New M&P40c arrived today.

PNWguy

My full circle carry gun arrived at my FFL today.  Not sure if I posted my carry gun saga here or not, but the short story is that I started CCWing in 1994 and I had a S&W 686.  Then I went to other full-size autos such as the Beretta 96, Glock 22, 24c(yes, I carried that monster), 31, and then a Walther PP9.  I moved to AZ and got serious about CCW and bought my first compact auto, a S&W M&P40c, along with it's big brother, the M&P40 full-size.  Loved those pistols!  The little guy was amazingly accurate, good trigger, easy to conceal, and never a single hiccup.

It was my only CCW pistol for about ten years.  Then I got bit by the sub-compact craze and bought a Shield PC in 9mm.  Sold the M&P40c to a friend who needed a carry gun but couldn't afford one.  I accepted payments and sold it for $350 including 100rds, an excellent Don Hume IWB holster, X-Grip adapter, and an M&P40 full-size magazine.  He made all the payments on time and ended up giving me an extra $20 for interest.

The PC Shield had a barrel flaw and after being returned from S&W with another flaw, I sold it and bought an XDS 40 that I absolutely love.  Incredibly accurate and concealable, but only holds 6 rounds.  Carried it for a year and then bought a Taurus G2c on a whim and loved the size and 12rd capacity of 9mm.  Hated the trigger.

That got me searching for another carry gun with at least 10rds of .40 S&W, close to the G2c in size, and under $500.

Realized that the M&P40c fit the bill perfectly.  Found one on CDNN with night sights for $349.  Plus a $50 rebate from S&W.  Ordered it while in Japan and it arrived at my FFL yesterday.

Picked it up and stopped by a gravel pit on the way home to function test it.  Only ran a few rounds through it.  LOVE IT!

Trigger is nice; light and crisp.  Points wonderfully.  The accuracy?  So far so good.  First magazine was with my match reloads at 7yds and managed both 5-shot groups of around 1 1/4".

Then I backed up 20yds and put three rounds, off-hand, into a 1 5/8" group.  No cleaning and fresh out of the box.  Shoots a little to the right, but will have to put A LOT more rounds through it to determine if it's the pistol or me.

Very happy!

7SAzXdTzk9qUaC9mMUP9QfdwZcCj8R7GostTCgj__OwpX92IB.jpg.2d37801a3e2b0dbb3c49d27e054d25a5.jpg

It's amazingly close in size to the G2c and my XDS with maybe 3/8" longer in length and height than the XDS and same height as the G2c with the finger extension mag inserted.

17MqzyPse2lBmjHS9rzcsQm3dr3JJaDrLyjqjM1BBoYpX92IB.jpg.5bda6418a0f8d83ea0942facf2cd3eb2.jpg

RVTtgM41QCuXg_ve_mnqnhOVxiQhAR3AKS5iCItKwgQpX92IB.jpg.923987900d761d53c6224679982790d2.jpg

Got it home, did a thorough cleaning and inspection, unpackaged my new Don Hume holster that I ordered after I ordered the M&P, and once again I have the best carry combo for me...

dxMdh_a7FF5n50V5ViKlepMR9PL-MutQgn8r-RM0HcwpX92IB.jpg.e5bdd4d1b3bfe97957c3d060200d881a.jpgQwz_iUKObvDq4Yn7fkVLglYVQ59FfmbC0WRvG4C4AeQpX92IB.jpg.7386ff64c2d298e28b4bcd709a04ae90.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a nice little gun. I've never had a polymer S&W but I've shot both the 9mm and the 40 Shields and liked them better than the G43 but I'm more familiar with how Glocks come apart an go back together and every Glock I've owned has been 100 percent reliable xo I've been reluctant to go with another brand. But I never hear anything but good about the S&W autos.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oddly enough, when I took it to the range and did some official 25yd groups, it was awful.  Best group I could get was with reloads and 4".  My preferred carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense 165gr and it HATED that with a 9" group.

Ordered a replacement barrel and worked up some loads using the Hornady XTP 180gr and got a best group today of 2" using the original barrel.  The replacement barrel was actually worse.

bestgroup1.jpg.2b46f6e8bcccdcd638cde1b241019a4c.jpg