Trains

Eric

2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Just a curious fact to add:

A couple of my family work in administrative positions for the Power company here.  I asked them what the "Peaking Plant" was along side the highway, on one of my trips.  He said that when The power output of our major plant was at max, and the peaking plant (turbine engine generator) came on line, there is a contracted stream of fuel trucks from the refinery to the peaking plant. 

When the peaking plant was running, you could look South down the highway, and there would never be a time when at least one fuel truck wasn't in sight.  This would have been a steady stream of fuel trucks to service the Turbine Generator as long as it was running.  Very expensive!

I have seen some with a gas pipeline for peak demand.

one of the power plants we deliver to in Michigan is going to go all natural gas next year.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I have seen some with a gas pipeline for peak demand.

one of the power plants we deliver to in Michigan is going to go all natural gas next year.

A pipeline would have been too long for this run.  Besides, you spend you lifetime trying to get a pipeline in MN.

Yeah.  The company argument is for less pollution.  The fact of the matter is cheaper costing fuel for the utility.  Then the volume of consumption will go up and so will the price for everyone.

Edited by janice6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

o.jpg

"C&O Engine #231 shorty before the tunnel collapse. This is the train that is currently entombed underneath Jefferson Park."

Image_8.jpg

RichmondMap.jpg

The Triple Crossing, is just north of Mayo Island. The tunnel should never have been built; the land is blue marl and unstable as heck. It's the cause of a lot of the houses in Church Hill having a lean - The Church Hill Lean.  :)   The 1925 tunnel collapse swallowed the Rectory of St. John's Church; the church where Patrick Henry made his famous speech. It's still an active church, too.

I was married there in 1986 fwiw. After the ceremony we went up the aisle with the bells ringing and out the front door into the sunshine... to be greeted by 2 busloads of Asian tourists with cameras waiting for the historical tour and maybe the re-enactment of the speech. They were as surprised as we were.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I was very small, my father took the family to visit his family in Illinois, on the train.  He believed that we children should experience riding a train before they were all gone.  Nothing is as empty and lonely as an empty train terminal.

• Like 4

Show plow for the railroads?

Indeed. Railroads have two basic techniques for getting through snow. The drill and the bullet.

These and pilot plows are the bullets. Full speed ahead and knock the snow away.

Rotary plows are the drills. Move slow and steady into the snow with that huge blade spinning. Slice the snow and throw it out the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1