Trains

Eric

1wczephyr0422.jpgWife had never set foot on a train,  So, on one of our Anniversaries we had dinner and a train ride on the Minnesota Zephyr.  She was thrilled.  She had lived near the RR tracks growing up and loved the sound of the whistle and the trains at night.  I had described my childhood days of going to Illinois to visit my fathers family on the Zephyr.  The train is long gone now but she still has a memory   to go with.

With the Bedroom in the lower level, she was cut off from the world at night, so I installed cctv cameras viewing the front yard that displayed on the TV, and I put outside microphones with amp sound to the TV so she could now lay in bed and listen to the far off trains before she went to sleep.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Wife had never set foot on a train,  So, on one of our Anniversaries we had dinner and a train ride on the Minnesota Zephyr.  She was thrilled.  She had lived near the RR tracks growing up and loved the sound of the whistle and the trains at night.  I had described my childhood days of going to Illinois to visit my fathers family on the Zephyr.  The train is long gone now but she still has a memory   to go with.

With the Bedroom in the lower level, she was cut off from the world at night, so I installed cctv cameras viewing the front yard that displayed on the TV, and I put outside microphones with amp sound to the TV so she could now lay in bed and listen to the far off trains before she went to sleep.

What a great idea and loving compassion. :)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Anniversaries we had dinner and a train ride on the Minnesota Zephyr.  She was thrilled.  She had lived near the RR tracks growing up and loved the sound of the whistle and the trains at night.  I had described my childhood days of going to Illinois to visit my fathers family on the Zephyr.  The train is long gone now but she still has a memory   to go with.

You area good man, sir.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

C'mon.  It only sounds like I'm a good person.  I have it on good authority from any sources that I'm really an a'hole.!

I always thought so. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another picture of a Mallard, One of these holds the speed record for steam engines, 126 MPH. I've always liked trains. I even lived on a train once. When I was in the Air force in the early 70's I was assigned TDY to the Strategic Air Command Radar Bomb scoring squadron which had a train that moved up an down both the northern and southern hemispheres and sent radar signals to B52's. My job was to run the Generators aboard the train that provided power to the radar units. When I was with them we were in Utah for a couple of weeks and then in Canada near Calgary Alberta. My quarters aboard the train was a cozy little berth with a big picture window.  Those of us who had privately owned vehicles never rode on the train but would meet the train at it's final destination once it had re-located.

train126 mph.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Mallard is the holder of the world speed record for steam locomotives at 126 mph (203 km/h). The record was achieved on 3 July 1938 on the slight downward grade of Stoke Bank south of Grantham on the East Coast Main Line, and the highest speed was recorded at milepost 90¼, between Little Bytham and Essendine.

60022_Stoke_Bank_090662.jpg.558904df7039d15214da6df5e1777bc4.jpg

1331861015_The_Worlds_Fastest_Steam_Locomotive__Mallard_with_a_transitional_number_at_Kings_Cross_in_1948_-_2283205.jpg.40978c92edaaa7df467fb26e684e37d7.jpg

1024px-Mallard_Record_Plate_01.thumb.jpg.80d6903c6f9113693aee7a9e92f224a7.jpg

Number_4468_Mallard_in_York.thumb.jpg.e1106726f0d7856cab6f0c22f8c11134.jpg

• Like 2

Canadian Northern line.  And we both know you mean snow plow.  ;^>

I was on a train running from Ottawa to Montreal in the summer of 1998.  That plow was on a siding...anticipating winter!

Edited by theglock
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, theglock said:

Canadian Northern line.  And we both know you mean snow plow.  ;^>

I was on a train running from Ottawa to Montreal in the summer of 1998.  That plow was on a siding...anticipating winter!

Yes, snow plow.

But they do put on quite a show too.

• Like 6