Bodycam Footage Shows Police Shootout in Tulsa, Oklahoma

TBO

I watched that awhile back.  The one moment I thought wtf was when an officer took “cover” behind a gas pump.  But I realized just a bit later the big brick pillar was probably in line with the dirtbag. 

This is what happens when you are too nice. If they had been assholes from the start they probably could have avoided the shooting situation.  But the bodycam footage would have looked worse.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve4102 said:

What was that the cop fired into the car at the 19:24 mark?

Pepperball gun. It's a glorified paintball gun that launches balls filled with OC powder (pepper spray powder). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

I watched that awhile back.  The one moment I thought wtf was when an officer took “cover” behind a gas pump.  But I realized just a bit later the big brick pillar was probably in line with the dirtbag. 

This is what happens when you are too nice. If they had been *******s from the start they probably could have avoided the shooting situation.  But the bodycam footage would have looked worse.  

In today's climate if they enforced the law w/o giving him an opportunity to resist/attack they might be prosecuted...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

This is what happens when you are too nice. If they had been *******s from the start they probably could have avoided the shooting situation.  But the bodycam footage would have looked worse.  

1 hour ago, TBO said:

In today's climate if they enforced the law w/o giving him an opportunity to resist/attack they might be prosecuted...

I've gotten fuel at that place a few times and glad I missed that little shindig. TPTB have put TPD in full-on "community policing/Officer Friendly" mode, including a recent announcement about revising training protocols during the academy to move away from being "militaristic" so as to develop "problem-solving skills." On the one hand, better communication skills are always an improvement in dealing with the public, along with a sense of discernment of when to be a d*ck and when not to be. I certainly hope there is no reduction in officer safety skills training and no bad outcomes from officers being made to second-guess their choice. I know for a fact there are some walking erections in TPD uniforms that like nothing better than rousting an otherwise peaceful citizen. The videos get shown on the news occasionally. A reduction there would be a good thing, IMO. 

In this particular case, it was plainly obvious the cops were dealing with dirtbags of the first order, both the male and the female. Five years ago, this would have been a quick "cuff and stuff" for the female while the male would have been left oozing his precious bodily fluids all over the driver's seat and the ambulance could have been "slow-rolled". 

4 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Agreed.  While the waited a while for backup, they let the suspect negotiate for far too long.  Of course, this is my non-LEO Monday-morning quarterbacking view in 20/20 hindsight.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, blackjack said:

Five years ago, this would have been a quick "cuff and stuff" for the female while the male would have been left oozing his precious bodily fluids all over the driver's seat and the ambulance could have been "slow-rolled". 

I'm good with that.  "Unit 2345, can you stop by Slow Pho to Go and pick me up a #6 on your way?"