Arkansas Now Permitless Carry

Gary Slider

Arkansas - On October 17, 2018 the Arkansas Appeals Court stated in case No. CR-18-353 Jamie Taff  v. State of Arkansas:   (“n general merely possessing a handgun on your person . . . does not violate § 5-73-120(a) and may be done if it does not violate other laws or regulations.”). Under the clear language of section 5-73-120(a), the possessor of a handgun must have an unlawful intent to employ it as a weapon against a person in order to make that possession a criminal act.                                                      

5-73-120 was amended and passed as above in 2013. There has been uncertainty with people in authority (AG’s, Governors, Mayors, Police Chiefs etc.) saying the law didn’t and some stating it did allowed Permitless Carry. The above court case has finally settled that argument. Permitless Concealed and Open Carry is now legal for those who can legally possess a firearm!  You can read the Courts decision at http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/ARPermitlessCarryTaffvState.pdf

Spats McGee has also posted about this issue and you can read his post at http://theboresite.com/forums/topic/6413-arkansas-taff-v-state/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Do they require a Concealed Carry Permit of some sort to carry or no?

I don't think so, but I'll be keeping my CHCL current.  Like Gary Slider said, there was a lot of confusion over whether concealed carry without a permit was allowed, and I think that's been put to bed.

• Like 1