Any reloading 45acp tips?

james bay area

Hi.

I have been reloading 38 special with the lee loader, and 1000+ rounds later I still like reloading.. lol, I am going to upgrade to some sort of press. probably just a single stage..

I want to start reloading 45acp.

Besides the MANY normal safety precautions and such, is there anything different about this round that one should be aware of when reloading? I would imagine NOT, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance for any input..

44 minutes ago, james bay area said:

Hi.

I have been reloading 38 special with the lee loader, and 1000+ rounds later I still like reloading.. lol, I am going to upgrade to some sort of press. probably just a single stage..

Besides the MANY normal safety precautions and such, is there anything different about this round that one should be aware of when reloading? I would imagine NOT, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

One of the "easiest" to reload:

1. It's been around forever, so there's plenty of components to choose from.
  2. Relative low pressure. If something goes wrong, you'll lose a finger or two, not the hand :)
  3. Fat and short! Easier to spot a double charge.
  4. Plenty of powders (1). You can use the - originally intended - fast burning powders, e.g., Bullseye, Win231, IMR-700X, etc. Or, for a little more BOOM, use the slower ones, e.g., AA#5, Ramshot TrueBlue, BE-86, Power Pistol, Unique.

In my rather limited experience, this is the most enjoyable round to reload.

Good luck!

Edited by Glocks4Freedom

1 hour ago, james bay area said:

Hi.

From your questions ... it appears you do not have a reloading manual.  You should buy 2 reloading manuals and read them.  

Do you have calipers and other equipment?

Edited by AerynSun2
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reloading the .45 ACP since the late 1970's and it is by far my favorite handgun cartridge both in semi autos and revolvers.

The only thing I might add to what is already been mentioned is depending on what you're shooting them out of, you may have to tweak your bullet seating depth. For years I shot a Colt Mk IV Series 70 then SIG and Ruger autos. When I bought my Ruger SR 1911 I fitted it with an Ed Brown match barrel and found my usual bullet seating depth was causing out-of-battery misfires. After adjusting bullet seating depth to reduce the bore diameter portion of the bullet exposed past the case mouth all was good. 

The .45 ACP is also great to shoot in revolvers.

HDX2goh39l-yLrejVIBpLAPM3d4KcKgw6s0JIMnB

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, AerynSun2 said:

From your questions ... it appears you do not have a reloading manual.  You should buy 2 reloading manuals and read them.  

Do you have calipers and other equipment?

On 10/24/2018 at 2:24 PM, james bay area said:

yes, i have digital caliper, a good scale, and i use the alliant manual and cross reference it to the lyman manual...

thanks for the replies..

The crimp... I think this is the only difference i found between the revolver and auto cartridges...

I appears to me that there is a little misunderstanding here.

By "buy two manuals and read them". I believe he meant the "How To" section at the beginning of each Loading Manual, not a "data" manual or the data section of a Loading Manual.

What Lyman manual do you have?

Tip number (1),

Never load a bunch of ammo (more than a couple), without making sure they fit-feed-function-fire first.

Nothing worse than loading a schit ton of ammo only to find out at the range that it doesn't fit or fire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.