Joined the Best Millimeter Club

c10bonanza

I purchased a new Glock 20 Gen 4 yesterday.  A local shop had a great deal I couldn’t pass up—$550 OTD.

Now to find some good deals on plinking ammo.  The cheapest I’m seeing is around 30¢  per round at sgammo.com and targetsportsusa.com.   Anyone know where it can be had cheaper?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, refugeepj said:

Target sports has it for $14.79 a box of 50 which is 30 cents a round but you have to buy it in bulk (500 rounds) to be eligible for free shipping. 30cents a round/$15.00 a box is about the best you/re going to do. I don't like the Armscor ammo because velocity for the 180 grain FMJ is only 1,008 fps, no better than a 40 S&W. S&B and Magtec are better at 1164 fps but PPU is not much better than Armscor at only 1084 fps as compared to Armscor's 1008 fps.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

The new Gen 4 G20 around here is still north of $600 after tax. Sounds like you found a good deal, congrats. 

I'm still using 3rd Gen S&W's in 10mm myself, I have been waiting and hoping they make a no finger grove Gen 5 G20 so I can join the 10mm striker club. 

5 hours ago, Borg warner said:

Target sports has it for $14.79 a box of 50 which is 30 cents a round but you have to buy it in bulk (500 rounds) to be eligible for free shipping. 30cents a round/$15.00 a box is about the best you/re going to do. I don't like the Armscor ammo because velocity for the 180 grain FMJ is only 1,008 fps, no better than a 40 S&W. S&B and Magtec are better at 1164 fps but PPU is not much better than Armscor at only 1084 fps as compared to Armscor's 1008 fps.

i was getting the S&B 180's for $13 obama bucks/50 at my LGS, but not lately. they don't last long at that price.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:06 PM, Mike said:

The new Gen 4 G20 around here is still north of $600 after tax. Sounds like you found a good deal, congrats. 

I'm still using 3rd Gen S&W's in 10mm myself, I have been waiting and hoping they make a no finger grove Gen 5 G20 so I can join the 10mm striker club. 

I have a Gen3 G20SF and what I did was just file and sand down the ridges of the finger grooves and leave the checkering in between. that way it isn't a radical modification and still looks somewhat "Factory" but it allows you fingers to assume a natural position when you grasp the gun and makes a big difference. For me, it actually improved my group sizes. I also just slightly undercut the trigger guard on the right side and just slightly beveled it on the left.

I don't care if it reduces the resale value of the gun because I never intend to sell it, but if I did and I lost 50 bucks on the gun, I'm willing to pay that much to have the gun fit me better and allow me to shoot it more accurately.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 2

G20 is a great gun and you did get a good deal. I've had mine for a couple years now and it is my primary handgun and EDC.

For plinking just pick pick up some off the shelf 40 S&W. It will cycle just fine and won't break the bank.

Then get online and order some of the real deal from Underwood. You will be impressed!

On 10/18/2018 at 11:00 PM, refugeepj said:

i was getting the S&B 180's for $13 obama bucks/50 at my LGS, but not lately. they don't last long at that price.

That’s a great price.  Cheapest I’ve seen is 30¢ a round, and usually closer to 40¢

for those of you who roll their own, what is your cost per round, and is that a full power load and a ~.40S&W load?

6 hours ago, fortyofforty said:

If I did a lot of hiking or traveling in the woods, I'd give the 10mm more consideration.  For now, ammunition cost is one factor holding me back from acquiring one.  It's a very capable round, of course, suitable for both two and four-legged creatures.

That’s exactly why I bought.  I do a far amount of woods wandering in my area.  No bears or cats here, but we do have feral hogs and rabid meth-heads.  

We go to Colorado 2-3 times a year and do a fair amount of hiking and fly fishing.  This past August we crossed paths with a mountain lion.  That was a pucker moment and a big reason why I’m in the 10 club now. 

43 minutes ago, crockett said:

Congrats on a great gun as well as caliber.

You knew that this would come out of my corner: 50 rounds for $8.86. Remember that suggested Lyman press? :supergrin:

Image1.png

Crockett,

Out of curiosity,... what's your favorite powder for full power 10mm? I do reload but never messed around with the mighty 10.

thx.

41 minutes ago, crockett said:

Congrats on a great gun as well as caliber.

You knew that this would come out of my corner: 50 rounds for $8.86. Remember that suggested Lyman press? :supergrin:

Image1.png

Thanks for posting this.. I see from the Aliant load data that 9.3 grains of power pistol gives 1296 fps with a 180 grain bullet out of a 5 inch barrel.  Is that the weight of the Rainnier bullets that you're using? I've never tried Power Pistol in the 10mm, I've only used Blue dot, Longshot, and AA9 and wouldn't have thought that a faster burning powder would give those kinds of velocities.  I mostly use Power Pistol for the 44 special and for reduced loads in the 41 mag.

10 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Crockett,

Out of curiosity,... what's your favorite powder for full power 10mm? I do reload but never messed around with the mighty 10.

thx.

Alliant Sport Pistol, N320 and LOVEX D036-03.

1 minute ago, Borg warner said:

Thanks for posting this.. I see from the Aliant load data that 9.3 grains of power pistol gives 1296 fps with a 180 grain bullet out of a 5 inch barrel.  Is that the weight of the Rainnier bullets that you're using? I've never tried Power Pistol in the 10mm, I've only used Blue dot, Longshot, and AA9 and wouldn't have thought that a faster burning powder would give those kinds of velocities.  I mostly use Power Pistol for the 44 special and for reduced loads in the 41 mag.

That was just a random load example. I have stocked:

Rainier 10mm 135gr PFN
Rainier 10mm 165gr PFN
Rainier 10mm 180gr PHP

The Rainier 165gr PFN is my go to plinking round.  Used to load it with 6.8gr Bullseye for ever. Dirty but very accurate.

Power pistol was the go too powder for hot 10mm rounds for a long time.  9.6gr of PP pushes many 180gr projectiles like the XTP past 1400 FPS @ 800 plus ftLBS.-lb.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

I'm eyeing that Ruger Match 10mm and chances are I will be reloading 10 soon... Thanks!

The GP-100 frame is great, have one in .327 Federal Magnum. It will hold up to hot loads very well.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Crockett,

thx.

Those are all fast burning powders, good for Plinking loads but not so much for full power loads. For full power loads I've always used Blue dot, Long shot, AA7 and AA9 but it sounds like Power Pistol works well and it's about the same burn rate as 800x which is another medium-slow (Slower than Unique) burn rate powder that produces high velocity and a lot of people like to load 800x beyond maximum to get even higher velocities but that's never a good idea.

I like to get the most power I can out of the 10mm and with the Glock 20 the recoil is never a problem even with the heaviest loads.

Edited by Borg warner

21 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Crockett,

thx.

Those are all fast burning powders, good for Plinking loads but not so much for full power loads. For full power loads I've always used Blue dot, Long shot, AA7 and AA9 but it sounds like Power Pistol works well and it's about the same burn rate as 800x which is another medium-slow (Slower than Unique) burn rate powder that produces high velocity and a lot of people like to load 800x beyond maximum to get even higher velocities but that's never a good idea.

I like to get the most power I can out of the 10mm and with the Glock 20 the recoil is never a problem even with the heaviest loads.

Borg,

Have you used TrueBlue for 10mm? There's no data in the Western Powders site, yet is a very slow burner, even suitable - according to them - for up to .454 Casull.

12 minutes ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Borg,

Have you used TrueBlue for 10mm? There's no data in the Western Powders site, yet is a very slow burner, even suitable - according to them - for up to .454 Casull.

I've never tried it, but Ramshot True blue is similar in burn rate to Blue dot and that's where it got it's name but I've never tried it,  But Ramshot Enforcer is about the same burnrate as AA9 and I would think it would be better for 454 Casull.

Here's a burn rate chart showing the different western powders;

http://www.reloadammo.com/ramshot-burnrate2.htm

2 hours ago, Borg warner said:

Crockett,

thx.

Many don't load the ten to 200 to 230 gr anymore. Since UnderWood showed some stubborn people how it's done, many reloader focus on penetration, hence velocity.

I did a **** ton of bullet pulldowns. Blue dot, Long shot, AA7 and AA9 is all old school, for 230gr at best.

Buy and try some of the new powders like CFE Pistol, Alliant Sport Pistol and LOVEX powders. By the way LOVEX D036-03 is not fast, it is past X-800. X-800 is a terrible powder, it spikes quickly.

10mm 100gr, flying at 1,825 FPS is the new standard. You won't find any Blue dot, Long shot, AA7 or AA9 in it. I looked. With an electronic microscope. And compared with my stocked powders as well as the FBI smokeless powder photo database.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/10mm-auto-100-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=7865934512185

Edited by crockett
  • Thanks 1