XDM 10mm 4.5

refugeepj

image.png.fd2ebbba3b1984b24edd9bf9064fc593.png

100% reliable

trigger lighter than my Glocks, I'll get better with it as i get used to th trigger

three 180 grain reloads (Autocomp, Longshot and Silhouette)

three bullets, hard cast, coated lead and plated

next time out, will try some factory Hornady and Sig Arms

120 rounds

• Like 6

Does it look like this? I'm glad that more gun sin 10mm are being made because as the caliber becomes more popular more ammo choices will be made available and ammo prices will come down. Two things I'd like to see happen are this:

#1 I'd like to see S&B, Magtech, and Armscor load up full power versions of their 180 grain FMJ "Plinking" ammo. Ands what I mean by that is t3ehy should load it to 1200 feet per second. That's what the original Norma ammo was but that was for even heavier 200 grain bullets. S&B and Magtech come close at 1164 fps but I'd like to see it loaded to a full 1200 fps. The 10mm is the magnum or auto loading cartridges and it should be loaded to magnum velocities.

#2 I'd like to see Federal create a 180 grain HST bullet made to preform at 1200 fps and offer a Federal HST 10mm load that would sell for the same price as a box of 50 45 ACP HST rounds.

As far as the gun itself, I would prefer to see it with a 5 inch barrel rather than a 4.5.

10 mm-l.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TeaDub said:

Very cool. Were the reloads full power or a bit softer? I don't have any 10s but I really like the XD series in 45. The Croatians really did well with the design IMO. Enjoy the new toy. :cheers:

just over mid range for each powder. Longshot giving the most velocity.

the other two are basic plinking loads in the mid 1100 FPS range.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Borg warner said:

As far as the gun itself, I would prefer to see it with a 5 inch barrel rather than a 4.5.

I'm actually OK with the 4.0, 4.5 and 5.25 inch barrel options that SA offers in most of their full sized guns. In 10mm, 4.5 and 5.25 is a decent balance. I'm more interested in a 3.5 inch barrel vs the 3.0 they currently offer in their other double stack, compact guns.

56 minutes ago, TeaDub said:

I'm actually OK with the 4.0, 4.5 and 5.25 inch barrel options that SA offers in most of their full sized guns. In 10mm, 4.5 and 5.25 is a decent balance. I'm more interested in a 3.5 inch barrel vs the 3.0 they currently offer in their other double stack, compact guns.

I didn't know they offered a 5.25 barrel. That would be my choice. If I wanted a smaller gun for concealment that still had some punch, I'd pick a 40 caliber single stack rather than trying to conceal a full size large frame gun with a 3.5 barrel.  I just think that larger frame full size guns are best carried OWB and if you're going to do that, you might as well have a 5 inch barrel just like a 1911. And with a high pressure cartridge like the 10mm, every inch of barrel that you add results in an increase in velocity an every inch you give up results in a decrease.

55 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

And with a high pressure cartridge like the 10mm, every inch of barrel that you add results in an increase in velocity an every inch you give up results in a decrease.

That's why I installed a KKM 4.5" barrel in my G29 for woods carry so I get the compact size with the performance of a full-size pistol...

Click image for larger version.   Name: Wf-lVOVvwrjxpKNPTUxO9jsg9ERbtQxbPAGsnYF-1CIpX92IB.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 50.4 KB  ID: 229119

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

Lonewolf used to sell a "tactical length" slide for the G20, 5.1 inches or something like that.  They show up for sale from time to time still though.

I have a 5 inch barrel in my Glock 20 and it just sticks out a little past the slide and the gun still fits in a standard holster. I'm happy with that arrangement and the the extra 1/2 inch of barrel actually gives me a little more velocity than the factory barrel so I'm happy with that as well. The barrel was a 6 inch stainless lone wolf barrel and I didn't likre how the gun balanced in my hand with the longer barel so I cut it back to 5 inches then I had it Cerakoted black.

The other good thing about the barrel is that it has a twist rate that accommodates the 220 grain bullets and I've heard that some Glock factory barrels do not stabilize those bullets, but mine does.

glockt.jpg

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I have a 5 inch barrel in my Glock 20 and it just sticks out a little past the slide and the gun still fits in a standard holster. I'm happy with that arrangement and the the extra 1/2 inch of barrel actually gives me a little more velocity than the factory barrel so I'm happy with that as well. The barrel was a 6 inch stainless lone wolf barrel and I didn't likre how the gun balanced in my hand with the longer barel so I cut it back to 5 inches then I had it Cerakoted black.

The other good thing about the barrel is that it has a twist rate that accommodates the 220 grain bullets and I've heard that some Glock factory barrels do not stabilize those bullets, but mine does.

glockt.jpg

Yeah, that looks nice.

Lonewolf had some Alphawolf barrels marked as blemished in the 6 3/4 inch threaded version, so I picked up one of them.  It's longer than I'd like, and frankly looks a little silly, but I couldn't pass it up for when the suppressor finally gets to me.  I'm not sure what the blemish was, it was sealed in the packaging not a mark to be seen, so who knows.

2 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Yeah, that looks nice.

Lonewolf had some Alphawolf barrels marked as blemished in the 6 3/4 inch threaded version, so I picked up one of them.  It's longer than I'd like, and frankly looks a little silly, but I couldn't pass it up for when the suppressor finally gets to me.  I'm not sure what the blemish was, it was sealed in the packaging not a mark to be seen, so who knows.

Once you put a suppressor on it the extra barrel length won't make that much difference depending on how long the suppressor is. And you'll want to be able to shoot t3eh heavy bullets to keep velocity subsonic but still have better ballistics than you would with lighter bullets. with 180 grain bullets at 1000 fps that's no better than a 40 S&W but a 220 grain bullet at 1000 fps is better than any 40 S&W can do,

But with the extra barrel length you will also gain velocity so you'll need a chronograph to be able to keep those loads subsonic. as far as factory ammo CCI blazer 200 grain ammo is only rated at 1050 fps the same as PMC. but I don't know what barrel lengths they used to get those figures.

29 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Once you put a suppressor on it the extra barrel length won't make that much difference depending on how long the suppressor is. And you'll want to be able to shoot t3eh heavy bullets to keep velocity subsonic but still have better ballistics than you would with lighter bullets. with 180 grain bullets at 1000 fps that's no better than a 40 S&W but a 220 grain bullet at 1000 fps is better than any 40 S&W can do,

But with the extra barrel length you will also gain velocity so you'll need a chronograph to be able to keep those loads subsonic. as far as factory ammo CCI blazer 200 grain ammo is only rated at 1050 fps the same as PMC. but I don't know what barrel lengths they used to get those figures.

Yeah, I have a chronograph, a good supply of AA9, 800X, and the lee 410-210 mold that's dropping 215 grain rounds for me to powdercoat, and lee sizer to .401.  I haven't gotten around to loading any up yet, mostly because my range is tall grass and I haven't been making much 10mm brass lately.  I might just end up loading them into .40 brass and loading them at 10mm length because I have a decent supply of .40 brass courtesy of my uncle on a local swat team.  

The suppressor is for .45 cal, but I'm not actually a fan of that caliber for some reason.  I like my 10mm so easier to just get another barrel for it when I want to go plinking suppressed.  Not really giving up much as the heavier 45 loads I've seen are only in the 250 grain range and quite a bit slower.

• 1 month later...