Ever buy a custom firearm?

fortyofforty

Ever buy a truly custom firearm?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever purchased a custom firearm?

• Yes
    • No

Nope.

All my purchases have either been used (2 pistols) or new with only minor modifications done by me.  

I'm too hung up on being able to use them and abuse them, and then replace them with something identical to have someone else do the work to them.  That and tinkering with them (what small amount that I do, I'm cheap) is part of the fun of ownership.

Yes. And it makes it damn near impossible to go back to buying off the shelf firearms. 

450/400 NE double 

458 Lott CZ602

458 Win Mauser commercial 

404 Jeffery based on 1909 Argentinian Mauser

9.3x62 built on a CZ 550

338 Win built on a VZ-24 

30-06 built on a 1903

7x57 built on a 1909 Argentinian

Have an 8 bore double rifle, another 1903(thinking 270 win or 7x57) and another Mauser 98 action in the works. 

Edit

also have a 5 shot 475 Linebaugh revolver being built. Technically it’s not a complete custom being built on the Redhawk frame, but it’s getting a new barrel, new cylinder, new grip, and worked internals. 

Edited by AK_Stick
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jame said:

I bought a Volquartzen Custom Ruger .22 pistol way back in the late 80's or early 90's, and foolishly traded it in 1993.

How do I remember it was 1993?

A guy tends to remember major **** ups like that.

The sad thing is that, when you've bought and sold a precious firearm such as that, if you wanted to replace it the cost would be prohibitive.  Back then it might have seemed to cost a fortune, but today the prices are through the roof.

16 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

The sad thing is that, when you've bought and sold a precious firearm such as that, if you wanted to replace it the cost would be prohibitive.  Back then it might have seemed to cost a fortune, but today the prices are through the roof.

I remember that I bought a Ruger Redhawk with the post sale funds.  Seriously.  

Could you imagine buying a Volquartzen Custom anything for the price of a new Redhawk today?  

Yeah........me either.  

Like I said, it's pretty easy to remember.

25BC114D-4DAD-4069-8C17-5125E6ADB3BA.thumb.jpeg.9adee4c63f6e79e1bc47d2b5e08b3530.jpegI have bought one custom firearm - a Colt series 70 National Match from the Colt Custom Shop. It was hand-fitted be a single gunsmith named James. Royal blue finish, Novak gold dot front sight and a super crisp 3 lb trigger. The grips are custom desert ironwood.

Edited by BillKilgore
  • Like 3

I buy "base" models and then put what I want in.  I have always said Glocks are perfect pistols after you buy one and put another 300-400 bucks into it.  I don't need to pay someone to put parts in my pistol or build my rifle from stripped parts.  I have found YouTube and AGI to be my friends

I have two, both were gifts.

a Pistol Dynamics XO, 4 inch, fluted barrel, bobtail, active recoil plug, gold bead front sight, custom serial number 

ECF39248-A39F-43D7-96AE-C8FA10C6A67E.jpeg.4b7eab4d2a4b3035c641fcf5e36454b4.jpeg

the other is a Freedom Arms Model 97, 4 inch, 357 mag, name is engraved on the back strap.

E5E992C6-C8A7-4C60-9555-D480B9DFFBE4.jpeg.fbfc63366515bf352c36e618e8c7bd96.jpeg

Engraved S&W Classic Model 29 that I got for free, long story 

I have a few that have been customized pretty heavily. When I get home, I’ll post some pics

(the wife says I can’t leave anything alone)

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I love some of the custom lever guns by Wild West and Grizzly, but I suspect they are poor investments.  I doubt that you would ever be able to recoup the $2500-$3500 that they cost if you wanted to re-sell the gun.  But they look awesome!!!

• 1 month later...