1st year of Trump, deficit up 17%

Moeman

I know your political leanings and, unlike many many here, I don't care.  I have in-laws that are much more communist than you will ever be.  To each his own.

Will he pull it out of his hat with his "Trump" business genius?

He's crazy like a fox?

I don't know.

I like what he thinks he's  trying to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

I know your political leanings and, unlike many many here, I don't care.  I have in-laws that are much more communist than you will ever be.  To each his own.

Will he pull it out of his hat with his "Trump" business genius?

He's crazy like a fox?

I don't know.

I like what he thinks he's  trying to do.

My leanings are fiscal conservative. My businessman leaning are don’t screw comtrators on BK. My moral leanings are if you are married keep your scholng under a zipper.

clear about me now? 

And what hat is he trying to do? 

Edited by Moeman

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Could be.  Your posting history shows you are anti-Trump.  Which is OK.

More lefty, I think.

Yes, anti con man Trump. And guess what that doesn’t make one anything else. 

Suppose you want more deficit spending. Or... are you predicting the deficit will go down under Trump? Have some stones and put it in black and white. I predicted and predict the tax plan will continue to add to the debt. The 17% in one year is not a rounding error, it is a travesty. 

Trump inherited this debt spiral plus it is a political impossibility to cut entitlements. 

Trump is not going to be the bad guy cutting Medicare and Social Security and taking the heat for reckless entitlement laws and spending done by previous generations.

Plus, the trade deficit and budget deficit are tied together.  If Trump balances trade, the budget will balance.

But that is not what we really want, is it?

• Like 2

I consider myself a Constitutional Conservative (see signature).  Trump wasn't my first choice, but I'm happy to have him.  Happy that he's doing exactly what he campaigned on, a refreshing change.

With that said, I find it difficult to grasp an increasing deficit with record breaking revenue coming in.  Where is it all going?  Balancing out the trade deficit will certainly help.  But how about paying down some of our debt?

Edited by minderasr
  • Like 2

If you read the Constitution, the budget is the responsibility of the House.  The President has only two options: veto the bill, or sign it.  The Senate has input after the House has introduced the budget.  

What actually happens of course is a lot of horse trading and what goes to the President is what has finally evolved enough to pass both houses.  

As both John Kennedy and Ronald Reagan proved, what you do first is lower taxes.  That stimulates the economy, which creates  more jobs, which then creates more tax revenue for the government.  The problem with both was that they both had Democrat controlled Houses, so the spending then blasted past the increased income and created more deficit spending.  

Trump has started that cycle again.  He has had to put up with the never-Trumper RINOs.  So if you want the deficit cut, and the debt cut, you follow in the tracks of John Kennedy.  

And don’t get upset about my use of President Kennedy.  It is historic fact, and that is what I go by, not political labels.  

22 minutes ago, minderasr said:

I consider myself a Constitutional Conservative.  Trump wasn't my first choice, but I'm happy to have him.  Happy that he's doing exactly what he campaigned on, a refreshing change.

With that said, I find it difficult to grasp an increasing deficit with record breaking revenue coming in.  Where is it all going?  Balancing out the trade deficit will certainly help.  But how about paying down some of our debt?

It usually takes a couple of years for the income to really hit, and you still have to get the budget through both houses, too many of whom see only more vote buying and lining their own pockets ability.  Term limits, anyone?  

Hawk 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Moeman said:

No new wars, bailout of Wall Street, lower business tax spend more on the DOD etc. your analysis?

"President Trump will ask all secretaries in his Cabinet on Wednesday to reduce their spending by five percent for fiscal year 2020, as the administration announced the federal budget deficit has surged to its highest level in six years."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-to-ask-cabinet-secretaries-to-cut-spending-by-5-percent-for-fiscal-year-2020

• Like 1

As Hawk of Brown so ably remarked, Congress is responsible for spending and they blew up the deficit beyond any realized income from the tax cuts with the omnibus spending bill.

Consider that a family of four with one working parent  receives a $50.00 per week, net of taxes,  raise in salary.

The rest of the family immediately begins to spend $200.00 per week more.

• Like 4

This type of thing is like trying to stop a freight train. I’ve never seen one [freight train] stop on a dime. They slow down similarly to how they speed up: gradually. 

Its the same with the national debt and spending programs. Keep pulling on the reins and eventually you’ll fix the problem, but I’m betting it’ll take more than 8 years. 

Edited by GlockTrader45
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brown Hawk said:

If you read the Constitution, the budget is the responsibility of the House.  The President has only two options: veto the bill, or sign it.  The Senate has input after the House has introduced the budget.  

What actually happens of course is a lot of horse trading and what goes to the President is what has finally evolved enough to pass both houses.  

As both John Kennedy and Ronald Reagan proved, what you do first is lower taxes.  That stimulates the economy, which creates  more jobs, which then creates more tax revenue for the government.  The problem with both was that they both had Democrat controlled Houses, so the spending then blasted past the increased income and created more deficit spending.  

Trump has started that cycle again.  He has had to put up with the never-Trumper RINOs.  So if you want the deficit cut, and the debt cut, you follow in the tracks of John Kennedy.  

And don’t get upset about my use of President Kennedy.  It is historic fact, and that is what I go by, not political labels.  

It usually takes a couple of years for the income to really hit, and you still have to get the budget through both houses, too many of whom see only more vote buying and lining their own pockets ability.  Term limits, anyone?  

Hawk 

Uh ok, but Reagan was the first President post WW2 to raise the deficit. No wars other than the Cold War.

BTW the Cold War with China has restarted ..l  thanks to ?

Edited by Moeman

2 hours ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Except for the word "now",... yeah - You're a ****ing moron.

Thanks! Coming from a delusional being called a moron gives me a laugh. If you can’t distill the message and circle the toilet being a hater... go on! Bring the septic slime.

36 minutes ago, Moeman said:

Uh ok, but Reagan was the first President post WW2 to raise the deficit. No wars other than the Cold War.

BTW the Cold War with China has restarted ..l  thanks to ?

Again, I am sorry to contradict you, but the deficit is a Congressional responsibility, not a Presidential one.  And it is generally done because Congress can’t rein in it’s greed and spending.  Presidents are blamed because the Members don’t want to remind their voters that THEY are the culprits.  And yes, Presidents sign the bills, but you are still looking at the horse trading involved.  

And sorry again, but WHAT Cold War?  No bombers on fifteen minute launch alert, or missiles either.  Ships at sea on normal watches, fast reaction forces on standby are company sized, not division sized.  Now, because some Chicken Littles are screaming that the sky is falling, we’re in a Cold War?  

In a real Cold War, the rhetoric gets less, and the noise gets lower, because it is serious, not jockeying for position.  Ask anyone who went through the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Yes, there is still rhetoric, but not on the high level of jockeying, because no sane leader wants to rule a thousand square miles of parking lot.  And despite Mr. Stewart’s statement above, Trump is neither stupid nor suicidal, and neither are the Chinese leaders.  

Hawk

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Brown Hawk said:

Again, I am sorry to contradict you, but the deficit is a Congressional responsibility, not a Presidential one.  And it is generally done because Congress can’t rein in it’s greed and spending.  Presidents are blamed because the Members don’t want to remind their voters that THEY are the culprits.  And yes, Presidents sign the bills, but you are still looking at the horse trading involved.  

And sorry again, but WHAT Cold War?  No bombers on fifteen minute launch alert, or missiles either.  Ships at sea on normal watches, fast reaction forces on standby are company sized, not division sized.  Now, because some Chicken Littles are screaming that the sky is falling, we’re in a Cold War?  

In a real Cold War, the rhetoric gets less, and the noise gets lower, because it is serious, not jockeying for position.  Ask anyone who went through the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Yes, there is still rhetoric, but not on the high level of jockeying, because no sane leader wants to rule a thousand square miles of parking lot.  And despite Mr. Stewart’s statement above, Trump is neither stupid nor suicidal, and neither are the Chinese leaders.  

Hawk

Yeah, I have the Congress education for decades. Who sets the tax plan when Congress is a push button like Reagan and Trump? Mmm....? Trump taxes and raised spending, with Congress being compliant. You wanna wager if the trend continues? 

8 minutes ago, minervadoe said:

Big surprise.  The president was not able to reel in a big spending congress.  Remember how the press tries to crucify any Republican administration when they can't pass a balanced budget (because they are trying to cut costs).

It is not just what congress spends it is the tax code too. Anyway, sure you know that...

1 hour ago, Moeman said:

Yeah, I have the Congress education for decades. Who sets the tax plan when Congress is a push button like Reagan and Trump? Mmm....? Trump taxes and raised spending, with Congress being compliant. You wanna wager if the trend continues? 

Reagan had Democrat majority in both House and Senate for eight years, so how did he have a push button Congress?  

How does Trump have a push-button Congress that refuses to confirm nominations to the Cabinet and others for months?  That has members that declare the Resistance and talks of impeachment before he even takes the oath of office.  That has members who advocate violence against anyone in the White House.  That push button Congress?  

We’ve already gone over who does the spending.  

1 hour ago, Moeman said:

It is not just what congress spends it is the tax code too. Anyway, sure you know that...

And who produces the tax code?  

If you want to have a discussion, I am willing.  Just bring facts and logic.  

If all you want to do is throw out the same factless and logic free allegations, please feel free to do so, while I’m free to ignore you.

If you just want to start a fight, I have better ways to spend my time.  

Hawk 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2018/10/17/tightening-the-belt-trump-wants-federal-government-to-shrink-n2529406

Cut the Fat: President Trump Just Instructed His Cabinet to Shrink the Federal Government

President Donald Trump held a Cabinet meeting at the White House Wednesday and instructed each of its members to cut at least five percent from their department budgets.

"Some [Cabinet secretaries] will say, I can do much more than 5 [percent]," Trump said. "Get rid of the fat, get rid of the waste."

"It'll have a huge impact," he continued.

• Like 2