Women of WWII

pipedreams

27 minutes ago, MrKandiyohi said:

I've never seen the US helmet with a hinged visor - especially one with a knight's visor emblem.

Was it to allow the person to wear a cap underneath the helmet or was it for a specific unit?

ww2.jpg.dd149c7b08a9c6785523dd7d1b8727e3[1].jpg

As a war correspondent she was likely a civilian and had that custom made. Just a guess. There were military war correspondents as well.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Historian said:

As a war correspondent she was likely a civilian and had that custom made. Just a guess. There were military war correspondents as well.

That caught my eye too, don't think it can come down over the face.  She also has a button problem with her left shoulder tab.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BMyers said:

Found it on a website:

Unknown photographer, “Lee Miller in steel helmet specially designed for using a camera, Normandy, France 1944” (© The Penrose Collection, England 2015)

https://hyperallergic.com/290282/lee-millers-photographs-frame-the-women-of-world-war-ii/

Didn't think about that but if it flips up she could get the camera up to her eye to focus.

• Like 1

I keep looking at the photos and think I need the book. She had quite a vision with her camera. 

Not enough is written about women in the war. I have close to 500 books on the topic and yet have only a few by women. One belongs to my wife and is about women in nursing and as doctors in the war.

One of the more interesting passages occurs after the war when a nurse tried to join the vfw. The said no. Until they saw she earned a Purple Heart. Then there was no argument.

Honestly, I figure I have 30 years before I become history and i will never run out of interesting things to read about this time period.

• Like 2

Miller had a interesting life with many turns and pit falls.  The link has a lot about her life.

"By 1943 Miller had become an accredited war correspondent for Vogue, and the following year she teamed up with Life photojournalist David E. Scherman. Together they followed the 83rd Infantry Division of the U.S. Army as it advanced on the front lines. Miller became the first female photojournalist to do so. She photographed the Liberation of Paris, the battle of Saint-Malo, field hospitals in Normandy, and the liberation of both the Dachau and Buchenwald concentration camps. Her photographs, some of the first photographic evidence of the Holocaust, were a horrifying glimpse of the atrocities committed by the Nazis in the camps. From Dachau she and Scherman went to Hitler’s private apartment in Munich. She had Scherman photograph her washing herself in Hitler’s bathtub, her muddy boots on the bathmat. In 1945 Miller traveled throughout eastern Europe to see and photograph the devastating aftermath of the war."

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Lee-Miller

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:16 AM, M&P15T said:

While we're on the topic, I just finished watching "Doodlebug Summer", on Amazon Prime. It discusses that women maned AAA pieces on the British coast, but kept it secret. It's a good series, check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07DQ3BR39

My uncles B17 was shot up badly by flak on a mission over Maribor Yu, late in the war. They claimed the AA guns were manned by German women. The guns were way up in the mountains and so closer to the planes. They made 3 passes over the target before they were able to drop their bombs. The AA was particularly deadly by that 3rd pass.

• Sad 1