does a damn good job of hiding it from her parents. I'd expect that away from restraints, she's going to be as interested in males as they are in her. It's totally natural, and part of being that age.

Seriously, does anyone remember being a kid? We were all horny as billy goats. The girls were in heat and pawing at every crotch they could get their hands on, us guys were combing the streets and alleyways looking for them, it's was a mutual season of lust.

In case any of you old fools have forgotten what it's like to be young.

I haven't forgotten what it is like to be young. And when I was young I knew the difference between right and wrong. I knew it was wrong to take advantage of a drunk woman. I also didn't need to get women drunk to get laid. I pity you that is what you had to resort to. In many places that is considered rape, I guess one of those places is not your mind.

I hope you don't have a daughter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

I wasn't a week out of field training, riding solo before I had my first offer.  It's amazing what a cute young coed will offer and literally plead for when you are writing her a ticket for causing an accident and that ticket will put her over the edge for driving offenses so that she will lose her license.  Avoiding legal punishment can be a strong motivator...…..

Was she intoxicated? Did you know that taking her up on the offer was wrong? Did that weigh in your decision? How did you ever stop yourself from thinking with your little head? Were you a sixty year old rookie?

10 hours ago, Maccabeus said:

I wasn't a week out of field training, riding solo before I had my first offer.  It's amazing what a cute young coed will offer and literally plead for when you are writing her a ticket for causing an accident and that ticket will put her over the edge for driving offenses so that she will lose her license.  Avoiding legal punishment can be a strong motivator.

While I felt terrible for her, I wrote the ticket because I had gotten the impression from my FTOs that I had to due to departmental policy. My insistence led to her increasingly inappropriate offers. Telling the story later that day, I learned it was my discretion and I didn't have to issue that citation. Sorry, lady.

After that, other than for fatalities, injury wrecks, or extremely boneheaded actions, I never wrote another ticket to the at fault driver of an accident.  Accidents are instant karma (lost time, car repair expenses, insurance increases, and countless hassles). Writing a ticket is just insult to injury.

What little training I got on the matter indicated that the best thing to do was give the pretty ones a ticket.  That way later on they couldn't really say you took them up on any offers or made any lewd suggestions for ways they could avoid a ticket.

1 hour ago, racerford said:

Was she intoxicated? Did you know that taking her up on the offer was wrong? Did that weigh in your decision? How did you ever stop yourself from thinking with your little head? Were you a sixty year old rookie?

?   ?   ?   ?

1 hour ago, Silentpoet said:

What little training I got on the matter indicated that the best thing to do was give the pretty ones a ticket.  That way later on they couldn't really say you took them up on any offers or made any lewd suggestions for ways they could avoid a ticket.

No doubt. With her behavior the way it was, I'm glad I wrote the ticket and left a paper trail of official/proper conduct.

1 hour ago, Maccabeus said:

?   ?   ?   ?

We had another poster that seems to think what happened was OK, that the woman asked for it and got it. That it was OK to take advantage of intoxicated 18 year old women when you are wearing a badge and a gun. And also old guys have forgotten what it was like to be young. I thought maybe you were 60 at the time, So must not be interested in sex.

You seem to have avoided all those things. I am just wondering how you did that. What motivated you to not use your position of power to get sex? It is not a dig at you. I would say it is a compliment, as you clearly have good decision making skills.

10 minutes ago, racerford said:

... It is not a dig at you. I would say it is a compliment...

Well, thanks for that. 

I'm still not sure if you're really waiting for an answer from me as opposed to making a more rhetorical point.

But, since I'm typing, my own story includes an innate concern over right and wrong, good parents who were both loving and strict, a dash of happenstance, a Word of God directed conscience, and a lot of Divine grace for which I am very thankful. 

I see the jobs we all have as our opportunities to thank & honor God by doing right by those we encounter in life. Being the best worker/parent/child/neighbor/citizen/etc. one can be is fulfilling the purpose of life in this world. Along with sharing the hope that is found in knowing Christ, it is what brings meaning and satisfaction to our lives.

And, if grace doesn't motivate someone, then do what's right anyway, because God says so and sooner or later we're all answering to Him.

But, I try to do what's right because I get to, not just because I have to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

Well, thanks for that. 

I'm still not sure if you're really waiting for an answer from me as opposed to making a more rhetorical point.

But, since I'm typing, my own story includes an innate concern over right and wrong, good parents who were both loving and strict, a dash of happenstance, a Word of God directed conscience, and a lot of Divine grace for which I am very thankful. 

I see the jobs we all have as our opportunities to thank & honor God by doing right by those we encounter in life. Being the best worker/parent/child/neighbor/citizen/etc. one can be is fulfilling the purpose of life in this world. Along with sharing the hope that is found in knowing Christ, it is what brings meaning and satisfaction to our lives.

And, if grace doesn't motivate someone, then do what's right anyway, because God says so and sooner or later we're all answering to Him.

But, I try to do what's right because I get to, not just because I have to.

I appreciate the answer. I really was interested. I suspected as much. Some people don't think that way. One measure of character, is what you would do if nobody would find out or if there were no negative consequences.

It was also partly to make a point to others.

Thank you again.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:32 AM, Maccabeus said:

Sorry to hear about that experience. 

I think you have to append an unspoken "When the department desires or is forced by circumstances to conduct an investigation..." to the front of that other statement. Then it is generally true.

Even for car accidents in most agencies. When I damaged my county P.D. cruiser, the State Patrol was called to write the report, etc. (And, no, I didn't get a citation even though I was at fault).

If the offenses against you had been caught on video or had a first hand credible witness, those Troopers would have followed through.  In defense of the troopers (not the offenders), LOTS of false reports are made against officers and so without conclusive evidence, they will lean toward being skeptical.

This particular county sheriff dept. had a reputation for doing exactly what they did to me. Always in the elevator where there were no cameras. This happened a lot of years ago.