Trains

Eric

The photo above is the Baird Creek Trestle in Wa. state. It was still standing when I was a kid and hunting there. I have walked over it many times. Other trestles in the area I was lucky enough to drive over before they were taken down. The Baird Creek Trestle would make your butt pucker. 1300 feet long and nearly 250 high. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, tous said:

I am old enough to have taken a trip by train with my parents and pesky sister.

It was the late 1950s, the end of the passenger train golden age, but I still remember it well.

I remember also.  I was very young and we (my three sisters and I, along with my parents) took the Zephyr from Minnesota to Illinois to visit my father's family, must have been around the end of the 40's.  The train at speed would be near water, and looking like it was headed into the water, then suddenly it would turn right or left.  scary to little kids.

A few years ago my wife took her first and last train ride on the Zephyr when it was in Stillwater as a "dining and ride" exhibit as an anniversary gift from my kids..

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Walt Longmire said:

1748.1128686400.jpg

I love this train. When I was a kid, it used to stop along the way to let fishermen out with their fly rods and fishing creels.  On the way back from Silverton, the fishermen would flag down the train and get back on with their catch.  Gorgeous country.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1