No more EBR for me; how to camo your AR...

PNWguy

My new AR build was focused on creating a light, handy carbine with enough medicine to be effective against whatever I encountered while hiking, camping, fishing, and off-roading in Idaho.  I used a PSA Magpul lower, an AR-Stoner upper in .450 Bushmaster, and converted some USGI mags with special followers to come up with an 8lb carbine that holds 9 rounds of some thumper medicine.

Since it was going to be solely used as a woods gun, I gave it one of my proprietary camo jobs that I have done on a few of my other hunting rifles.

Before:

e68DZDQRUCYtPoDCU2BeDdma8okwy-fbwYK8pET7WO0pX92IB.jpg.492231c971af993675e9dcc8923b4c3a.jpg

First I removed all accessories and optics and taped up anything that I didn't want paint in and sprayed the base coat of OD green using Krylon Camouflage spray paint:

VHh9AdyZnG8PpYG6R9dErL5WcCRM63DP_iQogDgkbBEpX92IB.jpg.0bc767cdc46909c71fbfad251f7931d5.jpg

Next, I listened to some Pink Floyd because I was totally stoned from the paint fumes in an enclosed space...

Went outside, naked, and selected some leaves from trees in my yard to use for patterns...

sMK_Cr8EHmWGSG-IPrxzfJ2yKkdHRiqw5UCLaSzmwfwpX92IB.jpg.1a69f01818c6c846a5977c6a6eb7fdf5.jpg

Then I started the artistic process of layering different patterns with different colors of flat spray paint.  The hard part is getting the perfect blend of color and pattern, and I have never really been completely satisfied with the results.

_OKFURc0PiS-Y_UOsHmijV2MzBmPr06U7F7ncb1srg4pX92IB.jpg.510ff5107b2d211a00eaf2c6969941ac.jpg

But, it is done and now I just have to let it cure for a day or two before putting the accessories back on...

RF3lrwLkoyUXGJqCMVLSHxODwOMbq1r5vZtF-5VxDkopX92IB.jpg.03b67a8c844391342af641d1ebf93d70.jpg

The great thing about the Krylon job is that it is cheap, easy, and totally functional.  Sure, it will develop wear spots and chip off in spots, but who cares?  It's a woods gun and as long as it blends in and allows perfect functioning, it is all good.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That looks cool.  Good job!  I’m guessing it took a good amount of degreasing prior to paint?

I’ve got a new 12” 6.5g pistol that is calling out for a camo job.  I’m thinking lighter than yours and trying to do a kryptek style, but I’ve got much research to do and planning.  

Enjoy your fresh, new tool. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GlockPride said:

That looks cool.  Good job!  I’m guessing it took a good amount of degreasing prior to paint?

Just wiped it down with Windex with vinegar and used a Q-Tip to remove all traces of oil in the crevices.  Haven't ever had issues with orange peel using the Krylon camo paint.

That looks good.

Mine is just basic black, but I figure I'm more likely to spook the critters than the color of my weapon is, so.... I take the easy way out!

Plus, mine only has a 12" barrel, and shorter is less evil, right? :D

Edited by 9x19
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Both look fantastic. I don't have the courage to mess up one of my rifles like that, because me doing the work, it would be a mess. I have a Ruger 10/22 receiver that has a whole bunch of parts added that I planned to do, have all the paint sitting on the shelf, had bought some stencil pattern from a craft store, and that is as far as the project got. Some day....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:20 PM, PNWguy said:

I like the use of mesh material to get that pattern!  You obviously weren't drinking when you did yours...  :crylikeender:

In custom car painting, the technique of "Lace painting" was started, when a custom car painter just cleaned his gun by spraying at a pair of panties on the bench, leaving a lace pattern on the background.  The effect is now a standard in custom painting, yet there was no explanation of how the panties got into the painting area of the shop...………..

Go for effect.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 7:42 PM, janice6 said:

In custom car painting, the technique of "Lace painting" was started, when a custom car painter just cleaned his gun by spraying at a pair of panties on the bench, leaving a lace pattern on the background.  The effect is now a standard in custom painting, yet there was no explanation of how the panties got into the painting area of the shop...………..

Go for effect.

I did a motorcycle gas tank with that method. tom. :fred:

• Thanks 1